If Shenmue had been a Saturn Release what do you think would have been sacrificed?

I think yusuzuki knew what he was doing
the saturn version of shenmue was already well underway and he's not the kind of guy to commit to a project if he doesn't like it
so we could have had a convincing shenmue saturn
already the video available on internal is very impressive, the faces are much more detailed than what the n64 was able to do

today we can say that shenmue was thought to be made on dreamcast but once again, the fact that a great visionary and developer like yu suzuki decided to make shenmue on saturn and had already made a lot of progress, it shows that he was satisfied

of course when he learned the existence of the dreamcast, he surely didn't hesitate to finally release it on next gen but when we see the graphical ambition of the saturn version, we can say that it could have been the shenmue we know outside the graphical limits

that's why I won't talk about sacrifice
yusuzuki was too talented to decide to make a game that doesn't respect his plans

The tech demo for the Saturn Shenmue is indeed very impressive. It looks way better than many other 32-bit games. The characters in the Saturn Shenmue even have faces, unlike many other 32-bit area gaming characters.

But we have to ask ourselves the question if a full game with that technical quality would have been feasible on the Saturn hardware.

I like Saturn and firmly believe that we might have never seen the hardware's full potential of the hardware but it is still possible that a full game of that quality might be impossible to pull off. It was a good thing that the development of Shenmue was switched to Dreamcast.

A Saturn Shenmue might have been a nice game as well but it would have been a different game.

I think yusuzuki knew what he was doing
the saturn version of shenmue was already well underway and he's not the kind of guy to commit to a project if he doesn't like it
so we could have had a convincing shenmue saturn
already the video available on internal is very impressive, the faces are much more detailed than what the n64 was able to do

today we can say that shenmue was thought to be made on dreamcast but once again, the fact that a great visionary and developer like yu suzuki decided to make shenmue on saturn and had already made a lot of progress, it shows that he was satisfied

of course when he learned the existence of the dreamcast, he surely didn't hesitate to finally release it on next gen but when we see the graphical ambition of the saturn version, we can say that it could have been the shenmue we know outside the graphical limits

that's why I won't talk about sacrifice
yusuzuki was too talented to decide to make a game that doesn't respect his plans
You call Him, The Patrice, yusuzuki? Unbelievable

The tech demo for the Saturn Shenmue is indeed very impressive. It looks way better than many other 32-bit games. The characters in the Saturn Shenmue even have faces, unlike many other 32-bit area gaming characters.

But we have to ask ourselves the question if a full game with that technical quality would have been feasible on the Saturn hardware.

I like Saturn and firmly believe that we might have never seen the hardware's full potential of the hardware but it is still possible that a full game of that quality might be impossible to pull off. It was a good thing that the development of Shenmue was switched to Dreamcast.

A Saturn Shenmue might have been a nice game as well but it would have been a different game.
Yeah but wasn't shenmue on saturn being developed for a more powerful saturn? I think it was called the blackbelt, I might be wrong tho

Blackbelt was one of the codenames for the Dreamcast Prototypes. BlackBelt was the canceled 3dfx console. The other prototype was the Katana/Dural that turned out as the Dreamcast we know.

I also thought Prototype was running on stock Saturn hardware, not custom hardware.

Back