Games You Like But Everone Else Hates.

Evil Twin. Loved the puzzles and difficulty level. Seems those two are what most hate about it. Never encountered any bugs, never broken for me on Dreamcast. Amazing gfx and stunning art direction and imagination.

Mass Effect Andromeda: I actually thought the story carried quite well. Yes the animations were not great but it was a game I enjoyed and wanted to finish. It got a worse press than I think it deserved and actually sold OK. From what I understand it went through development hell and was basically redone half way through production. I'd like to see Mass effect return again.

images(3).jpg

This generation? Definitely Mass Effect Andromeda I gotta agree. People just focus too much on the quality of stories presented in cutscenes but the ones that stay with me after the game over screen are those that I craft myself while in full control of my avatar. Stuff like planning for an assault on an enemy base to free prisoners while my shield is depleting quickly due to radiation in the planet and succeding on said assault due to my own devised creative tactical approach and not some setpiece predefined by the developers. So in this regard, this is actually the best ME game to me, the most free flowing and experimental sandbox of all. Which other ME game allows you to be just a melee badass without the need of a gun entirely, even in boss battles (and on max difficulty)?

Mass Effect: Andromeda, without doubt. Sure it didn't have a better story or delivery than the original trilogy, but it was a solid game. I jumped on board after everything was patched though as I only buy games in the sales. £20's the most I'll spend on em.

Sea of Thieves is another. People moan about the lack of content, but that's kinda the point I reckon. It's like when you were a kid playing outside with next to nothing. The game gives just enough for you to stimulate your imagination, and the water looks beautiful. Also it gets tense as fuck when you spot another ship rolling on the horizon.

Last I'll pick Splinter Cell: Blacklist, though it was more divisive than hated. I defo missed Ironside but it was fine without him. My only criticisms are the now dead servers, the unfixed bugs in multiplayer, and the fact it was written like one of those by-the-numbers cancelled-after-two-seasons TV shows.

Silent Hill 4: The Room is a goddamn psychological horror masterpiece! It's quite possibly the scariest game in the series and I go back and forth between it and Silent Hill 2 as my favourite. I'm always saddened when I hear that people didn't enjoy the game, not because of legitimate reasons (e.g. backtracking, item management, different setting), but because very early on in development it was briefly considered to be a separate IP and therefore the final product sucks based on this one detail alone. :mad: Do people forget that all games go through changes during development? Oh my God, I'm ranting. I'll stop here.

BLiNX: The Time Sweeper. It gets derided as having a poor camera and dodgy aiming (both true), as well as being too difficult (subjective), but I think it's one of the best games ever made. The collect/shoot trash mechanic is more involved than typical ammo collection in a third-person shooter, the platforming challenges mix things up nicely, and the time controls - the main four (FF is a bit shit really) can be used in most situations interchangably, so when you're running low on one particular time control you're rarely trapped, you merely have to think more creatively. And you're expected to go back into previously completed levels to grind for time controls and money - every person I see complaining about the game's difficulty doesn't do this, and so it's no wonder they find it difficult.

Sonic Unleashed. People reject it on the basis of "LOL WEREHOG". I have more fun blasting through the day stages in Unleashed than I do in virtually any other game. It's more of a racing game than a platformer, but it works in its favour, and I'm somewhat disappointed that later games in this style have tried to shoehorn platforming in - just let it flow, it's far superior that way.

Bare Knuckle III. A lot of people only experienced the "localised" (read: bastardised) version of Streets of Rage 3, where enemies are given far too much health and a few other mechanics are broken, making fights last much longer than they should. But the original Japanese version is a clearly polished improvement on its predecessors; faster, more (unlockable) playable characters, more moves, more enemy types, and tons of secrets stashed away too.

Already mentioned... Fable (series). That said, considering how successful the franchise has been for Xbox it's arguable whether or not it should even even be on this list, but anyway. :D I got instantly hooked on this game, when I saw the first "bullshot" back in 2002.

Seeing that screenshot took me back to my childhood like nothing has before or since when it comes to games. I had few old Grimm fairy tale books (especially Puss in Boots, well it's not Grimm, but close) that really seemed to resemble the style Fable was going for, as far as I can remember. Of course I could be projecting but who knows.

