General RGG Discussion

Yeah, i mean all of these RGG Studio games have some very good looking setpieces / scenarios / areas
and i think especially all of the characters based on real people do look really good
(the generic female NPCs could look better because sometimes they do look like barbie dolls
in terms of human skin quality compared to the main characters)

Also most of the Kamurocho streets are fine in terms of design and so on
but i still think they could do a lot of improvements in terms of
texture quality of the buildings, streets, signs and so on
and especially lighting and shadows are kind of stuck in the 'PS3 era'.
There are also some walls in these streets that have the same low res texture since two or three games.
A lot of times in RGG games, you can see that the street details like
bikes, chair, tables and so dont have a shadow at all or some fake shadow etc.
Which sometimes creates this kind of arcade game Xbox 360 / PS3 look.

You can see how cool for example Yagami can look indoors in LJ under specific single light sources
but you dont have this kind of lighting outside, its just a very basic sun.
And some of the streets / areas in Yakuza 7 / LJ in Yokohama look really empty and simple,
almost as if you accidentally walked out of the playable game map.

The base frame is totally fine, main characters are great
but there is room for all kinds of small improvements that would push it to the next level.

I'm on Yakuza 3, chapter 8. I'm finding myself really uninterested in the side content this time. I really don't like the cabaret mini game here. The fighting is also ridiculous--all the blocking. Some of the random street fights are also way harder than even boss fights (?). Like I just fought Majima in the Colisseum and found him way easier than some of the random thugs I've had to deal with.

Yet it's Yakuza and I just can't help but enjoy the general vibe and attitude when I experience the entire package. I also love how goofy the whole orphanage deal is.

I'm on Yakuza 3, chapter 8. I'm finding myself really uninterested in the side content this time. I really don't like the cabaret mini game here. The fighting is also ridiculous--all the blocking. Some of the random street fights are also way harder than even boss fights (?). Like I just fought Majima in the Colisseum and found him way easier than some of the random thugs I've had to deal with.

Yet it's Yakuza and I just can't help but enjoy the general vibe and attitude when I experience the entire package. I also love how goofy the whole orphanage deal is.
Yakuza 3 remains my least favorite of the games.

Yakuza 3 remains my least favorite of the games.
Not to resurrect the Shenmue vs Yakuza stuff, but there are times where I wonder if people really think endless cinematics are less boring than actual gameplay. I think these games sometimes spend a little too much time on FMVs. It’s more noticeable when you don’t spend all your time messing around with the side content. The main game is pretty short on gameplay.

Not to resurrect the Shenmue vs Yakuza stuff, but there are times where I wonder if people really think endless cinematics are less boring than actual gameplay. I think these games sometimes spend a little too much time on FMVs. It’s more noticeable when you don’t spend all your time messing around with the side content. The main game is pretty short on gameplay.
They can at times, for sure. I actually just started the series over again for the first time tonight with 0, after playing all of the main games,including Judgment and it's sequel. There are times when the cinematics never seem to end. I don't hate any of the games, but yeah...

I knocked the main story gameplay, but chapter 8 ended up being a brawlfest!

I’m still doing all the sub stories. That’s the X factor for the series, the ultimate appeal. I love those damn mini stories.

Down to the doppleganger deep cover CIA agent?
Nah. Mostly about how bases in Okinawa have always been an issue and that year during an election when the Democratic Party of Japan won the majority with Yukio Hatoyama as Prime Minister, one of his goals was to move the US bases to Guam. Obama used prior agreements to refuse and because of Hatoyama being unable to live up to that promise, he resigned in less than a year.

One of the few times I've been hit hard by the feels, in a game.

Like I said, I hate Tamashiro lol and chapter 2 is only PART of the hate.

They even go ahead and sledgehammer Mame’s dog house. I thought they were gonna go for Mame, which would’ve been going a little far for me. Poor lil dog. ;’( I can’t wait to take out Mine…

I really like Yakuza 3. I can look past the downgrades from the Dragon Engine. I have verrrrry strong memories of playing Yakuza 1 on a PS2 without a hard drive. If I could look past that...

Last edited:
I finished it. The fighting definitely felt a bit off this time around, especially when fighting bosses. I swear some of the random street thugs and mini bosses gave me more trouble than some of the main bosses, like Mine. The crazy amount of blocking in that last fight nearly drove me nuts. Otherwise he didn’t offer much challenge. There’s also a fight with a sub-captain in the last area that seemed to take an eternity. Ending is bittersweet; of course Mine nearly redeems himself.

Gonna go back to do some sub stories. I can’t move on to Y4 just yet.

Last edited:
I'm glad Hamazak gets a bit of redemption in 4: he was my favourite of the big three in this game (and I haven't come across anyone who hates Mine, thus far) and if you go back to the arena in New Game+ (or Premium Adventure or whatever they call it in 3; can't remember :(), he's an opponent you can fight against! :D

Is that the dude that stabs Kiryu at the end (does he have to 'die' every time!? :eek:)? I honestly couldn't remember who the hell he was. I looked it up and I guess he doesn't really actually do much in Yakuza 3! That's good. They've got so much stuff going on in these games. I sort of want to start Y4 soon because I usually forget everything but the crazy side stories and a couple big plot points. I always take a while between Yakuzas.

Kiryu forgives EVERYBODY. What a guy. I would've probably forgiven Mine as well, had he not been part of that ORPHANAGE WRECKAGE scene. You could feel that love for Daigo-san, y'know.

So my Yakuza history to date. I’ve played to the end:

Yakuza 0
Yakuza 1
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Yakuza 3
Judgment

I guess I’m a fan… I really want to play 7 and Lost Judgment but I figure I might as well just go sequentially now. I’m not sure burnout is a factor if I’ve made it this far. So should I play Lost Judgment or Yakuza 4 first? I’m not as crazy about completing everything after drowning in Yakuza 0. I’ve learned to make peace with leaving lots of stuff incomplete.

Last edited:
I've played them all (as far as main games and Judgment games go), with 0 as my first. 1 - 4 were fun but not incredibly memorable for me. 5, 6, 7, and both Judgments were really good.

Indeed, that's him MJQ! (it's Hamazaki, but I sometimes drop the last vowel as a nickname of sorts; a quirk of my childhood I can't always get rid of :()

Of the big three in 3, he is the one with the least screentime, but he completely vanishes after you defeat Lau ka Long. His redemption in 4 is great :)

And I would DEFINITELY go 4 before LJ; the series has evolved so, SO much, better to work your way to it.

I am currently re-binge playing it right now. I started with Yakuza 0 this January and about to finish the remastered version of 4 (and will later move on to 5, 6, Judgment, 7, Lost Judgment, Kurohyo 1 & 2, Deal Souls, Kenzan, Ishin, and Fist of the North Star).

For 8, I'd like to see some new characters and jobs. I can see it as a good opportunity to bring back Akiyama and Tanimura.

Back