How I Would "Fix" Shenmue 3's Story

You said there’s no blind defence and then said the combat is better, you are genuinely going to argue that the laggy button bashing no skill system is better than a virtua fighter system?
The virtua fighter system was specifically built around 2D one on one fights. That’s why the Shenmue fighting engine (along with being a much watered down version of VF combat) is very janky in 3D spaces and has basically no options for crowd control. No one is saying 3’s system is better than 1&2’s but you can deny that it is better for crowd battles as that was something the VF engine just wasn’t designed for.

It’s also funny that you asked for one thing that 3 did better than the first 2 and when you got multiple answers your response was to take only one of the responses and completely misrepresent it to say it’s wrong.

Last edited:
Ad hominem insults actually show who really is a clown , if you decide to be grown up and join this largely civil conversation then I look forward to engaging but for now I’ll assume your 12 years old having a paddy as you don’t understand someone disliking a largely flawed game

Civil conversation? You've done nothing but bash Shenmue 3 in an immature manner. You have a nerve saying I'm the one acting like a clown.

No one is saying 3s fighting system is better , aside from you who is arguing it is better?
You asked me what Shenmue 3 did better than the originals and I stated a number of things.

As I said multi-man battles are done better in 3. Question answered

You asked me what Shenmue 3 did better than the originals and I stated a number of things.

It has actually been civil between 2 people that don’t agree.. I guess you can’t handle a conversation with anyone that disagrees

I was actually replying to Mraziz, I just don’t get how you can acknowledge the fighting system isn’t as good as I or II then say it’s better

It has actually been civil between 2 people that don’t agree.. I guess you can’t handle a conversation with anyone that disagrees

I was actually replying to Mraziz, I just don’t get how you can acknowledge the fighting system isn’t as good as I or II then say it’s better
????? You'll see from the discussion I can more than handle a disagreement and it has been civil.

And if you're replying to someone use the reply function. Clears things up :)

Wrong. I have no issues with anyone not liking Shenmue 3. But when they come across as arrogant as you did, pretty much saying that it's ended the future of the series and should be avoided, that's what riles me up the wrong way. That's not for you to decide.

????? You'll see from the discussion I can more than handle a disagreement and it has been civil.

And if you're replying to someone use the reply function. Clears things up :)
It was to sonoshoo who was calling me a clown and immature

Yeah I was saying it had been civil between us despite disagreeing

Wrong. I have no issues with anyone not liking Shenmue 3. But when they come across as arrogant as you did, pretty much saying that it's ended the future of the series and should be avoided, that's what riles me up the wrong way. That's not for you to decide.
Just as well it’s not me who decides ain’t it ? If a 4th game come out I’d play it but as I said I don’t think it will do as I don’t see anyone taking on that financial burden as they’d need to build it from scratch and redo absolutely everything

they’d need to build it from scratch and redo absolutely everything
Redo absol- What? Ayaaaa! Haha No! Thats it, tell YS.net how videogames are done. They dont have a clue.
It was to sonoshoo who was calling me a clown and immature

Yeah I was saying it had been civil between us despite disagreeing
Youre cheating, while you had some civil moments indeed with Spud, you also came with beligerant terms as front, calling blind and stupid defendants those who just are saying that S3 worked for them. The VF system vs. S3 multiman Battle system loop clearly reflects the poor flaming attempt.
And now Sonoshoo? Please put me in ignore if you havent already :)

No one is saying 3s fighting system is better , aside from you who is arguing it is better?
I’m not really certain how you read me saying 3 is better in what I said. Overall the system in 1&2 has much more depth and feels more fun and responsive. All I said was that the system in 3 is better suited for crowd battles as that was just something the VF engine simply wasn’t designed for.

Just as well it’s not me who decides ain’t it ? If a 4th game come out I’d play it but as I said I don’t think it will do as I don’t see anyone taking on that financial burden as they’d need to build it from scratch and redo absolutely everything

Rebuild everything from scratch? Good God. :rolleyes:
All the work is already done with S3 in regard to assets and tools to make a S4 far more cost efficient and faster to make. The only real effort would be cinematics and animation.

So a game that’s nearly 4 years old and on the ps4 should have everything reused ?

Clearly not even thinking straight , just say it did get commissioned it wouldn’t be out for 2-3 years so would be 6-7 years outdated at that point and you think copy and pasting over all features would be fine? Absolutely delusional

They would need to totally revamp the fighting , stamina , training systems and general controls , let’s not forget it’s unreal engine 4 and there’s currently unreal engine 5

Shenmue is a niche series. Considering how amazing S3 looked on PS4 and at 60fps on PS5, I don't think anyone is going to really worry about how much better S4 will have to look. The only thing S4 will need to do different is story pacing and change up the stamina system, if anything.
You're the delusional one here.

Unreal Engine: standarized game engine.
UE4: Fourth iteration, among its features are blueprints and easy porting assets from UDK.
UE5: Fifth iteration. Delves better in project assets importing. To the extent of Metahuman spitting enhanced models from previous older input. Some user here provided pics of this.

The realism in graphics is widely discussed atm, with the topic pivoting around how far can it get from now, and if its fun at all to get into a simulation rather than the escapism inherent in cartoonesque/unrealist graphics.
At the same time, FFXVI which looks incredible to me, its getting criticism about graphics being outdated/not enough breakthrough.
Hard times for creativity.
Good times for talking about everything without having idea at all.

*Even in the case of migrating a project from i.e. idTech6 to UE5, which would require lot of redo and tweaking, isnt that much of an hard task for an experienced pro team with automated tools of their own.

So a game that’s nearly 4 years old and on the ps4 should have everything reused ?

Clearly not even thinking straight , just say it did get commissioned it wouldn’t be out for 2-3 years so would be 6-7 years outdated at that point and you think copy and pasting over all features would be fine? Absolutely delusional

They would need to totally revamp the fighting , stamina , training systems and general controls , let’s not forget it’s unreal engine 4 and there’s currently unreal engine 5
They'd be insane to even seek a budget to re-do everything again. They spent around 70% of development time building the systems in 3. They'd not be well advised to do that again.

Move everything thorugh to UE5 and update it from there.

Back