Favorite Gaming Consoles from Each Generation

Favourite title
Shenmue
I am curious to see what is your favorite gaming console from each generation, and why???

GEN 1: N/A

GEN 2: None. I wasn't a fan of this era at all, perhaps it was because it was right before the era I grew up with and the games had no depth due to technical limitations of that era.

GEN 3: Nintendo Entertainment System. Lots of fun games and many hidden gems. For every overrated title like Contra, there is an even better hidden gem like P.O.W. DISTANT RUNNER UP: Sega Master System.

GEN 4: Sega Genesis. Far superior to the consoles of the gen before with a huge game library, best controller of the generation and Mortal Kombat with blood! DISTANT RUNNER UP: Super Nintendo.

GEN 5: Nintendo 64. Best graphics, game library and controller of the gen. RUNNER UP: Sony PlayStation 1. This was tough because I was going to pick the Sega Saturn with the better first year library, graphics and controller than PS1 but then the Saturn died off quickly leaving PS1 to set up the Sony legacy by having a lot of good games to choose from, but also a lot of garbage titles too.

GEN 6: Microsoft Xbox. Best graphics, typically the best version of any game that was also on PS2 and GameCube(Tony Hawk titles excluded), Shenmue 2.
CLOSE RUNNER UP: Sega Dreamcast. This was tough Between DC and Xbox as I also wanted to put the Dreamcast as the first choice, and it most likely would have been the case if Sega didn't end it's life cycle so quickly. Dreamcast had an amazing library overall, the best controller of the gen and is the original home for Shenmue. These were the two premium feeling consoles of that gen, with the PS2 feeling like a bargain basement version of the Xbox and the GameCube having the worst versions of multi-platform games, the worst mainstream console controller in console history and very few decent exclusive titles as the Nintendo charm seemed to have worn off. Every Nintendo branded title failed to surpass it's N64 predecessors. Xbox and Dreamcast were truly amazing for their time.

GEN 7: Microsoft Xbox 360. Best controller of the gen(second best of all time), best graphics, best versions of multi-platform games, best dashboard, best online, best console to come along period at that time. DISTANT RUNNER UP: Nintendo Wii. Since the PS3 is mostly a redundancy of the Xbox 360 with a few exceptions to a worthwhile exclusive or two, I'd have to give this to the Wii for it's innovation. Multi-platform games were the worst on the Wii, but it provided an fresh alternative to the XB360/PS3. Lots of bad or underwhelming games on the Wii, including most of the Nintendo branded games but Wii Sports Bowling along with the other Wii Sports/Resort games alone were worth owning a Wii for in 2006.

GEN 8: Microsoft Xbox One. Most powerful console, best graphics, best controller of all time, best version of multi-platform games(better controller, better online), best dashboard layout. DISTANT RUNNER UP: Sony PlayStation 4. It's hard to give this spot to PS4 as it feels mostly like a over-hyped and under-delivered version of the XB1, and as much as I liked the innovation of the Nintendo Wii U and Nintendo Switch I have to go with the PS4. Wii U and Switch don't really have any exclusive games I liked a lot(and just like the last 30 years Nintendo has the worst multi-platform versions in most cases). I appreciate the innovation of the Switch and Wii U, and it's possible the Switch would bump the PS4 on innovation alone, but there's two simple reasons PS4 is the runner up: Shenmue 3 and Ghost of Tsushima.

GEN 9 Predictions: Microsoft Xbox Series X/S will still offer the better value over PS5. I'm open to see what comes and look back 5-7 years from now, but first impressions are already leaning that way.

HANDHELDS:

Never really cared much for handhelds outside of Sonic games in the 90s and a short phase with Pokemon Yellow in the late 90s. I enjoy MK9 and MK11 on the Vita and Switch, but cannot bring myself to keep the consoles just to play those titles when they're still better on the big screen.

Sega Game Gear over Nintendo Game Boy for better graphics, more comfortable in hands, better game library.
Nintendo DS over Sony PSP. Don't care for either really, but DS was more comfortable with better games...I guess.
Nintendo Switch Lite over Sony PS Vita due to diversity, though it feels worse in hands. Sony PS Vita over Nintendo 3DS due to game library.

@otbr87 Probably a better thread title would be favourite game from each console.

