Food System ~ Analysis

ShenhuaFood.jpg

Shenmue III added many things to the Shenmue experience, one of the things is the stamina system, or how
i like to call, the Food System.

Some people enjoy the food system and think it is a nice addition, other people think the food system
is bad and should be removed it for Shenmue IV.

I’m playing Shenmue III now and now i understand even more the food system, with my strategy i don’t have
any problems with the Food System.

Some people just buy Black Garlic and continue this way till the end
of the game, but it is important to notice that Black Garlic is not even the best food in the game, a lot
of foods are better than the Black Garlic, and other foods are the same as the Black Garlic, this are a few examples
about this.

Foods.jpg Foods 2.jpg

Now i will say my strategy for the Food System.

After you gain control of Ryo in a free way go to Tao’s Store and work chopping wood, work a lot till you have
a good amount of money, also is important to pick herbs, selling herbs to Tao is a nice way to earn money
in the game. Fishing is another good way to earn money in the game, but fishing is not availabe at the beginning of
the game.

1657066461736.png

Once you feel you have a good amount of money, go to the self-service Veggies and buy many quantities of the foods there,
like more than 10 of each food, also go to the Tao-Get Store and buy more food there, this way when you need to fill your HP
you will not have to worry a lot about buying food all the time.

In Tao-Get Store 2 foods are better than the Black Garlic so i buy these
food as well. Caterpillar Fungus +900HP and costing in the range of ¥27-¥35, and Rock Tripe +600HP
costing in the range of ¥18-¥22. So many ways to play the game and i love that.

1657461135040.png1657461146190.png

In Shenhua’s house you can pick one apple and one banana everday, and in the Niaowu Hotel you can pick apples
everyday, i recommend players to pick the banana and apples, is another way to have many foods in the game.

1657461176229.png

Another important thing is to earn money everyday and buy foods, earning money in Shenmue III is really
easy in my opinion, easy and with lots of options to choose about how to earn money.

There are lots of cheaper foods in the game so you can buy many quantities if you want, this way you will
always have many different types of foods, when you need to fill your HP you can use many types of different
foods, so if you do this you will always have plenty of foods, and the food system will not worry you in the
game, this way you will always have foods.

IMG_5209.jpg

Sure you can buy and use black garlic if you want, but many foods are better than the black garlic, and
other foods fill the HP in the same way as the Black Garlic, with +300HP, many foods are like this, so is
up to the player about how they want to experience the game.

I recommed the same strategy in Niaowu, buy lots of different types of foods, some foods are really
cheap so you will not need a lot of money, and this way you will always have many foods.

I want to experience everything that the game has to offer so i buy many types of different foods, and some
foods are so cheap that i buy many of them, this way i know i will always have foods, this way i don’t have
problems with the food system, this way the game is so much more enjoyable and fun in my opinion.

Final Thoughts

NIKUMAN.jpg

The thing about black garlic in my opinion is not a design fault, is up to the player to choose how they
want to play the game, if the player wants to choose to buy just black garlic then that's their choice,
i'm not doing that so i'm having a different experience with the game.

To end my post here is a link where you can see the full list of the foods in the game, and how much HP we
gain with each food.

https://shenmue.neoseeker.com/wiki/Food

Some people prefer just to buy black garlic, other people like me wants to experience all that the game has
to offer, so i buy many types of different foods, and lots of foods are better than the Black Garlic.

People are different from each other so people play in different ways. If you want open the link, see all
the foods in the game and try to do the strategy that suits your playstyle. 😊

I hope the food system return for Shenmue IV even better, maybe even with a option to turn on and off for
people that don't like the food system.

I love the food system, it is a good system and training is important in this game because of that as well, i love that,
and in my opinion it is really nice to have lots of types of different foods and drinks in the game.

You like the food system or not? how do you prefer to play in relation to the food system? tell your thoughts in the
comments below.

Thank you all for reading, and remember to keep friends... those you love... close to you, see you all
in my next blog post, bye bye.

EJr_goeWwAAWilP.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for this. The reason I buy black garlic and not other items though is because it gives you the most HP for the money. It would be helpful to have a guide of all food items in the game with HP and the cost, which is how we can choose what foods are the most cost efficient. In addition, I may be wrong, but I feel like the price of foods in certain stores during the course of the game changes, even at the same store. This is why we need an official game guide (available non-digitally please) that goes into these details.

Thanks for this. The reason I buy black garlic and not other items though is because it gives you the most HP for the money. It would be helpful to have a guide of all food items in the game with HP and the cost, which is how we can choose what foods are the most cost efficient. In addition, I may be wrong, but I feel like the price of foods in certain stores during the course of the game changes, even at the same store. This is why we need an official game guide (available non-digitally please) that goes into these details.

You're Welcome. 😊 I understand why people love to buy black garlic, it has a good price and fill +300HP, but if you look at the link i posted you will see that many other foods fill +300HP as well, and these foods have a good price as well.

For example the Energy Drink W is the same as the Black Garlic, +300HP, costing in the range of ¥10-¥11

1657072253738.png

Other foods like Fried Shaomai have a good price and are better than the Black Garlic, costing in the range of ¥11-¥14.

1657072479769.png

I prefer to play this way, seeing everything that the game has to offer.

Maybe one day i will do a guide here for all the foods, thanks for the comment.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the food/stamina system. It felt out of place. I would've like to seen it more geared toward combat and training more so than just running and walking around. If the food/stamina system comes back for Shenmue 4 I hope its implemented better instead of being a gameplay nuisance.

Back