Have You Seen Me? Possibly Missing NPC in Shenmue II

PSN
sppeac1987
Hey, it's me again with more Shenmue II NPC nonsense! Let's start from the beginning...

A lot of you will know of the project I spent considerable time working on, the Shenmue II Character Database, with the aim of cataloguing all 700+ characters, using Japanese strategy guidebooks of the game as sources.

In the Shenmue II Perfect Guidebook, there are four NPC's who are listed under the 'Lucky Hit Customers' section - referring to customers Ryo encounters while working the part-time job at the Lucky Hit stands. This comes with a caveat - these particular NPC's don't actually play with Ryo, they just ask him for directions etc., or flat out state that they don't want to play against a 'part-timer'. The customers that do play against Ryo are actually seen elsewhere in the game and are mostly made up of bookies from other gambling stands, or pawnshop owners. Hence their profiles are included elsewhere in the guide.

Lucky Hit Customers.png

The non-playing customers profiled in this section are (left to right)
Dong Yangming - scroll down a bit on this blog post on the great Phantom River Stone site for some background and info about this guy's originally intended role!
Zhang Xianghe
Han Xuan - this guy is quite distinctive for his shirt that says 'GET!' on it
And... Gao Ding... who we'll come to...

While Yangming only appears when working the Lucky Hit job in the final game, you may recognise Xianghe and Xuan as also being two of the generic 'pedestrian' NPC's you see wandering around (in both Hong Kong and Kowloon). In fact, in another official guidebook, the Shenmue II Complete Guide, lists these two under the 'Passerby' section of character profiles (it also includes Yangming, but I can't say I've ever personally seen him wandering around as a pedestrian in normal gameplay, as said only ever during the Lucky Hit job)

So what about this guy on the end here, Gao Ding?
At the time I was putting the character database together, I must admit it seems I simply assumed this guy appeared in the final game, so of course included him - assuming that he's seen while Ryo is working the Lucky Hit job, and presumably also as a generic pedestrian wandering around. But is that actually true?
The only reason I recently came to question this is while I was rifling through Shenmue II's character models to root out the ones that are unused (thanks to @Switch to sending me images and file name references of these!). There was one NPC I initially identified as unused as I certainly did not remember seeing such a distinctive T-shirt design on a character anywhere in the final game! He has the character ID of YM2 (the 'YM' presumably stands for 'Young Male' if the other characters with this prefix are anything to go by)
image2669.png
But wait - his head and shoulders are suddenly recognisable, right?
Gao Ding.png

Once I realised this, I started investigating and to see if he actually does appear in the final version of Shenmue II. After working the part-time job at each Lucky Hit stand that it is possible to do so at a few times, he never seemed to appear for me. The other three previously mentioned did - but never Gao Ding. I just assumed he'd behave similarly to them and either ask Ryo for directions or just refuse to play him at Lucky Hit. But nope, never appeared for me, at any of the Lucky Hit stands you can work at. He seems to have eluded the folks at this Shenmue Wiki as well, as his page has no info!

Because the Complete Guidebook also lists him under the 'Passerby' section, I then did sweeps of Aberdeen, Wan Chai and Kowloon to see if he is indeed seen as a pedestrian wandering around in normal gameplay. But I had no joy there either - this was after looking everywhere, including inside shops. He simply doesn't seem to appear in either of these roles.

Now, it's not unheard of of the guidebooks to have slightly inaccurate information - I went into this in a post on my Shenmusings blog, where two NPC's I initially thought were unused turned out to be in the game after all (e.g. the Perfect Guidebook claims an NPC is found in Worker's Pier, when in reality he only appears very briefly in the background of a cutscene in a totally different location!)

But this guy is completely eluding me. Leading me to the conclusion that he is indeed unused. For what it's worth, he doesn't seem to appear anywhere in the recently discovered Game Jam prototype either. So when the heck did this guy actually exist in the game?

So what I'm asking is - does anyone else recall seeing this guy anywhere in the game? If not as a Lucky Hit customer or a 'passerby', maybe he's randomly in the crowd in a cutscene or something? If anyone can prove he does and can provide screenshot/video evidence, it would be very much appreciated! Of course he's not an overly important character but I just find it very strange the guidebooks list him if he is not in the final release of the game...

If anyone else wished to see if they can get him to appear during the Lucky Hit job - see below for a list of stands where you can do this:

Aberdeen

• Fortune's Pier (by No. 10 Warehouse) - run by Ji Hande
  • Queen's Street (near the Big Catch Tackle Shop) - run by Chuan Yueshan
Wan Chai
  • Green Market Qr. (next to Bar Man Mo) - run by Liu Feng
  • South Carmain Qr. #1 (by Carmain Pawnshop) - run by He Shenshi
  • South Carmain Qr. #2 (Alleyway behind Sunny Capital Pharmacy) - run by Yan Yuxiang
  • South Carmain Qr. #3 (next to the Wise Men's Qr. gate) - run by Xu Yingnian
Kowloon

To add a bit more context - here are some pics of the other three characters either asking Ryo about something else or refusing to play him at Lucky Hit (if Gao Ding is (or was) in the game, his role and dialogue would likely be much the same (you still have to shout 'Do you want to play Lucky Hit?' etc. to get them to approach you when you see them walking by)

Han Xuan:
screenshot4743.png
screenshot4784.png

Dong Yangming:
screenshot4771.png
screenshot4889.png

Zhang Xianghe:
screenshot4895.png
screenshot4919.png

Instead of doing part-time on all Lucky Hit stands, wouldn't it be faster to narrow it down based on which disc the file for his character model can be found? Unless, of course, they kept him on all discs, even if unused...

