If Shenmue The Anime gets a Season 02...what would you want for it to add considering Shenmue III's weaker storytelling?

Body check and reverse body check are not the same move.

This is clear in the game in my opinion, and if you search more informations about Virtua Fighter you will see more what i'm talking about but i will put here because i don't like misinformation in the Shenmue community.

Ryo learned the Body Check and the Reverse Body Check in Shenmue III, in Virtua Fighter the names of the moves are Youshin Senrin and Kouzanheki, this connection is beautiful, i love that Ryo learn Akira moves, Ryo learning bajiquan moves it is super important to the story, this progress the story as well.

Body Check in Virtua fighter and Shenmue III, the name of the move in VF is Youshin Senrin

index.php
index.php

Reverse body check in Virtua Fighter and Shenmue III - the name of the move in Virtua Fighter is Kouzanheki, and if we look at the Shenmue III images we can even see that the kanji are different.

View attachment 13982
index.php

How to do the moves in VF
Youshi Senrin: BACK-DOWN/TOWARDS-P+G

Kouzanheki: TOWARDS-BACK-P+G-UP or DOWN-P+K

Not the same moves to me.

Important informations from the Shenmue Wiki.

The Reverse Body check consists in deflecting a thrusting attack from an opponent to move behind their back and perform the Body Check technique, therefore it's necessary that the performer already mastered this move.

Body Check (Hànzì: 鉄山靠, Pinyin: Tiěshānkào, On'yomi: Tetsusankō; lit. Iron Mountain Leaning)
Reverse Body Check (Hànzì: 鷂子穿林, Pinyin: Yàozichuānlín, On'yomi: Yōshisenrin)
The translation of the name of this technique is "Harrier Through the Forest".

I'm not here trying to change your opinion, nothing like that, if you want to think that Body check and Reverse body check are the same move then go ahead, i want to finish this post by saying the same thing i said in my previous post, all i can say is that i disagree with you but i respect your opinion.
I know it's technically different but the movement Ryo does looks the same. If they keep both moves in the Anime, I hope they make them look different. Most videos on YouTube also have some comments saying it's the same move. I can see why most viewers would think that, especially if they're not familiar with the Shenmue games, let alone VF.

The content of the original scripts/novels looks really interesting so the anime would be a perfect opportunity to put this locations, i agree with you about adding this locations in future seasons but we don't know where exactly the first season will end, probably in Guilin.

All i know is that the anime is the perfect opportunity for Yu Suzuki tu put this chapters in the story in anime form, this way adding even more things to the story, i really hope one day we can at least read all the content from The Legend Of Akira scripts/novels.
Yup ! And since Master Baihu is included, and that we see Ryo fighting Lan Di on top of a building, I guess season 1 will end the Hong Kong arc, which is exactly the place where the original chapters 3 and 4 should be inserted. Fingers crossed !

I know it's technically different but the movement Ryo does looks the same. If they keep both moves in the Anime, I hope they make them look different. Most videos on YouTube also have some comments saying it's the same move. I can see why most viewers would think that, especially if they're not familiar with the Shenmue games, let alone VF.

I really understand why the confusion about this, i really do, if someone is not familiar with martial arts, Shenmue and specialy with VF this can cause confusion, i'm a VF fan so this why i know this informations.

I don't know everything about martial arts of course but from what i know many moves in martial arts are similar from each other, not the same but similar. Body check and Reverse body check is a good example for this, i think another good example is Elbow assault and Counter elbow assault.

I don't agree they need to change the moves, i just think that in the anime they can explain better so more people will understand.

I don't remember other examples right now but i think Eileen in VF V have 2 moves that are similar, not the same but similar, so martial arts have this things, someone with better experience in martial arts can correct me if i'm wrong but this is what i know.

Yup ! And since Master Baihu is included, and that we see Ryo fighting Lan Di on top of a building, I guess season 1 will end the Hong Kong arc, which is exactly the place where the original chapters 3 and 4 should be inserted. Fingers crossed !

As far as i know Guilin is not confirmed yet, we only know that Kowloon will be in the anime. Looks like we have a similar opinion about this, that the anime is the perfect opportunity for Yu Suzuki to achieve his vision for the story about adding all the chapters of The Legend Of Akira scritps/novels. To me this content looks beautiful so i hope we can see this things in future seasons of the anime. Yeah, fingers crossed.

Last edited:
^ You are correct. Some moves in martial arts are similar to each other but not exactly the same. Even if they look the same, they are still different. Of course I'm no expert but I did some ju-jitsu years ago so I think what you are saying is very true.

I can see Season 1 ending at Guilin and Season 2 will feature Shenmue 2 and 3.

