Help in creating a few mods for Shenmue I & II (PC)

Favourite title
Shenmue II
I'm currently replaying Shenmue on PC and all the great mods by the many great people on here are awesome.
I can have the original Coca-Cola machines, the restored audio, the Dreamcast subtitles and Cool J return, the original branding like Timex and many more.

There are a few mods which I'd also like to personally make for both Shenmue I and Shenmue II but I have no clue where to start as I've never made mods for any game, let alone Shenmue.

The first mod I want to create is replacing a few textures in Shenmue II with the original Japanese versions, like the Baseball guy you can play darts against, having a Deathball 666 shirt in the original release, but in the International versions, it was replaced with the word Baseball.
The second thing which may be a bit harder to do, would be to replace the death screen when you are
caught by Yuan and her chainsaw in the Yellow Head Building.
In the original version, this was a fade to red to indicate blood, the international release was changed to white instead.

The hardest one of all would be the models being replaced as I presume they are more detailed than textures are. I want to do two replacements, one is the Mary statue in the Thousand White Convent in Kowloon. The original Japanese release had Mary holding a baby Jesus, the international release just had Mary crossing her arms.
The second one is the Lucky Hit bookie in the Lucky Hit Museum in Kowloon's Dimsum Quarter. The original had him wearing a headdress, part of this was fixed by AltGr's great Redreamcasted mod which reinstated his original name, Najimu Hassan (His censored name was Haoyi Ping).

Shenmue I already had a mod by the same great AltGr, but this is sadly lost to time.
The mod fixed the dialogue timing issues present if you use the Japanese audio in Shenmue I & II. He went into a bit of detail on how he managed this when he released the mod originally, way back in 2018.
Detailed here: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/s1-japanese-timings-all-dialogues.1396/

How would I go about starting to make mods for Shenmue I & II?
What programs do I use?
Is it an hard task?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. :)

Back