Got this bookmarked as I recall you mentioned it at a previous debate.
Which area are you scouting @Miles Prower ? I'm at the chawan signs (Aberdeen/Wan Chai) atm. Also what was the ingame date when you've been eluded by Gao Ding?

I wasn’t noting the in game date I must admit - one random thought I had is that he might show up on your last day before leaving for Kowloon (as random as that’d be) but I’ve not tested it yet. @LemonHaze has however determined that he should only appear in Fortune’s Pier and South Carmain Qr - so if he is in the game that at least narrows it down somewhat.

I wasn’t noting the in game date I must admit - one random thought I had is that he might show up on your last day before leaving for Kowloon (as random as that’d be) but I’ve not tested it yet. @LemonHaze has however determined that he should only appear in Fortune’s Pier and South Carmain Qr - so if he is in the game that at least narrows it down somewhat.
Great because I'm not using a cleared file, and while I got to Chawan flirting part at 28th February, I plan to stay at the area longer for arriving at Guilin in June, near Bad Ending. Fortune's Pier and South Carmain, noted and ugh those areas aren't close to each other 😅 but I'm gonna share the pain. Other Dojoers should join and share the pain too, but they are very scared and I don't think they can do it.
BTW, do you know another way (no hacking involved) to skip days besides the psycho barber?

As a gesture of thanks for your hard work for the community, I'm willing to try this sometime this week and next (if not more, if I get roped in).

I'll ask first: do we know anything about the rotation of the select folks who come to play Lucky Hit? I.e., is it completely randomized, or do they tend to come at certain times of day, etc.? I'm willing to try different stands at different times, but I want to see if there are any variables that can help me know if it's worth moving on/trying something new.

As a gesture of thanks for your hard work for the community, I'm willing to try this sometime this week and next (if not more, if I get roped in).

I'll ask first: do we know anything about the rotation of the select folks who come to play Lucky Hit? I.e., is it completely randomized, or do they tend to come at certain times of day, etc.? I'm willing to try different stands at different times, but I want to see if there are any variables that can help me know if it's worth moving on/trying something new.
Appreciated! I'm fairly convinced the players are spawned randomly (as sometimes you'll encounter the same person twice or more in the same 'session), but I'll make a point of noting which players appear and in what order (and time of day) and report back when I start a playthrough shortly...

Just reporting first chase day here. Unsuccesful by now, but we just've started. I got surprised (again) by the fast shortcut of South Carmain -> Wise Men -> Golden Qr... to get to Fortune Pier fast. Then the start from yesterday spot will help.

Done: South Carmain Qr. #3 (Xu Yingnian's) and F.Pier.
Carmain was always loopin Dong and Zhang as asking customers.
Aberdeen area however seemed to add Hang Xuang to the loop while not appearing the other two (at least to me at first day of part time job). I see you spawned Hang at both areas.

Gonna keep an eye onto members of The Heavens, his outfit looks like he could be one of them (cutscene exclusive?).

As I already got little sis Fang Mei present, gonna spend more time on it while doing other things. Ren can wait by now.

Hang, only at Aberdeen for me by now:
Screenshot_20230305-235413.png

Random pick, guy looks like me from back:
Screenshot_20230305-225130.png

Appreciate you investigating so thoroughly @Seaman !!
For what it's worth, I've also looked up YouTube playthroughs that feature the Lucky Hit job to see if Gao Ding has appeared for any of them, but nothing so far.

Appreciate you investigating so thoroughly @Seaman !!
For what it's worth, I've also looked up YouTube playthroughs that feature the Lucky Hit job to see if Gao Ding has appeared for any of them, but nothing so far.
YouTube playthroughs! Good one, didn't crossed my mind 🥴
And on japanese video streaming? Back in the day I found many interesting stuff and needed btw, for Disaster Report 1&2, not found anywhere else (besides Soozoka tips, the person most aknowledged in those series that I know).
Nevermind the thorough, I'm on a fever recovering and needed excuse to play Shenmue. You provided, so thank you very much, Miles The Provider Prower.

Didn't think of Japanese videos! Will look into that.
I'm sort of in the same boat - taking time off work this week for mental health reasons so I also have an excuse to dig into this further :p
You're very welcome my dude.

Love the effort here of looking for this guy! Kinda like an early easter egg hunt.
Unfortunately I can't really partake in this atm for hardware reasons, but I still thought about things.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to look through the code if the game even has instructions to spawn this NPC model? And since you are already considering to check the Japanese original, how about playing Lucky Hit in the Game Jam Beta? We don't know what the people who put together the guide books got from the dev team to put the information together. The basis can very much be a pre-release build.

Han Xuan spawned at Free Fortune Eatery at the pier. Here's at two different moments of the day.Screenshot_20230306-103402.png
Screenshot_20230306-105428.png
Then this guy spawns usually to me:
Screenshot_20230306-105155.png
He's looking for a person just like us. What if this is a sort of hidden quest, for Gao Ding a pachinko pro player.

@Miles Prower and @LemonHaze now that at least Han Xuan spot is located, maybe he has a value of coordinates pointing the place. So comparing with Gao Ding's data values maybe we get his spot as passerby/customer, etc?
Atm The other guys resists to appear other than as pachinko players/askers? (afraid they could "live" in Kowloon).
And the "looking for a person" line seems random and not implying anything quest related.. sigh

Last edited:
Back