GTA 6 to have female protagonist

Rumour has been flying around the cult hit sensation Grand Theft Auto 6 is going to have a female protagonist. Now this is a very credible rumour as several well known sources have found out. https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/07/gta-6-has-a-female-protagonist-new-report-claims

Gamers and the media are calling this woke and progressive and now many are trying to boycott the game just for the reason the protagonist is female. Personally I don't give 2 flying doritos about this or GTA in general.

99% of people are not concerned about a female protagonist, and this whole "men hate playing as female characters" is complete nonsense as well. Have you ever seen an online mmo? it's mostly male players playing as female characters.

The biggest concern people have is that GTA could be toned down.
I couldn't said better myself.
This whole nonsense is made up for dividing people among noise, a decoy.

Indeed, @Hermit hit the nail on the head.

There may be a vocal minority of haters (we Shenmue fans are surely unfamiliar with such things :sneaky:). That said, if you'll permit my snark: if some folks are frustrated that their make believe "shoot up a city and be a badass while listening to penis jokes" simulator requires that you play as a woman, there's little you can do to reason with them. Odd how some can suspend reality up until... such a curious "imposition."
Moreover, it's been suggested there's a "Bonnie and Clyde" spirit to her inclusion, with you playing as both the male and the female in Vice City alone (vs. several cities). If true, I think this a great idea. Two meaningfully related characters exploring a more intimate map is closer to the roots of GTA. Better than the bloat and wilderness of GTA V and RDR2.

That said, in addition to the real concern of it being "toned down," I think some are also concerned about the rumors of it being "live service", even in single player. I recall one source suggesting they may add the other cities as season passes. I admit I'll be disinclined to play GTA VI if they aggressively implement non-cosmetic micro-transactions, season passes, etc. as if it's GTA Online, but we'll have to wait and see.

In short: a female protagonist is the least of my concerns.

I mean let's be real, even if you don't like the fact that a girl will be playable in the game, I'd imagine Rockstar will still use the three main characters concept that was in GTA5. There will still be a male protag along with the female.

I personally always remember The Ewoks animated series of my childhood when the term woke appears. Anyone else? BOY I loved the adventures of Wickett and his crew. There was a scary episode involving flying stones chasing the ewoks, a bit of Lovecraftnian isn't it?

I hope common sense win and Rockstar doesn't get an unfair boycott just because this singular one in a time mistake, of making the main character a female. They will surely return to the righteous male path with GTA7. I cant see Rockstar going ewok.

Personally, I haven't touched a GTA game since the late 90s and probably never will again. This situation reminds me of Shenmue a little bit, though. Alright, you don't like game xyz? Well, move the heck on, then. Don't play it - end of story . No need to throw a hissy fit.

Some people just look for excuses to vent their frustration.

if true.. i'm not bothered about playing as a female but i guarantee they won't make her a straight woman. mainly because male gamers don't want to play as a female lead who chases/sleeps with men.

99% of people are not concerned about a female protagonist, and this whole "men hate playing as female characters" is complete nonsense as well. Have you ever seen an online mmo? it's mostly male players playing as female characters.

This.

We should close this thread right now with this message. I think we all agree and there's nothing else to discuss :ROFLMAO:

Im not concerned about a female protagonist but im concern in a gta game imo

Any issue that people take with the next GTA possibly featuring a female protagonist, in my opinion, comes down to the following question: are Rockstar including a female protagonist because they envisioned this character as female from the get-go or because they feel they have to in order to atone for decades of complaints or because so-called "diversity" is the "in" thing?

I'm all for the former, but it would be very un-Rockstar-like if it's the latter. Dickheads on both sides of the fence will never be satisfied either way. Those who just don't want a female protagonist will stew in their own misery, while the woke will base their complaints on their usual arcane hivemind psychobabble.

The proof will be in the pudding, in terms of how well-written the character ends up being. I'm digging the whole "Bonnie and Clyde"-like rumour that has been circulating. That dynamic has great potential.

We shall see.

As a non-American, the whole concept of wokness is so foreign to me that I have always laughed when people are complaining about it. It is just too weird for a simple European like myself to comprehend. As long as the character is good to control and not terribly written I do not mind female characters.

I really wonder how the 90s kids could preserve their mental health while gaming. We often had to play with animals or other beings we cannot identify with at all. Modern gaming kids would get a mental breakdown if they had to play with such things if they cannot play with a character that looks like a female human being.

Last edited:
As usual the media tries to spin it in the most asinine way to put normal folks in a bad light. If you don’t like [new product] then you’re racist or sexist because this company has decided to use the idea of progressiveness as a shield. Not far off from them capitalizing on pride only to go back to the status quo as soon as the month is over.

Maybe there are a very small minority that for whatever reason just don’t like playing as women for dumb reasons, but I’d wager the vast majority know what this actually implies for the game as a whole. With the talk of the humor in the game also being “toned down”, it’s not hard to wonder whether it will even have anything at all that the last games are known for. Just as an example, Saints Row has had the option to play as a woman for a long time now - no one is upset that that’s also the case for the new one. No, people are upset that the humor and tone are entirely different and in the vein of some hipster garbage rather than what it really ought to be given the series’ roots and history. It’s a betrayal of expectations of fans who have supported you, in exchange for trying to entice new fans who have shown many times before that they do not buy games regardless and are never satisfied.

Female characters have been in games for near about as long as games have existed, and have been equally as good and bad as their male counterparts…and yet thanks to rhetoric from pathological liars like Anita Sarkeesian, many take at face value the notion that it’s a fairly new concept and that any that came before are only ever sexist examples. It’s extremely ridiculous and falls flat on it’s face as soon as you do any if your own research into the topic.

For me personally, I don’t trust that Rockstar can write a good female character regardless of any underlying agendas, given how awful gtav was…where the only decent character was Trevor, especially coming after iv. I feel the good talent was probably working on RDR2 for far longer, and have since decided to leave the company before this whole online focus bullshit started really being set in stone. It wouldn’t surprise me if the story had forced online implementation and leaned heavily on shark cards either. Whoever likes that kind of thing, well, all I can say is…good luck. Suckers are born every day.

Back