Then came the things the devs wanted to do with the thing...

EDIT: Also... RIP Lionhead / BigBlueBox!

Already mentioned... Fable (series). That said, considering how successful the franchise has been for Xbox it's arguable whether or not it should even even be on this list, but anyway. :D I got instantly hooked on this game, when I saw the first "bullshot" back in 2002.

Seeing that screenshot took me back to my childhood like nothing has before or since when it comes to games. I had few old Grimm fairy tale books (especially Puss in Boots, well it's not Grimm, but close) that really seemed to resemble the style Fable was going for, as far as I can remember. Of course I could be projecting but who knows.

Then came the things the devs wanted to do with the thing...

EDIT: Also... RIP Lionhead / BigBlueBox!
Fable 4 has been rumored,I hope it is true.

Silent Hill 4: The Room is a goddamn psychological horror masterpiece! It's quite possibly the scariest game in the series and I go back and forth between it and Silent Hill 2 as my favourite. I'm always saddened when I hear that people didn't enjoy the game, not because of legitimate reasons (e.g. backtracking, item management, different setting), but because very early on in development it was briefly considered to be a separate IP and therefore the final product sucks based on this one detail alone. :mad: Do people forget that all games go through changes during development? Oh my God, I'm ranting. I'll stop here.
I do remember some people being negative about it, but over the years I think the general attitude toward the game has changed drastically. Any time I hear someone mention Silent Hill 4 now, it's usually in appreciation for it.
Which is nice, because I'm right there with ya; I go back and forth as to whether I like 2 or 4 best.

Fable 4 has been rumored,I hope it is true.

Yeah, indeed, and I hope that as well. That said, with the original team not there, especially its creators (shouting in the air: say what you will about games being made by teams, I believe it's usually a handful of people that make the thing tick) I fear that something will be lost (outside of things that people say have already been). On the other hand, this could of course also be a good thing. o_O

Yeah, indeed, and I hope that as well. That said, with the original team not there, especially its creators (shouting in the air: say what you will about games being made by teams, I believe it's usually a handful of people that make the thing tick) I fear that something will be lost (outside of things that people say have already been). On the other hand, this could of course also be a good thing. o_O
I've heard a lot of them have been hired back.

Sonic Unleashed. People reject it on the basis of "LOL WEREHOG". I have more fun blasting through the day stages in Unleashed than I do in virtually any other game. It's more of a racing game than a platformer, but it works in its favour, and I'm somewhat disappointed that later games in this style have tried to shoehorn platforming in - just let it flow, it's far superior that way.

Bare Knuckle III. A lot of people only experienced the "localised" (read: bastardised) version of Streets of Rage 3, where enemies are given far too much health and a few other mechanics are broken, making fights last much longer than they should. But the original Japanese version is a clearly polished improvement on its predecessors; faster, more (unlockable) playable characters, more moves, more enemy types, and tons of secrets stashed away too.
Couldn't agree more on both counts. I didn't play Unleashed until last year (after 06 I took a long sabatical from the series) and I was suprised to find that I actually enjoyed the Werehog stages quite a bit. I assume the people who don't like them either think they're out of place in a Sonic game (fair enough) or just spam the same attacks without bothering to experiment a bit and discovering that there's more depth to the combat than you'd think. And of course the Sonic stages are absolutely great. Just exhilarating in a way that very few games are.

As for Bare Knuckle III, it's the best in the series. The ability for all characters to dash and roll (in the second game only Skate could) means that it's a much more dynamic and rewarding game, might be my favourite scrolling beat em up ever, actually. The music isn't half as good as the first two though.

For me, it'd be games like Hotel Mario on CDi (it was actually a decent, challenging puzzle platformer with those hilariously bad cutscenes adding to the experience).

5a5c6c2dae653a0c7d25eb84

For a more elaborate answer it would be Resident Evil 0, which seems to always get hated on by the fanbase for some reason. Yes, the inventory system got a bit annoying at times (that hookshot taking up two slots was bad design, no doubt) but you work around it just like in other Resident Evil games and frankly, just seeing the same complaints lodged against it constantly doesn't change my mind. I think the game is good. Very good actually, the visuals on this game are amazing. The Art Direction is honestly on point and I really liked both Rebecca and Billy as the protagonists. This was the last "classic" Resident Evil game, I really took my time before getting to it, it wasn't until it came out in "HD" on PS4/Xbox One/PC etc that I actually played it for the first time. Was the plot silly? Yes, just like the vast majority of Resi Evil plots are, so what? The game had atmosphere, it had tension, it had that classic RE feel and was a good Resident Evil game. Haters can carry on hating, I'll just enjoy the game.

