How Many Times Have You Completed the Shenmue Games since 1999?

Favourite title
Shenmue
I thought this would be a fun question:

What year did you originally find out about Shenmue?? For me it was upon release of the original Shenmue on the Dreamcast.

How old were you when you discovered Shenmue for the first time? I was 12.

Shenmue 1: 3-4 times during 2000/2001. Once in 2019.

Shenmue 2: 2 times in 2001/2002. Finished it again yesterday morning on 2019/2020 New Years.

Shenmue 3: 1 time in 2019. Started playing through it again a second time today.

I can't exactly remember all the details since its been a span of 20 years, but I just again completed all the Shenmue games in the last 30 days. I stopped playing video games completely between 2007 and early 2019, the last system I had was the original Xbox 360 so I didn't play any Shenmue whatsoever during that time period. I saw Shenmue 3 randomly on Kickstarter in 2015 and have been keeping an eye on it ever since. After a 12 year absence from gaming(didn't even own a TV again until 2019) you can probably guess what game got me to buy a TV again and a PS4 in 2019.

Last edited:
S1- Three times including HD
S2- Five times including HD (Original Xbox is the reason for more)

Now... Let me ask: Do you mean 100% completion? If yes then for me is S1: NONE!! and S2: NONE!!

Not trying to hijack the thread but would be interested if anyone has 100% either game and what their experiences were with regards to the tougher expects of the game.

As an example I only ever experienced Duck Racing in the remaster, believe it or not.

First heard about the hype onn the Sega.com forums way back in 2000. Finally got it and played in 2001 when I was about 12. Imported PAL Shen2 in 2002 and got Shen2x new upon release later in 2002, as well.

Shenmue: at least 20
Shenmue 2: at least 15

There's no such thing as a true 100% because certain scenes or notebook logs are dependent upon either missing or catching certain small scenes or random convos at specific times. Almost always try to fill as many notes as possible along with max training levels for every play; variables for each new save files are either lots of money earning, toy capsules or simply taking as many days before bad ending.

Peter has a nearest-to-100% notebook guide from awhile back. Should be on the main site.

Has anyone specifically defined "100%" or the definition of a full/completed game??

My belief was that you could technically hit all the story beats and plot points in one playthrough if you was clever or lucky enough.

Stupidly curious about this. Be a nice goal perhaps.

Referring to the notebook as a measuring stick. I've 100% cutscenes near every time, but it isn't too difficult.

So the notebook being a benchmark makes sense. My notebook on my recent S1/2 playthrough is shockingly empty for the most part lol

Yeah, 100% cutscenes isn't too difficult; I believe I did it in my VERY first playthrough, back in 2006.

Anyways:

What's Shenmue?: 2013-2018
1: 2006, 2009-2018
2: 2008-2018
HD: 2018
3: 2019

So a grand total of 30 times, have I completed each game.

I've stuck with this franchise since I was 9, so I can't remember my exact S1 & S2 replay count.

If I had to guess:

Shenmue 1: 6-7 times
Shenmue 2: 5-6 times
Shenmue 3: 2 times - I plan to replay a third time once the DLC is out

How Old? If I remember right I was 11 and it was Christmas of 2000 because I got Shenmue along with the Dreamcast and PS2 wasn't out yet. My uncle always had a pulse on things music/movies/gamewise and he knew I'd like it but it quickly became my favorite game and honestly is what got me into Martial Arts.

I played through the first one 4 times before my original Dreamcast went out, then probably another 10 between getting a second dreamcast, emulators, and the HD Remaster.

Shenmue II though only about 4 times total, that one I played twice on xbox, once again on 360, and then not again until the HD release.

The first game I've finished about seven times, but started well into the twenties, possibly thirties.

Shenmue II I think I've completed twice, started about seven times.

Shenmue 2X I've done once, started three times.

Cheers for making me question my life choices btw.

Shenmue: at least thirty-five times
Shenmue II: between ten and fifteen times
Shenmue III: once, and I cannot see myself returning to it until the Steam release in November

Hello, I am new here. Happy to see this community of Shenmue fans. I bought my Dreamcast the day after Christmas in 1999. I was 20 years old and saved my money and gift cards to buy it. I purchased Shenmue the week it came out it the States. I had seen articles about it in magazines and thought it looked amazing. It quickly became one of my favorites games ever. Although I had started playing Shenmue numerous times over the years, I never finished it until the PS4 version came out. I also never realized how close I was to finishing it. The first time i played through in 2000 I got up to when Ryo gets fired. Life (getting married and having kids) took me away from gaming. I am currently playing 2 and have my copy of 3. I plan on playing 1 again and finishing it on my Dreamcast.

S1 about 3 times. (dreamcast ver.) emulator= 2 times pc ver.HD (vanilla) none pc ver. HD with future mods= will plan of play it about 10 times.
S2 same (all ver.)
S3 (pc ver.) just "finished" i think I will plan to play it 2 or 3 time, though. (vanila ver.)
S3 mods (mods will come with time and efforts) will plan to play it about 10 times maybe. depends on mods.

My number are pretty goofy for being a 20 year fan.

Shenmue I: Several times, and I've played through significant portions and restarted several times that. I probably beat it every year or two for a decade, and then again sporadically over the most recent decade. I adore Yokosuka.

Shenmue II: Zero. Yup, zero: I always wanted to have more Shenmue to come back to. I was intending to beat it before III, but had some personal issues and didn't get to it before III. I've played through the first three fourths of it many times though!

Shenmue III: Actively playing it now. So... zero!

If we count "What's Shenmue?", I've beat that several times as well.

Shenmue Chapter One: Yokosuka & Shenmue II: Too many times to count. Yet I never tire of them.

Shenmue III: Once, so far.

i discovered shenmue after watching a piece about it on tv, before it was released. i was around 13 years old.

1999/2000- 2007: shenmue 1 (dreamcast) - completed 10+ times
2001-2007: shenmue 2 ( dreamcast) - completed 10+ times
2005: shenmue 2 (xbox original) - played for 10 mins, never completed. even though it was in english, i had played S2 too many time to bring myself to play it again.

-2007 - 2018: didnt own or play shenmue 1 or 2, as i had sold my dreamcast back in 07.

2018 -2020. completed shenmue 1 (ps4) twice ( japanese)
2020. completed shenmue 2 ( ps4) once. ( japanese)
2020 . completed shenmue 3 (ps4) once. ( japanese)

Shenmue wasn't out until 2000 in the west. Amazing in 2023 people think just because it was out in 1999 in Japan, it means it applies to all countries

Amazing in 2023 people think just because it was out in 1999 in Japan, it means it applies to all countries
I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by this. Nobody said this was the case I don't think? There are definitely people on these forums who are either Japanese, or grew up in Japan, so it makes sense for OP to specify the earliest release date.

Back