General RGG Discussion

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Like a Dragon Ishin Mini Game Overview Trailer
I love the music. Still not a fan of the new remake Unreal Engine look.
Why is it so colorful, bright and cartoony
I think it looks way better, more natural, in the old engine

ishin new vs old.png

Same as the original version, which is good that they're including everything.

I didn't really get into fan dancing or the sake drinking (actually, I think I remember doing this, but I also can't remember if this was in the original lol).

It's irritating that the casuals and the Western fans are calling it, "farming," though: it's a garden, not a farm. I do the identical steps in my backyard every year and I don't call my backyard or my actions, a farm or, "farming."

Cohh Carnage is a pretty big live streamer on Twitch.
He started playing Yakuza 0 because of his chat and then played all of them because he liked them so much.
And he is a good dude in general. Hes a very chill guy.

But i think its kinda bs how Sega is pushing this campaign now,
like all of a sudden its like all of the content creators who only started with Yakuza like 4-5 years ago
are super fans and they were always rooting for the studio and they have the biggest Yakuza community
and its so cool how we fought to get the Ishin Remake ...
I already said this a couple of pages ago but this is exactly what i meant with
forced calculated promotion. Stuff like this doesnt get created to make a game good or better,
it only gets created for the promotion campaign. The whole reason why this exists, is to post news about it on Twitter.
And all of this "this is for the community" is just a slimy distraction.

Lets push it to the next level in Yakuza 8 and suddenly western Twitch streamers or Youtubers
are in the game as guests in side missions or whatever ...
This leaves a bad taste in my mouth

If you ask me, a content creator who happens to be a fan of like a overseas game or movie or whatever,
should be rooting for the project because its from overseas and they should promote / play / watch it
as a overseas experience. Because its something different.
Thats support enough. Thats supporting a foreign project because its a foreign project.
But it kind of turns everything upside down if we start to put these people into the actual projects.

Last edited:
Cohh Carnage is a pretty big live streamer on Twitch.
He started playing Yakuza 0 because of his chat and then played all of them because he liked them so much.
And he is a good dude in general. Hes a very chill guy.

But i think its kinda bs how Sega is pushing this campaign now,
like all of a sudden its like all of the content creators who only started with Yakuza like 4-5 years ago
are super fans and they were always rooting for the studio and they have the biggest Yakuza community
and its so cool how we fought to get the Ishin Remake ...
I already said this a couple of pages ago but this is exactly what i meant with
forced calculated promotion. Stuff like this doesnt get created to make a game good or better,
it only gets created for the promotion campaign. The whole reason why this exists, is to post news about it on Twitter.
And all of this "this is for the community" is just a slimy distraction.

Lets push it to the next level in Yakuza 8 and suddenly western Twitch streamers or Youtubers
are in the game as guests in side missions or whatever ...
This leaves a bad taste in my mouth

If you ask me, a content creator who happens to be a fan of like a overseas game or movie or whatever,
should be rooting for the project because its from overseas and they should promote / play / watch it
as a overseas experience. Because its something different.
Thats support enough. Thats supporting a foreign project because its a foreign project.
But it kind of turns everything upside down if we start to put these people into the actual projects.

Yup, it's placating the West and new fans, the exact thing that I have written that I hate and is ruining the series, for the past 2 years.

The bold is exactly how I feel and I really don't care if it makes me (us), "old men yelling at clouds," I constantly (not to get a point across, just sharing info) tweeted/replied to tweets about the character election in 2013 for Ishin! and how involved many of us got in voting every day (and when we found loopholes in the voting, how nuts we went with the amount of votes per day) and about the discussions we had on Gfaqs and all that.

Crickets from everyone, because no one could relate or even knew what I was talking about.

And seeing, "Like a Dragon: Ishin," is just weird: It's Ryu ga Gotoku: Ishin!, damnit.

I'm sure I'm reading into things too much, but I had to laugh at them opening their press-release here with "over-the-top". I'll give the demo a shot after work.

I already tried the demo. Too be honest ... graphics are fine. Fine, fine, not great.
The sword + gun stance gameplay is fine but all the other stances feel kind of lame?
Like theres no feedback when you play with the sword stance
and even on normal difficulty it felt like enemies could easily overrun me because it wasnt possible
to block or evade all of the attacks. The stance is way too slow for that.
The mobility works with the sword + gun stance because you can evade everything and attack very fast.
But with sword only or fists only its like the enemies dont care about my attacks and i'm getting hit left and right.
These cards on screen look horrible. Like some kind of mobile game UI where it wants me to touch the screen.
Also i dont think that this is a good demo for the game. Like this is a basic wave after wave combat mission
without any context in the middle of the night. Is this supposed to attract new players?
Because i dont think that this will impress any new players.