Mega Drive - Streets of Rage
Saturn - Sonic R
PlayStation - Metal Gear Solid
Nintendo 64 - Very tough one. Probably Golden Eye or Conkers Bad Fur Day....Or Star Fox
PlayStation 2 - One of the WWE games most likely
Dreamcast - Shenmue with Power Stone 2 being an honourable mention.
GameCube - Console sucked and I sold it early but did enjoy Smash Bro's
Xbox - Halo and Fable
Xbox 360 - Halo 3, Mass Effect and BioShock. Too many to choose just one for this console.
PlayStation 3 - Metal Gear Solid 4, Valkyria Chronicles
PlayStation 4 - The Witcher 3, Persona 5, God of War and The Last of Us 2 probably all tied.

@otbr87 Probably a better thread title would be favourite game from each console.

Mega Drive - Streets of Rage
Saturn - Sonic R
PlayStation - Metal Gear Solid
Nintendo 64 - Very tough one. Probably Golden Eye or Conkers Bad Fur Day....Or Star Fox
PlayStation 2 - One of the WWE games most likely
Dreamcast - Shenmue with Power Stone 2 being an honourable mention.
GameCube - Console sucked and I sold it early but did enjoy Smash Bro's
Xbox - Halo and Fable
Xbox 360 - Halo 3, Mass Effect and BioShock. Too many to choose just one for this console.
PlayStation 3 - Metal Gear Solid 4, Valkyria Chronicles
PlayStation 4 - The Witcher 3, Persona 5, God of War and The Last of Us 2 probably all tied.
I like this idea. I will start a thread tailored towards that. πŸ‘

Gen 3: MS
Gen 4: Mega Drive
Gen 5: PS1
Gen 6: DC
Gen 7: PS3
Gen 8: Switch
Gen 9: Xbox Series

Not necessarily favourites, but my current set-up is:-

Megadrive (all region)
SNES (all region)
PS1
Dreamcast (all time favourite)
PS2
OG Xbox
Xbox 360
Wii (used as a Gamecube)
PS4

I also have a DS Lite for DS/Gameboy Advance shenanigans.

Top three want list:-

Mega CD (version 1)
32X
Saturn

Hmm.... apparently late to the party on this thread.

Gen 3: NES
Gen 4: Genesis / Game Gear
Gen 5: PS1
Gen 6: Gamecube
Gen 8: PS4
Gen 9: PS5 (Due to it playing PS4 games -- otherwise it would be Switch).

Super late to the party.

Gen 3 have never onwed a console of that gen but interested in getting a master system and NES

Gen 4 When that generation was relevant I just had gameboy and did get into Mega Drive and SNES gaming until recently. But I own both systems now and the winner would be the Mega drive. The games on that platform are more akin to my taste. But the SNES is great as well. It is really hard to pick a favourite because both consoles are really awesome.

Gen 5 PS1

Gen 6 Dreamcast

Gen 7 PS3

Gen 8 PS4

Gen 9 I do knot now yet. I will answer that question in 2025 or 2026.

snes
ps1
xbox original
( ps2 is a very close second)
ps3 ( i was mainly a xbox360 gamer for this gen but the ps3 still holds up today. games still look pretty good on it + all the mgs games are playable on it.)
ps4 ( i owned a xbox one for a short time but the ps4 had better exclusives)
ps5

Or just amend the thread title
Or make your own. You've had over a year.

Anyway, it's Master System, SNES, skip, Dreamcast, 360, Xbox One.

It should be said though that I never owned a NES, only played the Saturn/PS/N64 generation retroactively, and only ever had "all the consoles" the generation the DC got fucked off (I needed to find my new console brand, and went with my least favourite of the generation)

The only PlayStation I ever really had was the PS2. Hence why I still haven't played Shenmue III.

I wasn't born or alive for gen 1

But for Gen 2, am I allowed to count the Commodore 64?

Gen 3: NES

Gen 4: Genesis

Gen 5: N64 for US/Saturn for Japan

Gen 6: Dreamcast

Gen 8: PS4

Gen 9: Don't own any

I wasn't born or alive for gen 1

But for Gen 2, am I allowed to count the Commodore 64?
It's classed as a computer, not a console. So no mate, you can't. Edit your post immediately.

Back