How would you feel if they rebooted the Shenmue games?

the_phoenix_mirror

10 years early.
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Daytona USA Iraq version
Let's say that the anime is such a big success that they decide to restart the Shenmue games from the beginning with anime style graphics to appeal to the new fans. Each game takes 2-3 years to make. How would you feel?

In my opinion Yu Suzuki will never do this, and is important to remember that Yu Suzuki is 62 years old, i know age is just a number about this, maybe Yu Suzuki will want to work till he is 80 years old, we don't know when Yu Suzuki will retire so i'm not a big fan of this idea of rebooting the Shenmue Games.

Not only because of this but Shenmue do not need reboot now, in my opinion is important to continue and finish Shenmue in game format with Shenmue IV and V, after that they can do Shenmue Zero, reboot, remake, spin-offs or other thing but now is important to complete Shenmue in game format in my opinion, so right now i don't like this idea.

And i will end my post with this...

LETSGETSHENMUE4 😊

EocSw6JXUAAPsQM

IMO rebooting the games is the only way they will ever have any chance of success at this point. But if they take 2-3 years to make each, I dont see a point. Shenmue needs to be one of those .hack style endeavors or either just one large game if it gets a reboot.

Instead of s4? nah i don't think i have the mental strength or patience to wait 5-6 years just for a reboot of 1 and 2 and then wait another 7 years for s4 to be released, that's just not it for me. I think I'd be fine with the idea, if they worked on it after they've concluded the series though

I'd prefer it tbh. It'd be one of the great shames for Suzuki not to finish the series, but there's summat about the way Shenmue III looks and comes across that just puts me off. Like it's a soft reboot in itself. It's not the game we would've got had SEGA not fallen.

To add to that, Shenmue isn't just Yu Suzuki. There were a lotta people involved who made it what it was who perhaps don't get the credit deserve. It's arguable then that, in the hands of a team that truly cares about it, the series could end up in a better state.

People will obviously cry blasphemy, but I'll just smile n wave at em as I sail down the river styx with my feet up.

Of course Shenmue isn't just Yu Suzuki, Yu Suzuki made the games with teams, a lot of people involved and i give credit to everyone but Yu Suzuki is the head of this franchise, Yu Suzuki is the creator of Shenmue.

Yu Suzuki was the one that travel to China and was inspired to create Shenmue, Yu Suzuki was the one that had the idea and wrote the chapters of the story and much more, it is Yu Suzuki story.

Yu Suzuki is super important to the Shenmue franchise, continue and finish Shenmue is a personal journey for him like he said in the Shenmue III credits, and I hope that Yu Suzuki can have the opportunity to complete Shenmue in a way that will be satisfying for him.

Instead of s4? nah i don't think i have the mental strength or patience to wait 5-6 years just for a reboot of 1 and 2 and then wait another 7 years for s4 to be released, that's just not it for me. I think I'd be fine with the idea, if they worked on it after they've concluded the series though

I feel the same way. I'd be fine with the idea if they worked on it after they've concluded the series, in my opinion now is important to continue and finish Shenmue with Shenmue IV and Shenmue V.

i guess the only way i could see it a shenmue reboot, is if they made it a nintendo exclusive and gave each game a heavily stylised, almost cartoony/anime art style.. which would fit with nintendo. ( + shenmue is pretty kid friendly / no guns.. another big plus for nintendo )

i guess the only way i could see it a shenmue reboot, is if they made it a nintendo exclusive and gave each game a heavily stylised, almost cartoony/anime art style.. which would fit with nintendo. ( + shenmue is pretty kid friendly / no guns.. another big plus for nintendo )
Strictly speaking, there ARE guns. They are just 2D Textures in random drawers in random abandoned buildings. I found them on my last playthrough of Shenmue 2 and was surprised myself.

Strictly speaking, there ARE guns. They are just 2D Textures in random drawers in random abandoned buildings. I found them on my last playthrough of Shenmue 2 and was surprised myself.
but they are non useable representations of toys.

you also see them in the sweet shop in shenmue1.

After watch the first episode, I think a modern remake would be cool.

Things like the juniors tournament would be a excellent tutorial for the fighting mechanism.

What is "shenmue project" the shenmue license is an ip that belongs to them now?
Yeah I remember seeing that as well, perhaps calling it the "Shenmue Project" is a way for Sega to have a publishing label for Shenmue going forward as a multi-media IP? And didn't someone say that the anime company that was making this was owned by Sega in some way?

Perhaps someone who's not me can do all the research on this ;)

For the game reboots - I think the only way I'd be ok with this is if a completely separate team makes the "reboot" while Yu's team makes S4 and S5, just for logistics sake with Yu Suzuki getting up there in age. Though on the other end, you might run into an issue where you'd expect fans of the reboots to end up playing S3 and beyond, and there might be consistency issues if the reboots deviate too far from the main sequels.

I think starting the series over with these reboots and then making S4+ is a non-starter, given how long it'll take for all of them to come out. But perhaps Yu Suzuki can be more in an advisory role later on.

Let's say that the anime is such a big success that they decide to restart the Shenmue games from the beginning with anime style graphics to appeal to the new fans. Each game takes 2-3 years to make. How would you feel?
Nah, I don't want a reboot of games I consider to be masterpieces. I'm also not a fan of the series graphic style looking like an anime.

Back