IGN Japan “From Voice Actors to Mini-Games”

Currently playing
Yakuza 0 (PS4)
PSN
HoshiGAKiteiku

IGN Japan has come forth with another lovely article for Shenmue 3 concerning information obtained from Tokyo Game Show 2019

Some highlights:

- Voice actor Takahiro Sakurai (who plays Cloud in the Japanese Final Fantasy VII Remake dub) returns to reprise his role of Lan Di from Shenmue 1&2.

- While there are many drinks, unfortunately there are no animations of Ryo drinking them as there were in Shenmue 1 & 2 due to development time restraints

- Ryo returns to his room at 9pm.

- After returning to their rooms Ryo and Shenhua have a conversation about the days events before going to bed. It’s an interactive and branching conversion that can greatly impact the games narrative

- There are plans for several DLCs post launch, with 3 being action/story content and others being gambling/minigame related.

Sorry for any incorrect translations, on the part of myself and of Google Translate.

Last edited:
9pm is an early end to the day compared to previous games. I wonder if that's Bailu only? It seems like there should be a bit of night time activity in Chobu. I also wonder if you can still end the day early, then -- I hope you can.

Three action/story DLCs, plus gambling/mini-games sounds like a lot! Will be interesting to see what they turn out to be.

It actually might be 3 total DLC, I'm not sure. Calling @Switch lol

Also the article mentions there might be costumes for characters other than Ryo as DLC.

Costumes for Shenhua (and Ren) comfirmed! Ceremonial dress, original Dreamcast dress...tons of possibilities.

If we can't buy a Tom's hot dogs t-shirt for Ryo I'm gunna be disappointed.

- After returning to their rooms Ryo and Shenhua have a conversation about the days events before going to bed. It’s an interactive and branching conversion that can greatly impact the games narrative

I think this is going to give this game replay value for years to come. I think there's going to be such a dense matrix of variables that can unlock special and unique scenes and interactions. People are going to be posting things like, "check out what Shenhua said one evening"... things that no one else has seen before. And then the community will try to piece together every necessary variable to arrive at that scene. The specific date... the outfit Ryo was wearing... what happened in a fight two days prior... the level of affinity/trust/friendship between Ryo and Shenhua has to be above some value, but still below another value... the weather... and on and on!

I think this is going to give this game replay value for years to come. I think there's going to be such a dense matrix of variables that can unlock special and unique scenes and interactions. People are going to be posting things like, "check out what Shenhua said one evening"... things that no one else has seen before. And then the community will try to piece together every necessary variable to arrive at that scene. The specific date... the outfit Ryo was wearing... what happened in a fight two days prior... the level of affinity/trust/friendship between Ryo and Shenhua has to be above some value, but still below another value... the weather... and on and on!

Who's going to be the 1st to hang around Bailu village to trigger the bad ending? I'm assuming new conversations between Ryo and Shenhua will arise if time is going by far too long.

My personal highlights (again using machine translation):

1. The astro city cabinet will contain a new arcade game made especially for Shenmue 3, which will be playable once you transport the cabinet to the arcade via forklift

2. More than 1500 items of food and drink to purchase

3. More than 140 shops in Niaowu, half of which Ryo can purchase from with item prices changing every few days

4. 3 DLCs created so far, including story and action events. Also costumes for others than Ryo will be available as DLC

5. Ryo will converse with Shenhua before bed at 9pm on a wide variety of topics. To get all conversations it will take 20-30 "laps" (this one needs clarifying, whether it means days, weeks or playthroughs)

IGN Japan has come forth with another lovely article for Shenmue 3 concerning information obtained from Tokyo Game Show 2019

Some highlights:

- Voice actor Takahiro Sakurai (who plays Cloud in the Japanese Final Fantasy VII Remake dub) returns to reprise his role of Lan Di from Shenmue 1&2.