I think Shenmue 3 has, at least,a potential for 5 episodes:

1- Bailu Bridge, The villagers, Xu, the temple photos, Bookmaker fight, kids hide-and-seek and finishing with the thugs and Ryo's defeat

2- Ryo and master Sun, the expensive beverage, all training things including the chickens and, of course, the special technique. Ryo defeat the mongolian fighter (Yanglang)

3- Ryo and Shenhua interrogation (the special scene too), the village's dean, tokens, tower puzzle, flashbacks about the Chinese emperor visiting Bailu, Ryo x Chai again and the trip to niawou.

4- Hotel, Promenade, protecting the fortune teller, redsnakes, Ren, Shi ling, blossom road, the amazing battle on Golden Goose.

5- Master Fisherman, Rose Garden, Shenhua kidnapping, Niao Sun, The castle (or maybe the three kingdom romance cut part), fighting against mr. Muscle, rescuing Shenhua father and, of course the fire and Lan Di battle.

Seeing some of the Shenmue 3 fights in Anime form would be really cool. Especially the Golden Goose and Castle fights.
'3- Ryo and Shenhua interrogation (the special scene too), the village's dean, tokens, tower puzzle, flashbacks about the Chinese emperor visiting Bailu, Ryo x Chai again and the trip to niawou.'

By special scene, did you mean what Shenhua did to Yanglang?

Seeing some of the Shenmue 3 fights in Anime form would be really cool. Especially the Golden Goose and Castle fights.
'3- Ryo and Shenhua interrogation (the special scene too), the village's dean, tokens, tower puzzle, flashbacks about the Chinese emperor visiting Bailu, Ryo x Chai again and the trip to niawou.'

By special scene, did you mean what Shenhua did to Yanglang?
Exactly!

If it's only going to cover the events of S3 and not fundamentally change the story that's told there, spend 2 episdoes max on it and let's keep it moving! I'd much rather see what's BEYOND S3 than have them end Season 2 at the same point.

I actually think due to budget, Yu likely pared down what he wanted to do with the story for Shenmue III. Now he's got actual scriptwriters to support his story treatments. If we get a season 2, I wouldn't be at all surprised if major changes occur in Bailu and maybe Niaowu to expand on the events we witnessed in the games which could stretch more episodes than we think. There's so much more lore they can set up in Bailu. Also I imagine that would be a good time to see more of the Chiyoumen to begin establishing the power struggle between Niao Sun and Lan Di. More of Niao Sun maybe manipulating Ryo and Shenhua. Possibly get Baisha Village or the fights on the Great Wall that showed in the original Shenmue III trailer. More Ren and Ryo shenanigans.

Hell, I just want a ton of Ryo, Shenhua and Ren hijinx. I think they have the capability to be a very infectious trio much like Luke, Han, & Leia in Star Wars.

Last edited:
Niao Sun/Li Feng's role in the story has to be fleshed out more. Explain how she discovered that Ryo was in possession of the phoenix mirror, her connection to the red snakes/blue spiders and the conflict between her and Lan Di.

More development for broom girl and fat guy, so the camaraderie between everyone who stormed the castle seems genuine. Maybe some more information on Iwao's visit to Bailu.

I'd also like to know how Chai got so close to the chiyoumen, since he aspired to join them. I know he arranged Lan Di's trip to China in the first game but he seems to have even more of a tie to them in the third game, effectively being the warden of their jails in the old castle. My theory is that he is connected specifically to Niao Sun (if I'm correct their martial arts style is similar if not the same) and this would explain how she discovered Ryo has the Phoenix mirror. Niao Sun is also quite sneaky and a master of espionage, which could also be said about Chai.

I actually think due to budget, Yu likely pared down what he wanted to do with the story for Shenmue III. Now he's got actual scriptwriters to support his story treatments. If we get a season 2, I wouldn't be at all surprised if major changes occur in Bailu and maybe Niaowu to expand on the events we witnessed in the games which could stretch more episodes than we think. There's so much more lore they can set up in Bailu. Also I imagine that would be a good time to see more of the Chiyoumen to begin establishing the power struggle between Niao Sun and Lan Di. More of Niao Sun maybe manipulating Ryo and Shenhua. Possibly get Baisha Village or the fights on the Great Wall that showed in the original Shenmue III trailer. More Ren and Ryo shenanigans.
I'm with you. I would be DEEPLY disappointed if an eventual season 2 of the anime doesn't heavily rework Shenmue 3 story.

After having watched the first two episodes already, and seeing how faithful it is in the cinematography department to the key scenes of the games, I'm wondering how that would be handled in an eventual new season based on Shenmue III and beyond.

Do you think the anime could drop in quality, not having such a good material to draw reference from? Or maybe key scenes from the entire plot might have been designed already since the beginning? (20+ years ago). The Project Berkeley and Saturn Shenmue video might hint at that (I was always amazed at how the Ren introduction scene was so faithful to the final one in the Saturn game).

