If Shenmue The Anime gets a Season 02...what would you want for it to add considering Shenmue III's weaker storytelling?

One thing is for sure, we are not going to hear about a season 2 for many years to come. I'd say 3-4+ years minimum after season 1 finishes.
Really? I am rather oblivious to field of anime but how long does a typical production take? From my recollection this came together after Shenmue 3’s announcement and record breaking Kickstarter (or was it release?).

Really? I am rather oblivious to field of anime but how long does a typical production take? From my recollection this came together after Shenmue 3’s announcement and record breaking Kickstarter (or was it release?).
Speaking to my wife who is into Anime she reckons 2 years between seasons is usual with an announcement around a year before a season 2 release.

They announce season 2 at the end of this season then you've got around a year wait as it's already into production.

I’d want them to continue their approach of fleshing out Ryo’s motivations and characterization and see that applied to shenhua. Having them interact less robotically would do wonders for the narrative.

On an actual plot basis I have some ideas:

0) I’d like a flashback showing Iwao’s training and maybe the village still has some rumors about the murder.

1) Obviously all the busy work from the game like grinding for money or repeating things should be cut.

2) I think they should add the chapter 3/ Barkley train set piece at the end of the Bailu section. The Exposition about the bridge can come a little earlier. The masons are being transported by train and Ryo and Shenhua fight their way through it after jumping on to reacue them. Obviously Bailu itself is too remote for a station but I figure we can gloss over some travel distance. (I also think Chai should just be left in Shenmue 1 tbh)

3) Ren actually gets a dramatic entrance, not just wandering around miaowing. He’ll save Ryo from the gang at the last minute and they won’t confront them again until after Ryo trains to counter their bosse’s style. The move/ stylehe learns should be distinct from the body check.

4)All the friends who help storm the castle should have more distinct encounters with Ryo. This would make it natural that they’d want help in the end (more like shenmue 2). The cut a ways to them helping would be less repetitive.

5) The fire starts because Shenhua’s powers going out of control during the hostage situation. (Like in the Barkley show case). A force will push everyone around her back and it’ll knock down some torches during the mirror exchange. This would raise questions for the cast and would be a reason the chiyomen want her.

6) (this is partially inspired by SEW)
Ryo vs Lan di is less of a curb stomp. Ryo isn’t able to land a blow, but Lan Di has to put in effort. They exchange a couple of words about whether Iwao killed or not. Ryo not believing it. Lan Di strikes Ryo against a wall and he’s half on his knees. Ryo says something like “I will avenge my father.” And for some reason Lan Di hesitates as he’s going for his next attack. This moment is all Ryo needs and he performs the body check, landing a solid blow on Lan Di for the first time. Lan Di then snaps and starts brutalising Ryo till Ren shows up and pulls the mirror trick. Ryo is basically dragged from the fight by Ren kicking and screaming through the burning building, still wanting to go after Lan Di.

7) The final exposition with Shenhua’s dad has more detail. He touches on the poem, the giant mirrors and why it’s important to stop the chiyomen. He explains Shenhua’s true heritage and that they’ll have to go to her ancestral homeland to find more answers about the mirrors and her mysterious powers. Ren, Ryo and Shenhua steel themselves for the quest ahead.

Last edited:
Besides Baisha, I think Ren's return can be a bit better. Also, I would like to see more scenes with Xiuying's brother and have him interact with Niao Sun like in that bonus comic. It'd also be nice to have Niao Sun in her original dress (based on the old DC footage) in some scenes as well. I'm positive we'll get more concrete flashbacks of Iwao's time in Guilin as well.

5) The fire will start because Shenhua’s powers go out of countries during the hostage situation. (Like in the Barkley show case). A force will push everyone around her back and it’ll knock down some torches during the mirror exchange. This would raise questions for the cast and would be a reason the chiyomen want her.
I love this idea. I think maybe a re-worked Niao Sun scene where she batters Lan Di's men / betrays him, chaos ensues and culminates with Shenhua's power causing the fire to start would be amazing. That would be a great way to hark back to the Project Berkley stuff too. Such a good idea!