- While there are many drinks, unfortunately there are no animations of Ryo drinking them as there were in Shenmue 1 & 2 due to development time restraints

- Ryo returns to his room at 9pm.

- There are plans for several DLCs post launch, with 3 being action/story content and others being gambling/minigame related.

Sorry for any incorrect translations, on the part of myself and of Google Translate.

I knew there was no eating animation sadly(although it is funny as hell, as you can spam a food item in the inventory to eat a bunch, like you would do in a MMORPG. It's funny to imagine him shoving all that food in his mouth), but It's a shame there's no drinking animation, It's not a huge deal though. (if this is basically the setbacks Shenmue has got, damn we're in good shape, Shenmue 3 is going to be so amazing)

9PM, that's kind of early Isn't it?

Awesome, I was wondering how he was going to handle Ryo's, and Shenhua's alone time together. That's a great way to do it :)

It's not a big deal for me, as I'm going to get all the DLC anyway(hell both the pre-orders of the stand version, and CEs come with the season pass, so yea), but I don't like the idea of story being locked behind DLC, even though I'm sure It's a side story, but still. More Mini games/gambling as DLC options is fine though.

Last edited:
I knew there was no eating animation sadly(although it is funny as hell, as you can spam a food item in the inventory to eat a bunch, like you would do in a MMORPG. It's funny to imagine him shoving all that food in his mouth), but It's a shame there's no drinking animation, It's not a huge deal though. (if this is basically the setbacks Shenmue has got, damn we're in good shape, Shenmue 3 is going to be so amazing)

9PM, that's kind of early Isn't it?

Awesome, I was wondering how he was going to handle Ryo's, and Shenhua's alone time together. That's a great way to do it :)

It's not a big deal for me, as I'm going to get all the DLC anyway(hell both the pre-orders of the stand version, and CEs come with the season pass, so yea), but I don't like the idea of story being locked behind DLC, even though I'm sure It's a side story, but still. More Mini games/gambling as DLC options is fine though.

I dont believe the Season Pass is included with these editions. Only the preorder bonuses are.

I dont believe the Season Pass is included with these editions. Only the preorder bonuses are.

Well the DLC announcement claimed the both the CE, and pre-orders of the standard retail version, would come with the season pass. That's what the fake controversy was about, that KS backers weren't getting such as well(clearly the ones that aren't Shenmue fans were the only ones bitching about this)

Well the DLC announcement claimed the both the CE, and pre-orders of the standard retail version, would come with the season pass. That's what the fake controversy was about, that KS backers weren't getting such as well(clearly the ones that aren't Shenmue fans were the only ones bitching about this)
Nope the controversy was about the preorder bonuses for backers. The only way right now to buy the season pass is with the Digital Deluxe version on PS4 which costs $15 more than the standard version on PSN.

Nope the controversy was about the preorder bonuses for backers. The only way right now to buy the season pass is with the Digital Deluxe version on PS4 which costs $15 more than the standard version on PSN.

That's not what the contovery was about, it was about the pre-order of the physicals giving you the DLC for free, while the KS backers have to pay extra.

You know how a lot of people treat KS as a pre-order system(which it Isn't, It's a investment system), well that's what it was about.

It goes without saying, people who buy the game at a later date, could still get the DLC, they just have to pay extra for the DLC, this was strictly about the physical pre-ordered games getting it for "free" as a bonus, while KS backers don't.

That's not what the contovery was about, it was about the pre-order of the physicals giving you the DLC for free, while the KS backers have to pay extra.

You know how a lot of people treat KS as a pre-order system(which it Isn't, It's a investment system), well that's what it was about.

It goes without saying, people who buy the game at a later date, could still get the DLC, they just have to pay extra for the DLC, this was strictly about the physical pre-ordered games getting it for "free" as a bonus, while KS backers don't.

I believe we are talking about the same thing.

You had used the Season Pass term incorrectly. That is separate DLC than the preorder bonuses. Nobody is getting the Season Pass for free.

Back