Games You Like But Everone Else Hates.

Jigen

Man Mo Journeyman
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Persona 5
Fable and Fable II

I don't know why but they just worked for me, especially the second game with it's mechanics involving managing property and businesses and starting families. Also, it is ridiculously fun to be a bad character in Fable II.

^ I thought Fable 2 was a lovely game. It was one of the first xbox 360 games that I owned, so some very fond memories there.
Unfortunately....Fable 3....seems to have been rushed. Some good ideas in there, but it felt like half the game was missing.

I like Metroid: Other M. Yeah you read that right.

I genuinely liked the Fable series :)

My choice for the topic is easy - The Bouncer for PlayStation 2:
buoucner2.JPGI've heard the internet bash this game so hard over the years but I have nothing but admiration for it. I've always wanted a bigger market for 3D Streets of Rage type games and not many games out there have fulfilled that task - Another worthy mention would be R*'s The Warriors! But the Bouncer achieved it and delivered a gaming experience I find myself going back to very often.

You play as Sion a Bar Bouncer who has his companion kidnapped what turns out as a simple rescue missions expands into something much more with an engaging party of characters and compelling story. The game itself is short 3-4 hours but it demands more than one playthrough each encounter in the game happens almost like levels and before the encounter you choose whom you want to pick for the fight. What's special is that in doing so you see the scenario from that characters perspective, each character having their own insight to events which makes the whole picture more appealing - The one sad thing about this sturcture is that it does lose out on a potential Co-op campaign.
bouncer3.jpgIt's just a blast to play, after each encounter you gain EXP which you can upgrade stats or learn new attacks - You won't get everything in a single playthrough either. The combat is fun, I admit the AI can be a bit simple but the diversity in encounters works well enough. It's one of the first early PS2 titles which had a high level of production value to it and should still be appealing to newcomers now.

It's cheap and something you can complete within a sitting and feel content with and I highly recommend checking out.

Knack for PS4. It was the first thing I played on the system and I thought it was a great little game. I won't deny that it had its flaws and it definitely wasn't a 'next-gen' experience, but for what it was I really don't think it deserved all of the hate it got.

Sonic R. It's amazing once you get the hang of the controls, I swear. Don't think of your character as an actual character like in a platform game, think of them as a car. Use the A button to accelerate, not the analogue stick, and be sure to use the shoulder buttons to get around corners. Excellent game if you give it a chance.

I could probably list a lot of Sonic games here, as I was a pretty damn blind fan for a long time and still have a bit of a soft spot for the blue guy.
As mentioned elsewhere I initially got a lot of enjoyment out of Sonic 06 but then other peoples opinions rushed over me and I realized more and more where the problems were. I haven't really played it since fully completing, so this is a strange situation.

To add to the above, I was thinking of putting Sonic R in aswell but it initially got pretty decent reviews and only later became the source of ridicule for... I don't know what.

Sonic Forces is a more recent and much better example. I quite enjoyed it and the opinions didn't change my pov. It is not among the top games, as it is too short and simple, but the average score it gets is seriously too low.

I also really like the Tokyo Highway Challenge / Xtreme Racer series of games, ever since I picked the first one up on the Dreamcast out of pure curiosity. Kept buying them as the second one came out, then on the PS2 and then on the 360. I really liked all of them. These tend to get pretty bad reviews all around. They are very much niche games as I understand though there has to be some following in Japan. Otherwise they wouldn't have made so many of them.

Ace Attorney Apollo Justice
I think people dislike this game for the same shallow reason people dont like Metal Gear Solid 2: you play as a different character. That's literally it. They either didn't play more than the first few minutes because they were immediately put off, or they just were predisposed to hate the entire thing because they weren't playing as their precious other character.

Truth of the matter is Apollo Justice has some of the most interesting cases in the series, the filler chapter is actually funny and not a chore, the sprite art is some of the most fluid and impressive I've ever seen, and the music is bangin

Omikron Nomad Soul. Great little Shenmue-esque game from a green David Cage with a bit of David Bowie collaboration. Great story, great gfx for time and to me personally, fun gameplay with decent variety. Overall a cool game with interesting concepts.

I liked Virtual Hydlide for Saturn, not realy a good Game and got the worst Ratings for Saturn Games ever, but I think it isn't so Bad, more so mediocre.

I loved Harvest Moon: A wonderful life for the GameCube! ❤️ Also, Hotel Dusk for DS. Need to think about this little more I think ?

I also confer with Sonic 06 and R! R is just amazing, and agree with Kid Marine, once you click with it, it's super fun! 06 I just really enjoyed when it came out, and the loading screens never used to bother me...I also never really experienced half the amount of bugs everyone else seems to joke about, it's a pretty solid game...like Forces aswell to agree with Blue...I think people are just too quick to jump on 3D Sonic games with negativity. Forces soundtrack is wonderful aswell! On the other hand, one of the Sonic games that everyone seems to love but I hate is Heroes lol, seriously felt like a massive step backwards after Adventure 2. The controls felt very janky, I didn't enjoy the forced character switching, and the game just came across as extremely annoying. One more Sonic game to mention that I love that everyone else seems to hate is Sonic Shuffle. Apart from the computer blatantly cheating at times, it's a really fun party game, if you give it a proper chance, and attempt to atleast learn how to play!

