I fell in love with Shenmue in 2022.

Ichiban

Banned
First, I apologize for not knowing how to express myself properly. My English is bad.

I always heard about Shenmue. About the importance and how it was a milestone for games. Also, Ryu Ga Gotoku/Yakuza, my favorite series, is often compared to Shenmue. The truth is that these games have many more differences than similarities. Shenmue is unique.

I just finished Shenmue II yesterday for the first time. That was just beautiful. Magic. I loved playing that game. It was a similar experience, but at the same time different from the first Shenmue. These games really put you in the shoes of the protagonist in a way that few games can. I plan to start Shenmue III tomorrow, knowing that it had a mixed reception from players. I also want to watch the anime. I only watched the first episodes and loved it. Almost perfect.

I must say I'm happy to finally experience Shenmue, but at the same time sad because of the state of the franchise. Will we ever see the end of the story? Would you be satisfied if it were completed in anime form? And what do you think of a remake? Perhaps, the best option would be a remake/modernization. Don't get me wrong, I played Shenmue for the first time this year and had no problem, but I believe that not everyone can appreciate games that are considered dated. Perhaps it would be a way for Shenmue to rise from the ashes like a phoenix.

Thank you very much.

Hey Ichiban, welcome to the Forums. 😊

It is really nice to see that you fell in love with Shenmue in 2022, really beautiful to see new Shenmue fans.

This shows to me even more that games are not dated, that games do not age poorly and that they don't have a expiration date.

For me a good game will always be a good game no matter how much time passes. Some people are even developing demakes of some games and to me this is beautiful.

i love old games and games to me are art, so it is beautiful to see that you fell in love with Shenmue in 2022.

I agree, Shenmue games put players in the shoes of the protagonist in a way that few games do, Shenmue games are unique experiences, it is a beautiful journey.

About your questions... i would prefer the story completing in a game form first, but if Yu Suzuki feel that the anime is the only way then i will understand.

I would prefer continue the story with Shenmue IV instead of remakes right now.

The ideal path right now in my opinion would be Yu Suzuki having the opportunity to make the games Shenmue IV and Shenmue V, and this way finishing the story in Shenmue V.

I have hope that this will hapen, after the story is concluded in game form than it would be nice to see remakes, spin-off games and things like that, but for now the ideal path in my opinion would be to continue with Shenmue IV.

Last edited:
Hello, Ichiban, welcome! I'm glad that more people discover this excellent saga in these days.

My opinion is like Hiki, I think that the priority should be Shenmue IV and V, after finish the saga there is always time to make remakes, reboots, spin offs, etc, but the first thing should be end the story and doing it well.

About the games, I did never considere them dated. Is like the original trilogys of Star Wars or Indiana Jones, are old but I would never change a thing about then. If one begin to change things to atract more people, the essence of the original in the end is lost.

The problem for me is the internet toxicity and the false currents of opinion, People tend to either deify something at the highest levels or criticize it equally, and the worst thing is that in most cases, is just because they have been influenced by someone before, without having tried the product in question. We must fight against that, and support Shenmue. Always with respect and education, of course, but as fans I think our duty is to counter everything that is said false about shenmue.

Enjoy Shenmue 3, is a very good game, a indie, indeed, but still I think you will enjoy it.

Last edited:
First, I apologize for not knowing how to express myself properly. My English is bad.

I always heard about Shenmue. About the importance and how it was a milestone for games. Also, Ryu Ga Gotoku/Yakuza, my favorite series, is often compared to Shenmue. The truth is that these games have many more differences than similarities. Shenmue is unique.

I just finished Shenmue II yesterday for the first time. That was just beautiful. Magic. I loved playing that game. It was a similar experience, but at the same time different from the first Shenmue. These games really put you in the shoes of the protagonist in a way that few games can. I plan to start Shenmue III tomorrow, knowing that it had a mixed reception from players. I also want to watch the anime. I only watched the first episodes and loved it. Almost perfect.

I must say I'm happy to finally experience Shenmue, but at the same time sad because of the state of the franchise. Will we ever see the end of the story? Would you be satisfied if it were completed in anime form? And what do you think of a remake? Perhaps, the best option would be a remake/modernization. Don't get me wrong, I played Shenmue for the first time this year and had no problem, but I believe that not everyone can appreciate games that are considered dated. Perhaps it would be a way for Shenmue to rise from the ashes like a phoenix.

Thank you very much.
Welcome to the forums and community!

Glad you have found Shenmue this year.

For me the games should finish things first but I would happily take the Anime doing it if that was the only option. The anime is fantastic.

Thank you. My only complaint about the anime is the soundtrack. Shenmue has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard in a game. And some parts are oversimplified. Other than that, fantastic adaptation work.

Welcome Ichiban!

My thoughts:

- We will see the end. My preference would be via games but I have a sneaking suspicion that the anime will trump it (ala Game of Thrones). If the quality is consistent until the end (unlike Game of Thrones imo) then I would be very ok with that.
- I do not need a remake at the moment, I think the three games work fine and I even think that the Shenmue experience hasn't been matched in modern games in some perspectives. I love what they did with Final Fantasy VII Remake (FFVII is actually my favorite game of all time, slightly edging SH1+2), but Shenmue being so grounded in reality works for the games as they are now.

Last edited:
Back