I'm also wondering if the anime crew might have already been given access to the full 11 chapter original story of the series. In order to better plan and plot things...

If it’s based on the original script I don’t worry about it at all. It’s the same script that made the basis of Shenmue 1 and 2. The game design and budget decisions affected the storytelling, IMO. The overall plot of Shenmue 3 is no less intriguing than the first two games; it’s another signpost on the way to the conclusion of the story that hooked us in Shenmue 1.

If it’s based on the original script I don’t worry about it at all. It’s the same script that made the basis of Shenmue 1 and 2. The game design and budget decisions affected the storytelling, IMO. The overall plot of Shenmue 3 is no less intriguing than the first two games; it’s another signpost on the way to the conclusion of the story that hooked us in Shenmue 1.
100% this. All they ever really needed to do to "fix" Shenmue III's storytelling was add like, 8-10 story quests. Just expanding on characters like Zixiong, Grandmaster Feng, Shiling, Qiu Hsu, Master Bei etc. - they didn't even need to be big scenes, just have Ryo learn moves from them here and there, and tell us a bit more about Bailu/Niaowu - maybe a scene or 2 to flesh out the Red Snakes properly, and convey just how badass/dangerous they are, maybe another scene of Niao Sun battering Lan Di's men or something.

I really think this stuff could have been added as DLC and would have made huge improvements to Shenmue III. I think the budget just killed it there.

I love shenmue 3 more than most people and thoroughly enjoy it. However, the story issues are down to an oversight from the team and suzuki and not the budget.

For example, that dlc ship was fun but its a complete waste of money. Why not put that money towards extra content for nIao sun, shilling, master feng etc?

Same goes for the story dlc. Why not flesh out the chi you men more or something relevant to the overall main story?

Of course there were development issues and they had to rush the ending and cut baisha, but a lot of the story issues could have been easily prevented, or at the very least been drastically improved.

On the other hand, most of the development was spent building the systems in shenmue 3 and to be fair, it has great gameplay. The lack of focus on the story just dampens that aspect.

In terms of the anime, anyone saying shenmue 3 can be covered in 2 episodes or that Niaowu can be cut completely has no idea what they're talking about and needs to go back and play shenmue 3.

Just some random thoughts. Good game but the team goofed up in my opinion when it comes to the story issues. The anime could easily fix this and expand it.

Last edited:
I love shenmue 3 more than most people and thoroughly enjoy it. However, the story issues are down to an oversight from the team and suzuki and not the budget.

For example, that dlc ship was fun but its a complete waste of money. Why not put that money towards extra content for nIao sun, shilling, master feng etc?

Same goes for the story dlc. Why not flesh out the chi you men more or something relevant to the overall main story?

Of course there were development issues and they had to rush the ending and cut baisha, but a lot of the story issues could have been easily preventing, or at the very least been drastically improved.

On the other hand, most of the development was spent building the systems in shenmue 3 and to be fair, it has great gameplay. The lack of focus on the story just dampens that aspect.

In terms of the anime, anyone saying shenmue 3 can be covered in 2 episodes or that Niaowu can be cut completely has no idea what they're talking about and needs to go back and play shenmue 3.

Just some random thoughts. Good game but the team goofed up in my opinion when it comes to the story issues. The anime could easily fix this and expand it.
Yeah, the bones are there. What happens after the cave is really no less intriguing or mysterious even after playing through Shenmue 3, so I say bring it on.

Shenmue III's ending is also a pretty radical shakeup of the status quo that feels like a "season finale" episode, so it doesn't really make sense to throw Niaowu away whichever way you cut it.

After seeing some groundwork laid in Episode 2 of the anime, and *if* the first season ends in Kowloon or the very opening of Guilin, I could see season 2 covering the ending of Shenmue II and all of Shenmue III over 13 episodes which also tracks more closely to Yu's original plans for chapter 5 and 6.

If you're familiar with the character artwork slide from a few years back, you'll recall Niao Sun appears in the chapter 5 panel, which indicates she was originally meant to show up a lot earlier than she did in the game. An appropriate amount of additional build up and background would really make the
disguise twist, taking the Phoenix Mirror, and betraying Lan Di for control of the Chi-You-Men pop a lot more.

Yeah that people say nothing happened during Shenmue 3 especially the ending always rang hollow to me. Ryo looses the Phoenix mirror and is now right in the middle of a power struggle between members of the Chiyoumen.

I really think if the anime were to continue it would be a wonderful opportunity to add context, expand and elongate those story threads in a meaningful way.

One thing is for sure, we are not going to hear about a season 2 for many years to come. I'd say 3-4+ years minimum after season 1 finishes.

Back