Game Informer: 64 Rapid-Fire Questions With Shenmue III's Yu Suzuki

Can't wait to finally meet the hotel manager. He's alluded to her quite a few other times.

It's cool that he's interested in doing another fighting game, and interesting that he couldn't bring himself to flat out deny Shenmue and VF share the same universe. I still really like the idea of Ryo growing up to become Akira, personally... Even though they very clearly don't share the same name...

Learning the meaning of Berkley in "Project Berkley" was also pretty interesting. I'm kind of surprised that pressing him on that subject actually bore fruit, I was totally willing to accept the idea that it was just a random word chosen based on his first response. I also think he was serious about the Tom reappearance.

15 minute intro / recap video in S3, pretty cool. Do you think we will see original Dreamcast footage
or is it all remade in the new engine? That would mean they remade all of the old characters?
Or ist it just a narrator or text with old screenshots in the background?

There are so many ways they could approach it... it could be done with illustrations and narration, or some kind of stylized animation that wouldn't require as much detail (silhouettes, for example)... but yeah, 15 minutes sounds pretty substantial for a recap.

There are so many ways they could approach it... it could be done with illustrations and narration, or some kind of stylized animation that wouldn't require as much detail (silhouettes, for example)... but yeah, 15 minutes sounds pretty substantial for a recap.

I guess silhoulettes could be a problem for completely new players because they will probably think
what were these 15 minutes about if its a fan only thing. I dont know Yu's mindset,
does he want to show the old games at all, is it okay for him to show old game footage fullscreen in this new game
or does he he clearly want to show that Shenmue 3 is the next real thing on its own?
Yeah, there are a lot of possibilites. I mean we know that they remade parts of the S2 ending,
maybe they did even more? I would fall off my chair if the game starts with remade footage of S1 in the new engine.

He definitely wasn't joking.

He is probably just referring to the phone calls

Yeah it will be this.

Unless...

Ryo: Tell me what you know about my father Niao Sun.

Niao Sun: Oh, Ryo... such ignorance from being blinded by vengeance. Didn't you notice that the Chi You Men was watching you this whole time... *disturbed laughter*

*giant door opens from behind Niao Sun*

"Heeey, Ryo" "How's it going, man"

Ryo: Tom?!

Tom: That's right, man. Remember how I said I had never seen such a cold stare, man? I lied, man. Because I see it every time I look in the mirror, man.

Ryo: You mean?!

Tom: I am the leader of the West in the Chi You Men, man.

Ryo: Is that so?

Tom: Who do you think drove that black car to the harbor on the day the snow turned to rain, man?

Ryo: I see...

They also talk about Shenmue 3, the interview and the trip here. It's cool to see a discussion without internet hyperbole, some respect for Yu and they seem to get what the series tries to achieve.

Back