Getting people to play Shenmue I and II is a hard task, advices?

most of them are very resistant to even try it or look whats all about, maybe because of how its (gorgeous) graphics look ancient now

I tried to explain younger people than me how great these games are and how rewarding the experience is but they dont seem to understand what Im talking about

Its sad, people dont value a game full of heart and soul like Shenmue or its hidden aspects, Ive seem stupid people playing the same action games with the shoulder camera over and over

I believe every Shenmue fan should buy a copy of Shenmue I & II to a friend and insist to get them to know the game.

So far out of 4 people I tried, only 1 showed interest and added it to her wish list, Im probably buying a copy to her as a gift if she shows any other sign of interest in the game or its story

I think Im making a bit of progress with the 2nd one but she is a fan of Resident Evil modern games and is playing stuff like God of War 2018, ofc these games are not even close to Shenmue I and II greatness but they dont know this, and they will only know after they beat SHENMUE II and wont stop thinking about it

I know because I got into the games only after I was able to break the initial barrier (first one is slow and can be tedious), but this only happened nearly 20 years after the game's release (I was 14 years old when Shenmue 1 was released)

There were times Shenmue II made me rage quit (due to QTE commands) but the anger gone shortly after and the game grown on me and became my favourite ever.

Somebody told me they dont deserve to play Shenmue, but I disagree. Every person in the world deserves.

I learned a long, long time ago to simply recommend things to people and leave it at that. Most of the time if someone wants to try something, they will, whether you recommended it or not. Being pushy will only cause people to resent you, and the game itself.

If they want to play Shenmue, they will. If not, it's not the end of the world.

I learned a long, long time ago to simply recommend things to people and leave it at that. Most of the time if someone wants to try something, they will, whether you recommended it or not. Being pushy will only cause people to resent you, and the game itself.

If they want to play Shenmue, they will. If not, it's not the end of the world.

perhaps youre right, I wont insist anymore

Relevant tweet 😅

But yeah, you can't just make someone be interested in a thing you enjoy by recommending it over and over. I've been on the receiving end of it with show and game recommendations that I just know I'll never be interested in. Being constantly pestered and told how much I'll love them makes me feel even less inclined. Like I'd be doing it out of obligation, not genuine interest.

The best way to convince someone else to play the game isn't to hype it up to them, it's to be enthusiastic about your own experience and show your own love for it. Everyone I've 'convinced' to play Shenmue has done so because they see my passion for the games and the visible excitement every time the topic comes up.

At the end of the day, there will be people who are willing to try it, and people who aren't. And that's fine.

I've tried enough times to get my friends in to Shenmue. Even bought the game once for them. They played it for 15 minutes, put it down, and now just laugh about how there's a different angle for putting your shoes on and off every time you walk inside. At this point, I've given up. None of my friends will ever play the series. It's unfortunate, but what can I do?

They just don't understand why we like it so much, and never will understand if they're not looking to put in the effort to actually beat one of the games.

thats too hardcore, I would buy extra copies of DC games for myself knowing I could make money out of it years later, but not to someone else like this

the digital versions of Shenmue I and II are affordable, its not a big deal buy one once in a while to give it away to a friend as a gift

but I had thoughts about giving a PS5 as a gift to someone if she was able to play and beat it, and only if she actually did beat and genuinely enjoyed the two games on her PS4

Its not out of nowhere but an excuse to support her streamer job since shes starting out and she needs support, somehow my heart says to me this is the right thing to do

YI WUDE - "Always act without hesitation to do what you perceive is right."

If Im allowed to help others, why not?

But I was conditioning it to Shenmue hehe , aint gonna give anything if its a person without the 4 WUDE, and right now she lacks discipline, bravery, a heart free of conceit and perception to do what is right , so no PS5 from me

Im used to keep my promises, but didnt promised anything yet, just thoughts I had in rewarding someone to support her

Last edited:
thats too hardcore, I would buy extra copies of DC games for myself knowing I could make money out of it years later, but not to someone else like this

the digital versions of Shenmue I and II are affordable, its not a big deal buy one once in a while to give it away to a friend as a gift

but I had thoughts about giving a PS5 as a gift to someone if she was able to play and beat it, and only if she actually did beat and genuinely enjoyed the two games on her PS4
Oh yeah, it was the digital PS4 version I bought for them. Bought it when it was on sale, otherwise I wouldn't have haha. My friends have heard me talk good about these games for a long time, and they know my passion for the series. However, they just aren't interested. Oh well... :/

Oh yeah, it was the digital PS4 version I bought for them. Bought it when it was on sale, otherwise I wouldn't have haha. My friends have heard me talk good about these games for a long time, and they know my passion for the series. However, they just aren't interested. Oh well... :/

that bothers me, they lack a heart free of conceit

I mean I hated Shenmue at certain parts but I always got back to it, the games had me hooked

whats the part of Shenmue I you find out you cant drop it anymore?

