If we can't get a fully-fledged Shenmue 4 what genre of game would you like instead?

If we can't get a fully-fledged Shenmue what genre of game would like instead?

• 3D action-arcade (i.e Battle Rally DLC)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • 2D action-arcade (i.e. Streets of Rage)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 2D action RPG (i.e. old school Zelda)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2D turn-based RPG (i.e. old school Pokemon)

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Visual Novel

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Point-and-Click

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Fully-fledged Shenmue or Anime...nothing else

Votes: 29 58.0%

• Total voters
Putting aside the hopium for a sec, if we were to assume the Shenmue development went ahead with a less-than-expected budget and decided against re-using all S3 assets (yakuza-esque) in the 'open-world' genre for S4.....

I went with Battle Rally, simply because it's a known quantity that works well and they would have most of what they needed already. Even a '9 Monkeys of Shaolin'-type game would be cool.

Last edited:
Proper Shenmue 4 or no Shenmue 4 at all

Same.

Though if a fully-fledged Shenmue 4 wasn't to happen, I'd be content with another season or two of the anime to properly close the story. A season two could also cover missed parts of Shenmue 3, such as the original ending Yu had in mind, and Baisha.

Same.

Though if a fully-fledged Shenmue 4 wasn't to happen, I'd be content with another season or two of the anime to properly close the story. A season two could also cover missed parts of Shenmue 3, such as the original ending Yu had in mind, and Baisha.
Because the anime changes so much about Shenmue 1 and 2, I can never get on board with this now. I can accept the anime as an adaptation, but not official canon.

• 2D action-arcade (i.e. Streets of Rage)
  • 2D action RPG (i.e. old school Zelda)
  • 2D turn-based RPG (i.e. old school Pokemon)
These seem like the easiest projects to complete with a small team and limited funds, while still being able to complete the story and maintain some fun gameplay. I suspect Yu Suzuki isn't looking for a genre change four games into this series, however.

if shenmue 4 was 100% canceled and was never going to happen, i would vote for a physical graphic novel series.

im not a big comic / graphic novel fan but when done right, they can be really good. the walking dead and maus, for example are very entertaining.

Because the anime changes so much about Shenmue 1 and 2, I can never get on board with this now. I can accept the anime as an adaptation, but not official canon.

How do we know it's not canon? Yu's changing things up every time he makes a game. He shuffles things around and changes bits as he sees fit. He even did this with Shenmue 3.
And since Yu worked with the anime team, I'm more inclined to think the anime includes a lot that is actually canon, or at the least, good to see. An example would be Joy's storyline.

How do we know it's not canon? Yu's changing things up every time he makes a game. He shuffles things around and changes bits as he sees fit. He even did this with Shenmue 3.
And since Yu worked with the anime team, I'm more inclined to think the anime includes a lot that is actually canon, or at the least, good to see. An example would be Joy's storyline.
Well if it is, then that will be terrible. I haven't been playing these games just for an anime to come along and retcon certain events. Everybody hates that kind of thing, just like when George Lucas decided to have Greedo shoot instead of Han.

Well if it is, then that will be terrible. I haven't been playing these games just for an anime to come along and retcon certain events. Everybody hates that kind of thing, just like when George Lucas decided to have Greedo shoot instead of Han.
i really endorse your point. respect the canon lore. and StarWarsploitation its a accurate example to me of non-desired scenario. Even if it spawns from time to time, things like Mandalorian. Shenmue will sell better but at its core it wont be same.
Then enters in conflict that part of me, the pre-S3 rumours fan, who was begging for at least a japan only novel closure to the series so that we worms translated the text... and i get confused.
My dark side makes me want Shenmue 4 Complete Game with plot changes, gameplay, idm financed by some cartel
But my heart and mind are both leaning to something that a long time fan recognizes as familiar. This will sound grumpy grandpa but its also a fact, that im tired of being kicked out many of my favourite IPs because "we must obey the hot new generation". My lifetime support? F+++ that!
I tried many times to be openminded, but then another IP gets adapted to times, and another... and you dont recognize in any game at all.

Personally, I'd like to see the games and anime exist together but give us different things; the anime could follow the general gist of the main storyline but introduce us to more subplots that we weren't aware of (again, like Joy's side story). Whereas the games themselves follow the main storyline as it was intended (or as close to it).
As long as it's all okayed by Yu, then I don't see the problem.

A Chao Garden based Shenmue. SA2 Garden tune plays 🎶grab the egg, swing the egg, launch the egg, kick the egg...
A Sagittarius, year of the monkey, O blood type cute Chao pops out. I make it evolve to a chibi Ryo who calls me dada and i hug him and i... yes would buy that.

A Chao Garden based Shenmue. SA2 Garden tune plays 🎶grab the egg, swing the egg, launch the egg, kick the egg...
A Sagittarius, year of the monkey, O blood type cute Chao pops out. I make it evolve to a chibi Ryo who calls me dada and i hug him and i... yes would buy that.
Alternate universe life simulation where you have to raise an Lan di egg as a good guy (loads of hugs) to adult and prevent Iwao from getting killed haha.

I think pretty much everyone would vote for "fully-fledge shenmue or anime", but to go along with this thread I actually think some sort of 3D graphic adventure could work pretty well (something like Life is Strange, for example). Missing out on combat would be pretty big, but it could play out in a cinematic or QTE. At the very least you can still preserve the atmosphere and exploration aspect of the series.

I don't think the other options would translate very well, IMO. A 2d action-rpg demake could be cool, but something fan made and not an official release.

If we can't get a fully fledged S4 I wouldn't want it to be a game at all. the anime was pretty decent and with a bit of a bigger budget could really do justice if it continued for a season 2.

It will be awesome to have turn based RPG, like yakuza 7...But this will be expensive.

Point and click. Shenmue is basically a fancy point and click game anyway so this would be the best fit. Of the genres listed it's the only one that I think could be done in a way that wouldn't feel different or out of place for the franchise.
I liked the mystery solving aspects of the gameplay the most so for me this would be better than a full fledged Shenmue 4 if that means it would be like Shenmue 3.

Back