GameStop releasing early?

I have had in the past where they have released games at 9pm but usually some other big release tied that night.

If I called Monday and ask if they be willing to do think I might have luck of getting it 9pm Monday night? Most recent they did was WWE 2k18 last October. At least for me.

I discovered that in America Gamestop will release according to the east coast time nationwide. So if you're in the Pacific Time Zone (west coast), you should be able to pick up your copy at 9pm local time as that will be midnight on the east coast. I heard that they decided to do this to keep up with digital releases as that's how companies have been handling game releases digitally.

I live in central standard so not sure but i don’t pre order games much so was hoping and figured this is how they do catch up. Maybe I’ll get lucky.

I’ll call them Monday and see what they say. Hopefully yes.

I wouldn't count on it. In my experience they only do that for the bigger releases.

The game is already being sold at retail here, Stores like Carrefour or Fnac have them already.

GameStop will only do a 9 PM release for the biggest of titles. Typically, if something small launches alongside a major title(say Madden) then you can get whatever would release at 9.

Like if Madden was to release on Tuesday and they began selling at 9pm on Monday, but Shenmue also was scheduled for Tuesday, you can pick it up also.

They base early release on reservations and demand company-wide. Usually, only MAJOR titles get it(like Red Dead Redemption 2).

Some sites are already shipping them, people might get them Saturday or Monday...

Didn’t figure it would hurt to ask. Might give them a call Monday just for the hell of it to see if there’s any chance of them doing it. I can’t demember what else released but it was on a Thursday as I had the deluxe and it came out 4 days before the regular release. So can’t exactly remember. Would have to go back tonight and google.

My pre-order has been shipped this morning, I expect it to arrive tomorrow or early Monday (UK time).
I'd guess that the day-one patch could also be made available on Monday, if not earlier.

Last edited:
I got mine today from TheGameCollection, not going to psot pictures but I'm sure everyone knwos the details anyways.

Hmm, mine still says Tuesday for x1 version, but I’m getting worried

Well, I'm in Norway and ordered it from the UK branch. With all this talk of patches it's actually OK... Yes, I would have loved to go right in, but having to wait a couple of more days until the weekend when there'll be patches and I'll actually have time to just be all "bye for the next 4-5 hours, nice knowing you!" it's ok. Kind of. ? Also have a week off work starting 7th September where the plan is to play, so yeah. Just felt a bit sad seeing that status of the order. But us Shenmue fans aren't exactly unaccustomed to waiting ? It's all good.

Back