I have a friend who wants me to get destiny but im not interested. I have another friend who ridicules me for only playing GTA Online but plays games im not interested in. The world is like that.

sorry but in my opinion your friends have bad taste, as both Destiny and GTA Online are not very good games

GTA Online is full with teenage trolls that will kill you for nothing, if you want to play in peace you have to turn off killing and be invisible doing single player quests alone

I mean, they play what is throwed at their faces to play, but I agree, that the world is like this, big coorporations money prevails because they have the marketing budget to market trash as gold

Doesnt mean Shenmue cant be offered by players who love it from one heart to another , thats called "Mouth to mouth" advertising

thats why Shenmue has a cult following

Last edited:
sorry but in my opinion your friends have bad taste, as both Destiny and GTA Online are not very good games

GTA Online is full with teenage trolls that will kill you for nothing, if you want to play in peace you have to turn off killing and be invisible doing single player quests alone

I mean, they play what is throwed at their faces to play, but I agree, that the world is like this, big coorporations money prevails because they have the marketing budget to market trash as gold

Doesnt mean Shenmue cant be offered by players who love it from one heart to another , thats called "Mouth to mouth" advertising

thats why Shenmue has a cult following
There is a solo mode in online too but if that aint your thing then why not try Lucky Hit?

Last edited:
One thing that’s recently helped me a lot to get some friends into the games is to get them to watch the first half of the anime and then to play Shenmue 2. Shenmue 1 is probably my favorite game of all time but it’s just not a very casual friendly game to get into compared to 2. Watching just 5 episodes of the anime isn’t really a big commitment and usually hooks people in enough to at least try 2.

(Note: I am strictly referring to the first two games in this post.)

Shenmue is a series that, by today's standards, doesn't look at all fun to play, especially to those who are unaware of its existence; who would otherwise never feel the need to research the game beyond a few YouTube videos or leafing through Wikipedia. The vast majority of us here were introduced to the series when we were much younger, when it was all cutting edge and awe-inspiring. But today - arcade games? Big deal. QTEs? Ohh, whoopee! Feeding a kitten? Been there, done that.

However, it wasn't the cutting-edge technology that caused us to fall in love with the game, but the magical elements written into its DNA that are so difficult to articulate with words alone. Of all the posts, articles, and essays I have read about what Shenmue means to that individual - and I've read a lot of them - I have never found myself going, "YES! That is what Shenmue is all about! That is what makes Shenmue mean so much to us! Perfect answer!" Not. Once. Our love of the series seemingly defies articulation.

What I'm getting at is that we were all so wowed by what we were seeing in trailers, screenshots, and previews that we didn't need to be asked twice - come hell or high water, we were sold. Those days have long since past - the technology has evolved so much that Shenmue looks primitive by comparison - and what was a bridge to us is now a barrier to the very people you are trying to introduce the games to.

That being said, open-mindedness goes a long way, and those who possess such a trait may be open to the idea of giving the games a whirl. And if they can get over that previously-mentioned barrier, they, too, may find themselves being mesmerised by the "magic" and falling in love with the series.

My recommendation? Ask them if they have ever heard of or even played a bit of either of the games. If they have, ask them what they thought. If they haven't heard of or played them, tell them what you love about the games and, from what you already know about their tastes, what you think they would enjoy about them. If they have heard of them but haven't played them, ask them what they thought of what they read, heard, or saw. Get a conversation going. If they have played a bit them, ask them what they thought, and what caused them to stop playing. Again, get a conversation going. Just don't insist they play them; that'll put them completely off the idea.

If you feel like splashing out, you could even gift them Shenmue I & II on their platforms of choice. That way, they won't feel pressured or obligated, but the games will always be there for them when they don't feel like playing anything else. It will be their decision, and that is the best way for them to be introduced to the games.

One thing that’s recently helped me a lot to get some friends into the games is to get them to watch the first half of the anime and then to play Shenmue 2. Shenmue 1 is probably my favorite game of all time but it’s just not a very casual friendly game to get into compared to 2. Watching just 5 episodes of the anime isn’t really a big commitment and usually hooks people in enough to at least try 2.