Which brings me to one of my favourite games on the PS2 and one of the best RPG games I've had the pleasure of playing that gets hated on a lot too:

220px-Breath_of_Fire_-_Dragon_Quarter_Coverart.png

Breath of Fire fans seem to harp on this game a lot. It wasn't BoF to them, as in, it wasn't a traditional RPG experience. It tried to be daring and try new things, tried to be more strategic and action based (so a hybrid system that might remind some people of the likes of Vagrant Story or Parasite Eve - an action based system where you move your character, select your action and make a move continually until the enemy's turn). This is a hard game. In fact, it's up there with Atlus's RPGs for some of the hardest PS2 RPGs. The game actually in a way wants you to die, since more of the story becomes revealed and the layers peeled back when you continue through the game from the beginning (yes, that's right, you die, it's game over, no continues in the EU release at all!) It does not your hold your hand. It's also the one and only time I've seen Capcom make a game like this one. Personally, I think it's a masterpiece (especially in terms of atmosphere, I think it might be Hitoshi Sakimoto's best soundtrack, even beating the likes of Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics, sounds very industrial and dark) but people hate for being so different; often treating like the black sheep of the series and yet...it's the one I like by far the most (3 was decent, 4 is a good game, never played 1 and 2). It's one of the PS2's best hidden gems, don't listen to those BoF fans, they don't know what they are talking about. The fanbase for this game is microscopic, shame more people didn't give it a chance.

Mass Effect: Andromeda, without doubt. Sure it didn't have a better story or delivery than the original trilogy, but it was a solid game. I jumped on board after everything was patched though as I only buy games in the sales. £20's the most I'll spend on em.

Funny you should mention that, playing the game at the moment since it was on PSN sale and it's surprisingly good. All that shit getting flung at it, I mean yeah the animations were hilarious and the game definitely has its flaws (the story is definitely lacking and a bit been there done that, as are some of the party members, I do like the Krogan and the two pilots though) but it's still a solid Action RPG regardless. Is it up to the original trilogy? No, still an enjoyable game in its own right though. It actually inspired me to go back to the first game again and start over, reminding me how much I enjoyed the series in the first place.

Those three are my favourite characters n'all. Thought it seems difficult to think of a krogan that isn't likeable in some way. That poet from the OT was fucking hilarious.

^^I think enough evidence abounds that not everyone hates it.
I'd say most people either love it or feel indifferent to it, actually. More indifference than love, granted, but all the same, it's not generally hated by any stretch.

Last edited:
Have had Silent Hill Restless Dreams sitting in my backlog for years. The Room always looked bad ass to me since i saw it announced in Game Informer back then. Never played a Silent HIll, wasa pretty hardcore Resident Evil fan, esp CV on beloved Dreamcast. Need to grab SH4 for XBOX. As a casual very belated fan, i think i'll skip 1 and 3.

Somewhat reminiscent; I really like Siren, even though didn't ever beat it. Really wanna grab the PS3 version so bad, but i've never seen it in the wild; barely the PS2 version either. Might need to succumb to ebay on that one... Despite hating Sony until late half of PS3s life, PS2 had such sheer number of games tehre were plenty of quality hidden there. MGS, ICO series, Siren... plenty others i'm omitting atm.

As for Bare Knuckle III, it's the best in the series. The ability for all characters to dash and roll (in the second game only Skate could) means that it's a much more dynamic and rewarding game, might be my favourite scrolling beat em up ever, actually. The music isn't half as good as the first two though.

Great call on Streets of Rage 3, though I feel it was more of a case of the entire brawling genre dying by the time it arrived rather than hate. But I got to admit that soundtrack was way too experimental even for Koshiro. It's my favorite of the series as well, with SF like movesets (before Capcom did it away with Aliens Vs Predator and D&D), secret different routes and just more variety in stage design. That bomb disarming stage was tense.

Back