Final Showdown .vs. Ultimate Showdown

Favourite title
Shenmue
I'd like to get everyone's side by side thoughts and first impressions on these two versions of the game. My first impression after spending only one evening playing Ultimate Showdown: Final Showdown is far better overall.

I actually regret purchasing Ultimate for $30 rather than just getting it through PS Plus or Now. Here are some pros & cons for Ultimate upon first impression as well as some preferences between the two. I feel like releasing this to PS Plus/Now is the right step for Sega to generate some interest, but this game won't hold interest of the majority of customers after the summer is over. People still playing Tekken 7 years later and even MK 11, but DOA 6 online died quickly and people went back to DOA 5 shortly after, and DOA is a bigger franchise than VF (and DOA 6 is definitely better than Ultimate Showdown), so I don't suspect this is going to take off for the long term, but at least with it being free for subscribers hopefully Sega can generate interest in demand for Virtua Fighter 6. I am playing this on PlayStation 5 for reference. Ultimate Showdown feels really dated, even more than Final Showdown. There's something crisp and fresh about Final that Ultimate doesn't offer, with the exception to some graphical upgrades and adding the music from all previous titles, there isn't much reason to upgrade...other than it's free. And if you're like me and can't stand the PlayStation d-pad and you have Final on Xbox, stick with that.

I am curious, how do you PlayStation users tolerate the d-pad on the Dualsense (or even worse the older Dualshocks) when playing fighting games? Absolute worst part of this experience was having to play it on the Dualsense controller with the separated sticky janky Sony d-pad. A brutal deal breaker in most cases for me. The best feature (and really the only good one) about the PS5 dualsense is the haptic feedback, and this game doesn't even have rumble features.

Ultimate PROS:

-Better graphics...technically?? (worse character models and faces than Final). The graphics aren't as impressive as they came across on the youtube videos.

-The music from all previous titles is a great addition and I love it! I enjoyed listening to Sarah's VF2 music again with the modern graphics

-Aoi's level is beautiful and better than Final

-Lei Fei's level is nicer than Final

-Kage's level is beautiful and I'm not sure if it's better than Final, but it has a different feel and I enjoy them both

-The 1990's retro graphics are cool...sorta (see CONS)

-Hopefully it will generate enough interest in the general public to bring about a VF6, but that is doubtful unless the online sustains for the long haul. If Tekken, DOA or even Street Fighter release another title within the next year, there's no way people will keep going back to this

-It's FREE!!...sorta.

Ultimate CONS:

-Having to play it on the PS5. Even if it comes to Xbox at some point, that'll only fix the d-pad issue, but the other issues would still stand.

-The character models and faces are worse than Final Showdown. Better graphics are a big deal for me, but not when the characters look worse overall.

-From a moves stand point, Akira is still the worst character in the game. I forgot about how unplayable Akira really is with his move set. From a character personality stand point Akira is also really weak which is sad because the lead character of most of the other fighting franchises are some of the strongest characters in those franchises, but Akira needs a lot of work with personality, visually and especially when it comes to moves. Liu Kang, Kasumi, Jin Kazama, Ryu and others are much stronger as lead characters for their franchises. VF in general feels like it lacking in that department with strong lead characters, especially the one the franchise is based around. I can see visually how Akira evolved into Ryo Hazuki, but I don't see the connection otherwise. Ryo may be stoic and dry in his personality, but he doesn't lack charisma like Akira.

-Dural still has a terrible visual character design, although the general concept is cool.

-Dural's level is different and worse than Final Showdown.

-The 1990's retro graphics are cool, except that you cannot set the entire game to look that way. There's only one retro level and even your opponents can't be put in retro mode. This defeats the purpose and takes the enjoyment down a few notches on this feature.

-The character creation suite isn't very good, and is far worse than the one on Final Showdown, which isn't exactly the most amazing but FS has a lot more features added than US does. Why didn't they just bring the FS creation suite over?

-After a few hours of playing it, I don't feel any craving to keep playing it. Whereas with Final Showdown I kept coming back for more over the last month.

-Overall, Ultimate feels like a free game you'd expect on Game Pass/PS Plus. I understand this is a refresh of a game from 15 years ago, but somehow it *feels* stale compared to the game it's supposed to be refreshing. This has nothing to do with my opinion on the PS5 controller either, or the fact that the graphics are overall better on Ultimate, there's just something that doesn't feel like this is the 'Ultimate' version of VF5, rather Final Showdown feels like the ultimate. Perhaps they should have skipped this and went on to Virtua Fighter 6.