I think Shenmue 1 is a big part of the experience, I know its hard to get into it compared to S2, but in S1 is where youre connected to Ryo in Dobuita, Ine-San, Fuku-San and his girl Nozomi, Tom & other friends he left behind to pursue revenge.

Shenmue 1 is Ryo's home, where he grown up and where he was surrounded by friendly people from his neighbourhood and people who loved him.

Shenmue 2 has a much more unfriendly environment and shit starts to happen to him right away when Wong steals his bag.

Its because Shenmue 1 and the previous life Ryo had in his childhood you feel sorry for Wong doing such things as commiting crimes and living in a boat, and that comparison makes the whole meaning of the song 'The Morning Fog's Wave' that plays in the boat scene.

Its because Shenmue 1 you realize Master Tao was right when she said to Ryo go back home, since he left a future with Nozomi behind.

If they dont play Shenmue 1, they wont be attached to Ryo's past and wont understand a lot of things in 2.

The people in Shenmue 1 are a lot more important than the people in Shenmue 2.

Knowing Ryo well and living his life is what makes a bridge to understand better the main character and the other people he will meet further.

Carrying crates and books almost made drop Shenmue II, but I was connected to 1 in such a manner, I was forced to continue doing mundane tasks to progress in the story.

(Note: I am strictly referring to the first two games in this post.)

Shenmue is a series that, by today's standards, doesn't look at all fun to play, especially to those who are unaware of its existence; who would otherwise never feel the need to research the game beyond a few YouTube videos or leafing through Wikipedia. The vast majority of us here were introduced to the series when we were much younger, when it was all cutting edge and awe-inspiring. But today - arcade games? Big deal. QTEs? Ohh, whoopee! Feeding a kitten? Been there, done that.

However, it wasn't the cutting-edge technology that caused us to fall in love with the game, but the magical elements written into its DNA that are so difficult to articulate with words alone. Of all the posts, articles, and essays I have read about what Shenmue means to that individual - and I've read a lot of them - I have never found myself going, "YES! That is what Shenmue is all about! That is what makes Shenmue mean so much to us! Perfect answer!" Not. Once. Our love of the series seemingly defies articulation.

What I'm getting at is that we were all so wowed by what we were seeing in trailers, screenshots, and previews that we didn't need to be asked twice - come hell or high water, we were sold. Those days have long since past - the technology has evolved so much that Shenmue looks primitive by comparison - and what was a bridge to us is now a barrier to the very people you are trying to introduce the games to.

That being said, open-mindedness goes a long way, and those who possess such a trait may be open to the idea of giving the games a whirl. And if they can get over that previously-mentioned barrier, they, too, may find themselves being mesmerised by the "magic" and falling in love with the series.

My recommendation? Ask them if they have ever heard of or even played a bit of either of the games. If they have, ask them what they thought. If they haven't heard of or played them, tell them what you love about the games and, from what you already know about their tastes, what you think they would enjoy about them. If they have heard of them but haven't played them, ask them what they thought of what they read, heard, or saw. Get a conversation going. If they have played a bit them, ask them what they thought, and what caused them to stop playing. Again, get a conversation going. Just don't insist they play them; that'll put them completely off the idea.

If you feel like splashing out, you could even gift them Shenmue I & II on their platforms of choice. That way, they won't feel pressured or obligated, but the games will always be there for them when they don't feel like playing anything else. It will be their decision, and that is the best way for them to be introduced to the games.

Well I tried this, my nephew has the game since its launch, I gave him my XBOX ONE when I replaced mine with a ONE X years ago, and installed Shenmue I & II to his account, he never touched the game.

He is playing Zelda Twilight Princess HD in the WiiU I gave to him for like the 10th time lol

Im curious if this girl will drop Shenmue I

she played about 2 hours and a half, in two parts, this 2nd part video is from 4 days ago

I dropped her a message to not give up haha

I may need to ban myself after saying this.....

I've found the people I have recommended Shenmue to have gotten on better witht the 2nd game if they get there. So now i say to people if you want a more action packed experience then Shenmue 2 is the place to start after watching a catch-up video on the first game.

That seems to have gotten a few more people interested.

Im curious if this girl will drop Shenmue I

she played about 2 hours and a half, in two parts, this 2nd part video is from 4 days ago

I dropped her a message to not give up haha
Calm down, dude 😄

(1) She's most likely enjoying her weekend, away from gaming, and (2) that is her latest upload, and she appears to be playing other games at the same time.

Back