6) (this is partially inspired by SEW)
Ryo vs Lan di is less of a curb stomp. Ryo isn’t able to land a blow, but Lan Di has to put in effort. They exchange a couple of words about whether Iwao killed or not. Ryo not believing it. Lan Di strikes Ryo against a wall and he’s half on his knees. Ryo says something like “I will avenge my father.” And for some reason Lan Di hesitates as he’s going for his next attack. This moment is all Ryo needs and he performs the body check, landing a solid blow on Lan Di for the first time. Lan Di then snaps and starts brutalising Ryo till Ren shows up and pulls the mirror trick. Ryo is basically dragged from the fight by Ren kicking and screaming through the burning building, still wanting to go after Lan Di.
Now this I really hate, and obligatory, fuck Super Eyepatch Wolf; he can get all the way to fuck. There's a reason he makes critique/reaction content on youtube, and not actual creative content of his own: because his own ideas are, frankly, pure dog shit.

Re: that particular story idea though, I disagree completely. The entire purpose of Ryo learning the reverse body check is as a counter to Ge's martial arts style. That entire story arc there is Ryo coming up short against a fighter with a particular style, having to investigate that style, seek out a martial arts master and learn a powerful move from an ancient martial art to counter that style.

Absolutely that story arc could, and should, have been handled better and explored in a more interesting way. But to just cut all of that out completely and go "oh but what if we had le epic showdown with Lan Di and Ryo landed a hit and it's really cool and significant because err......" is just terrible story-telling, imo.

Lumping absolutely every single thing in Shenmue into "Ryo vs. Lan Di" is such a disservice to Shenmue, and a complete lack of understanding of what makes Shenmue good. (No surprise from a guy that calls Ryo Hazuki "Ryo Haiyazuki" lmao, okay, last dig at SEW I swear). It's so much more than a simple revenge story: it's a martial arts epic - Ryo Hazuki's life journey from a young kid in Yokosuka beating up thugs to becoming a world-travelling martial arts master: Akira Yuki style.

Ryo learning ancient techniques from martial arts experts all across Asia is the lifeblood of the story, and to snip that out for some wanky, fan-fiction le epic duel between Ryo and Lan Di would be terrible imo.

Edit: just re-reading my post here back and I'm worried I've come across a bit strong. Just to be clear: any vitriol you're reading in my above comment is not aimed at you whatsoever Feeso. It's aimed solely at SEW. As you can tell, I'm not a fan.

Last edited:
Now this I really hate, and obligatory, fuck Super Eyepatch Wolf; he can get all the way to fuck. There's a reason he makes critique/reaction content on youtube, and not actual creative content of his own: because his own ideas are, frankly, pure dog shit.

Re: that particular story idea though, I disagree completely. The entire purpose of Ryo learning the reverse body check is as a counter to Ge's martial arts style. That entire story arc there is Ryo coming up short against a fighter with a particular style, having to investigate that style, seek out a martial arts master and learn a powerful move from an ancient martial art to counter that style.

Absolutely that story arc could, and should, have been handled better and explored in a more interesting way. But to just cut all of that out completely and go "oh but what if we had le epic showdown with Lan Di and Ryo landed a hit and it's really cool and significant because err......" is just terrible story-telling, imo.

Lumping absolutely every single thing in Shenmue into "Ryo vs. Lan Di" is such a disservice to Shenmue, and a complete lack of understanding of what makes Shenmue good. (No surprise from a guy that calls Ryo Hazuki "Ryo Haiyazuki" lmao, okay, last dig at SEW I swear). It's so much more than a simple revenge story: it's a martial arts epic - Ryo Hazuki's life journey from a young kid in Yokosuka beating up thugs to becoming a world-travelling martial arts master: Akira Yuki style.

Ryo learning ancient techniques from martial arts experts all across Asia is the lifeblood of the story, and to snip that out for some wanky, fan-fiction le epic duel between Ryo and Lan Di would be terrible imo.
I think a lot of people fail to grasp just how little time passes between the events of Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 3. The idea that Ryo, a skilled novice, could lay a finger on one of the most feared and dangerous martial artists in the world after 3 or 4 months of light training is laughable. As you say, that he could do it using a move that he learned specifically to counter a completely different martial artist’s style even more so.