Aside from the additions like whatever the card thing is, isn’t the gameplay basically unchanged from the original release?

Yeah i guess so. I never tried the original japanese version.
I guess you are supposed to change stances based on situations and not based on what you prefer, maybe?
The simple sword stance simply doesnt seem to work against big groups
but the sword + gun stance can easily handle this type of situation.
So maybe you are supposed to match the stances to the combat situation
rather than playing with whatever stance you like. ?

I haven’t played much of the original, so I can’t say for sure.

What I think is a bit concerning is what I mentioned a couple pages back, which is RGG pretty much marketing this as a brand new game without significantly updating any of its core mechanics. I’m betting most of the general gaming public and newer Yakuza fans may find the gameplay dated. I remember seeing an IGN or Gamespot hands-on video stating that the combat felt stiff and awkward. Stiff and awkward combat in this series is something that most older fans are not only used to, but also saw the gradual improvements with each game, making the appreciation of the combat system grow. I could be totally wrong about the potential negative reception, and I really hope I am.

I appreciate the new paint job. What I don’t care for is the shoehorning of useless features to appeal to the newer fans who mainly just love the “zany, over-the-top Japaneseness” they found from Yakuza 0 and onwards. What I can’t stand is all this being done when the core basic gameplay could still use a lot of work (refer to my rant on a boss battle from Judgement a few pages back).

Yeah, it is a bit weird that they went all the way to actual remake the game but then all they did
was ... lets call it "upgrading" the graphics (and deleting some content, great)
but then they didnt add any "freshness" to the combat.
Well i guess the cards are supposed to be that, but those are simply overpowered attacks
to make you win faster without effort. I tried two of them in the demo and it instantly killed a whole group of enemies,
like 6, 7, 8 at once that you cant kill that fast without the cards. Why didnt they improve the typical wonkiness
of targeting the different enemies or how fluent the movement is and stuff like that?
It feels like a strange mix of like half a remaster, half a remake.
Its great that Sega was finally listening to the feedback but i mean
all of the old fans who knew about Ishin and were begging and begging, would have been fine with the PS4 version graphics.
Like thats literally the game they were asking for.
And as a remake it doesnt add anything to actually attract new players.
So i dont really understand the concept of this version.

I'll quote what I said a couple of days ago in the what are you playing thread:

Brilliant title, was an, "All-Star," game of sorts for the series, taking a bit from the Bakumatsu period and injecting a bit of their own plot into it. It worked well and the end-result was a fantastic game from top to bottom.

They have remade it, modified it to be more PC in today's world and have added a bunch of stupid shit that the, "fandom," loves, like adding in a bunch of random Twitch streamers (and Kenny Omega) as, "cards," in a rather stupid-looking (don't know how it is in practice) side battle system that is optional to even use.

Nagosh and Yokoyama were keeping the series super-Japanese and within that universe: this being the first were they are not at the helm, they've gone full-out, "let's cater to the Western fans that are ruining the series and its reputation, with their idiotic, sophomoric memes and who think 0 is the greatest game ever."

As a RGG lifer, it is sad to see... but money is king and if it makes them more money to cater to these new fans, they'll do it.

I think we discussed it here last year, that now with Nagosh gone and Yokoyama being less hands-on on the meat and potatoes of the game (and more of an overall supervisor/director, like Nagosh was), how much would things change from a presentation POV? So far, they are indeed making it, "a game/series for the fandom," and straying from the original path.

I just hope Gaiden goes back to the roots, especially with a Kiryu-centric title.

It really is sad to see. I’m happy the series is more popular now than it’s ever been before, and I’m not saying that it’s starting to become unrecognizable, but that could be a possibility down the road. It may be very early to start judging the future of the series, but just take a look at anything in popular media that was once considered “niche” and then taken mainstream.

To me surprise, I found I actually really enjoyed the combat in the demo. I think I'm going to wait to see if they patch in an "original" gameplay mode or w/e that completely removes the card stuff, including from the bosses. If not, I'll just wait for a good sale, because I really feel like that should've been in there from the start. 🤷‍♂️

Back