A random game to add here, everyone seems to hate it and poke fun at it, but Pen Pen on Dreamcast, so much fun, i'd put it in my top 10 DC games just because everyone else underappreciated it, and I think it deserves better :)

30956-ingame-PenPen-TriIcelon.png

Struggling to think of games. Most people think Counter Strike: Condition Zero is the worst in the series, but it's probably the one I've spent the most time on. Love it.

i don't know if it really counts because its already some kind of "insider tip"
but i really really like Deadly Premonition. i know, the performance and the graphics are horrible,
it looks like a game that came out between PS2 and PS3 era and it still suffers from framerate problems and so on
but for me its kind of the same thing as with Shenmue now -

i can get used to "bad" graphics in 20 - 40 minutes and then i dont care anymore how it looks.
if it has interesting characters and a interesting story, its good enough for me.

and Deadly Premonition has both things. the characters are super weird but also really funny, scary, charming ...
its like a TV characters best of.
and the story is pretty pretty dark with some really surprising and hard scenes. its not the typical "just the good guys win" story.
the start is pretty slow but the theme gets darker and darker as you progress.
also there are sidemissions and a lot of hidden things to discover in the open world.
if you are playing it with a 100% guide, you can spend between 18 and 25 hours in this game.

the only really annoying thing are the third person shooter passages
which were only added because the investors thought that the west wouldnt like it if there is no shooter mechanic ...
(its a Japanese game)

so you just have to rush through and ignore these passages.
if you like things like Alan Wake or the TV show Twin Peaks, or dark thrilling mystery stories in general you should totally play it.
its one of those games that you cant compare to anything else and thats a good thing if you ask me.

but again - just a warning - the game looks rough.
(do not be frightened)

Valkyria Revolution. I simply didn't choose to hate it because it wasn't Valkyria Chronicles 4 like most seemed to, and I trusted SEGA when they said they were two separate games, with Revolution not replacing anything to do with the Chronicles branch of games.

Watch_Dogs
w1qq68.jpg

I sorta/kinda/vaguely get why it got trashed on release; no doubt that it had a variety of glitches (it is Ubisoft), and apparently a lot of people were expecting some kind of life-changing experience because "weeee, look how next-gen it looks!" Or maybe they thought the hacking would be a little more involved or something. I dunno.
So I kinda get it. I get why there may have been some level of letdown, to some extent (though most of the hate seems to go beyond letdown, into territory of people claiming it's one of the worst games ever; the hate gets downright malicious in some cases).

But I had no expectations whatsoever. I was indifferent to it when it was first announced. Didn't care at all. I dismissed it as just some new shooter that people were going gaga over just because of pretty graphics. So I didn't play the damn thing until over a year after it released.
And even then, my interest barely had anything to do with the game at all; it was more so because I'd heard that it may actually take place in the Assassin's Creed universe, and I was a big AC fan at the time. So like I said, I walked into the game with almost literally no expectations. I was just checking it out. Shits and giggles.
And when I walked away from it, I was fucking wowed.
Being that I played it so long after release, glitches were a non-issue; they'd almost entirely been patched out by that point. And I didn't really care whether the graphics were amazing or not.
I don't know what game others were playing, but I can confidently say that I've experienced some of the most fun, interesting, and exciting gunfights I've ever had the pleasure of going through during my multiple playthroughs of the game. Same goes for the car chases (which I usually can't stand in other open-world games). The hacking gameplay elements give everything this crazy wish-fulfilment sense of joy, where you have toys and tricks that no one else has. They certainly don't make you invincible, but they do make you feel like an absolute badass if you use them properly.

Likewise, the action shifts seamlessly between shooting and stealth, giving you ample opportunity to evade the enemy's view, sneak around behind them, and take them by surprise, over and over, all in the midst of flying bullets and explosions. Insanely fun for me, and I still haven't played anything else that does it so well.
There's a lot more to it, but bottom line, this isn't just a game that I like that everyone seems to hate... this is one of my favorite games ever. Which everyone else seems to hate.
The sequel was okay, but it lacked a lot of what I loved so dearly in the first. Context is very important to me, and WD2's main cast just don't seem like the type to get as violent as the game requires you to be. Likewise, the colorful, ultramodern San Francisco setting almost entirely betrays the dark, proto-cyberpunk vibe the first game had. And I don't really remember enjoying the shooting much; they made the protagonist much more delicate, I suppose to inspire more stealth-focus.

So yeah, the sequel is fine, but the original was so much better.
And everyone hates it.
Bah.

Omikron Nomad Soul. Great little Shenmue-esque game from a green David Cage with a bit of David Bowie collaboration. Great story, great gfx for time and to me personally, fun gameplay with decent variety. Overall a cool game with interesting concepts.
I remember playing Omikron back when it was released on PC. Good times. On my Voodoo 3.

Mine was on Dreamcast. Love it. Actually gonna replay it soon after I'm done with Shenmue 2 at the moment.

Destiny 2: I've played it since launch and have loved it the whole time. End game content was lacking, but moment to moment gameplay is phenomenal. A lot of the criticisms against it are valid, but a lot more are blown very heavily out of preportion. Can't wait for Forsaken; Uldren will pay!

Mass Effect Andromeda: Facial animations weren't great, and some of the voice acting leaves something to be desired. Other than those two things I've had an absolute blast with this game. I really don't think it deserves anywhere near the vehement hatred it got when it was released.

Back