I love this idea. I think maybe a re-worked Niao Sun scene where she batters Lan Di's men / betrays him, chaos ensues and culminates with Shenhua's power causing the fire to start would be amazing. That would be a great way to hark back to the Project Berkley stuff too. Such a good idea!

Edit: just re-reading my post here back and I'm worried I've come across a bit strong. Just to be clear: any vitriol you're reading in my above comment is not aimed at you whatsoever Feeso. It's aimed solely at SEW. As you can tell, I'm not a fan.
I’m glad you liked some of my ideas! And no offence taken. I will say, I’m not too big on SEW myself. I think his video saying “he wasted his life” on Shenmue just because he doesn’t vibe with 3 is hyperbolic. Thinking like that has turned life long fans like my brother against the series too, as they see it is you “spinning” the story on indefinitely. Personally, I think that stance is just too negative, even though I feel 3 has a lot of short coming compared to it’s predecessors. Even if 3 was “bad,” 1 and 2 still had a huge impact on me and I don’t think anything could ruin that.

That said, I do think some of the ideas on how to flesh out the final encounter have merit, divorced from SEW’s pitch.

I think bringing back a major move for a final QTE is tradition at this point, it’s one of the best moments in the climax or 2 on top of the yellow head building and I think if they made the reverse body check the first legitimate shot that Ryo gets on Lan-Di that’ll make all the effort we put into learning it satisfying. That said it doesn’t need to be the body check, or could be any move taught to Ryo by a mentor during an emotional beat in 3. We could insert such a moment asset up for the ending. I don’t think Ryo should be anywhere near equal footing, but some visible progress would be nice.

From a characterisation POV, I think Ryo being so livid that he’s practically dragged from the burning castle is a good metaphor for what 2 was going for with Ryo’s revenge quest. He needs to go too far at some point and work his way back to the right path imo, before he destroys himself like the poem states. In fact I could visualise a version of the scene where Shenhua sees how angry Ryo is before muttering “a strength that could destroy him, a strength that could allow him to realise his wish...”

I think it’d be nice for her to start to try and talk Ryo out of his hate going into 4. Her feelings about Ryo’s motivations should be addressed.

As for Lan-Di side. I don’t know if I ever want to see him feeling remorse, but I do think it’s thematically appropriate for him to start to see himself in Roy’s anger. I think the irony of this cycle of vengeance shouldn’t be lost on him, so while I wouldn’t want him to show mercy or anything I think it’d be nice for him to find this whole situation intriguing, just pausing long enough for him to get the one shot from the QTE as is tradition.

EXACTLY. I agree with you on Super Eyepatch Wolf. He doesn't know what he's talking about!

Ryo couldn't even beat three old men, an old lady, and Xiuying. Let alone lay a finger on them! AND THEY ALL WENT EASY ON HIM! If Ryo can't handle them at let's say 1% of their power, what makes ANYONE think he has a chance against landing a graze on Lan Di? When I sparred against Xiuying the first two times, I expected a potential fight with Lan Di (possibly later on in 2 or 3 back then) to go exactly THAT WAY except Lan Di will hit back!

SEW also neglects Ryo learns both body checks as a game plan for the fighting styles of those two big guys, NOT LAN DI!
I think a lot of people fail to grasp just how little time passes between the events of Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 3. The idea that Ryo, a skilled novice, could lay a finger on one of the most feared and dangerous martial artists in the world after 3 or 4 months of light training is laughable. As you say, that he could do it using a move that he learned specifically to counter a completely different martial artist’s style even more so.
What Ryo needs to beat Lan Di is Eagle Fang Karate!

A friendly but really strong disagree on this one. The fire MUST be directly intended by Niao Sun, not be an "accident".

She is supposed to be a super cruel and ambitious character, to the point of assassinating her "colleague" Lan Di and everyone in between (and destroying a beautiful landmark building, by the way :-)).

Back