Ultimate Showdown itself isn't bad, but it doesn't do much to incentivize players to switch from Final Showdown, unless they're looking for a hot online community for the next few months until players find themselves returning to Tekken 7. I enjoyed recently reconnecting with Final Showdown a lot in this last month, but after playing Ultimate Showdown for the first evening, I'm quickly reminded why I prefer Dead or Alive and even Tekken over Virtua Fighter in most cases as a whole: they never feel stale, underwhelming, awkward and outdated.

I'm going to spend a few more days with Ultimate Showdown until Ninja Gaiden comes out to give it a further look and see if my feelings or thoughts change beyond the first evening and first impressions. If not, I can't imagine I'll be playing much more of it going forward after the first week or two, but I will continue to visit Final Showdown when I need my Virtua Fighter fix, or just play DOA 5 since my favorite VF characters are in that game. If you're on PlayStation and you haven't bought this already, save yourself $30 and just get it free with the game pass subscription, or if you're on Xbox spend $15 and pick up Final Showdown.

What is your first impressions and experiences??

Last edited:
Ultimate Showdown for me any day of the week. It is like Virtua Fighter Remix: same gameplay better looking graphics (and I am 200% into photorealism when is Virtua Fighter, basic VF5 was cutting edge but models are not that impresive anymore). I agree that Retro style should have a better integration, somekind of VF10th mode.

I’m psyched I can play VF5 on the PS4 and I’m glad Sega is giving this important franchise a second wind, while doing it in the least risky way possible. Here’s hoping VF6 fixes all your complaints.

It does seem like it’s a work in progress so feedback is important.

Last edited:
I’m psyched I can play VF5 on the PS4 and I’m glad Sega is giving this important franchise a second wind, while doing it in the least risky way possible. Here’s hoping VF6 fixes all your complaints.

It does seem like it’s a work in progress so feedback is important.
I find Ultimate to be an overall good thing as its still a decent game and it puts VF back in some light for fans and newbies alike. I wont assume that if a VF6 came out it would look anything like 5, they tend to evolve each titles style every time so I'd love to see something completely fresh and quite honestly a full on reboot. Its been too long of a gap that most people never even heard of VF so if they rebooted the franchise and added some depth to the characters with a meaty story mode a new VF would be a real contender like it was in the 90s. Its 2021 and the current gen consoles have so much power(even the last gen ones from 2013 are great) so there's no reason to not focus on story and character development above all else. The fighting mechanics in VF are already mostly solid with a few exceptions like Akira, but if they want it to feel relevant going forward and to be able to compete with Tekken or DOA in sales, changes need to happen. Ultimate Showdown is a great send off as a legacy edition of the first 5 titles, a nice way to send off the franchise into the sun set before a hard reboot. After playing a second day I still find myself returning to FS. Perhaps if I decide to jump into online play I might warm up to US a bit more.

If Sega were smart they'd already be working on a VF reboot while giving this one away with PS Plus. I wouldn't wait to try and compete with Tekken 8 or Tag 3 as they have the hype and consistentcy on their side to crush this franchise sadly.

I just remembered that VF4 had a full on VF1 retro mode with the modern move sets that far surpasses Ultimate Showdowns version, this was done 20 years ago already. I also decided to go into the settings on Final Showdown and see what was in there, it also offers all of the soundtracks for previous VF titles, so that's not even a new feature on Ultimate like I was thinking it was. Even less reason to upgrade if you already have FS or VF4. FS looks great on the Xbox Series(it looks good on XB1 too) and if you're on PS5/PS4 you can play FS through the PS Now network rather than having to go back to PS3.

I just remembered that VF4 had a full on VF1 retro mode with the modern move sets that far surpasses Ultimate Showdowns version, this was done 20 years ago already. I also decided to go into the settings on Final Showdown and see what was in there, it also offers all of the soundtracks for previous VF titles, so that's not even a new feature on Ultimate like I was thinking it was. Even less reason to upgrade if you already have FS or VF4. FS looks great on the Xbox Series(it looks good on XB1 too) and if you're on PS5/PS4 you can play FS through the PS Now network rather than having to go back to PS3.
However, the music option is actually better on US, there’s a lot more tracks which surprised me! Basically every character has a unique track no matter what game you put for the music- so if the music is set to a game that a character didn’t appear in, it still uses music from elsewhere in that game, or other games- in VF1 and VF2’s case the Saturn remixes are used, VF3 makes use of the ‘alternate’ tracks for the Dural versions of the stages, and VF4/Evo appears to use some music from either unused tracks, or some of it appears to be from Virtua Quest! So the music selection is definitely a step above what was offered in FS, which didn’t even include all of the VF4 Evo tracks (it only had them for newer characters IIRC)
For example, on Shun’s stage, if it’s set to VF1 music, you get the Saturn remix of Pai’s theme, due to him not being in that game (the original arcade version of VF1 Pai is heard in her stage)

Last edited:
Back