(Fan Project) Shenmue Book Series

~ ひかり ~

このまま・・・時間が止まるといい
Site Staff
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (PS4)
i'm working on a big and special project for the Shenmue community. My project is to write 11 books telling the entire journey of Ryo (Akira) with the games, the anime, the concept arts of VF RPG and other informations Yu Suzuki shared all this years as inspiration.

I've always been interested in reading everything that Yu Suzuki wrote for the story back then, with all the places, characters, details and much more, and i feel sad for Yu Suzuki that he had to cut out many places in the story like Miao Village, Suzhou, Baisha and many other places.

I don't know if Yu Suzuki will share the scripts with the Shenmue community one day, and to me the more Shenmue in more media the better so one day i thought... "What if i write the entire journey of Ryo (Akira) in book form? i want to do this for the Shenmue community."

I have other project for the Shenmue Community, the project to do 11 games with the same vision of telling the entire journey of Ryo (Akira), but in this case is harder for me because i don't have much knowledge yet about how to make games, i didn't give up about the games project but my main focus now is the books project.

The cover of the first book will be the first card of the VF RPG concept arts.

1650676661539.png
This project will have 2 versions, The Legend of Akira version for people that want a VF experience, and The Legend of Ryo version for people that want a Shenmue experience, maybe the Shenmue version will have a different cover, i'm not sure yet, the main difference between the versions will be the names of the characters, for example in the VF version it will be Aoi Umenokoji but in the Shenmue version will be Nozomi Harasaki.

i'm writing the first book, Book 1 Yokosuka.

Maybe i will even do a Kickstarter one day for this project similar to what James did for the Shenmue World magazine, this way people can really have the books, i don't know yet, all i know is that i will release for free the digital version of the books.

I know is an big project that probably will take years for me to conclude, but it is like a journey to me and i will do my best to continue and one day conclude the project.

Like i said the more Shenmue in more media the better, I love writing, i love Shenmue so much, Shenmue is super important to me and i really want to do this project for the Shenmue Community, i will post updates about this project here in this thread, thank you. ❤️

Thank you so much for the support, it means a lot to me. ❤️

This sounds awesome I must say. Concerning the videogame story-telling form, I would advocate for a visuals freedom.
I mean, going retro and "simple". Akira's Journey in pixelart isometric view ala Project x Zone? with 1 vs 1/many foes in sideview or psedo3d view (punch out!!) yes i would play that. I would stick to a fantribute scope for development, because going full 3D recreation could become slippery floor. Uh this last sounds like discouragement? I mean, im saying, your idea appeals to me and a visual novel scheme, with limited animation, minigames and fights raising player's stats (like that KoF/Garou Densetsu RPG released on PSX) would do for getting my attention

I think this is a wonderful idea, but something that could easily be overwhelming! I think it would need to be a bit of a group effort, even if it's small things like proof reading, etc.

I'd gladly contribute towards this, even if it's just some funding!

Wow, so cool and SO down for this.

Look forward to your work and for sure, if you need anything the SHCommunity will be there ✌🏼

I think this is a wonderful idea, but something that could easily be overwhelming! I think it would need to be a bit of a group effort, even if it's small things like proof reading, etc.

I'd gladly contribute towards this, even if it's just some funding!

The part about writing the story i want to write by myself, but after i finish the first book i will need help about english mistakes, english is not my first language, so i will probably need help with that and maybe with other things when the time comes about that, thank you so much for supporting my project, means a lot me. ❤️

Wow, so cool and SO down for this.

Look forward to your work and for sure, if you need anything the SHCommunity will be there ✌🏼

Thank you for your kind comment, this makes me want to continue writing even more, thank you for the support. ❤️

Incredible project

Thanks ShenSun, thank you so much for the support, means a lot to me. ❤️

Important characters in Book 1: Yokosuka VF version and Shenmue version

Akira Yuki (Ryo Hazuki in the Shenmue version)
Aoi Umenokouji (Nozomi Harasaki in the Shenmue version)
Lion Rafale (Chai in the Shenmue version)

tumblr_ng3fwlX34U1r7sf6xo6_250.jpgAoi.jpglion011.jpg

Characters that will remain the same in both versions.

Lan Di will be the same in both versions but Lau Chan will appear in other book, i decided this based on this chapter card where we can clearly see that Lan Di and Lau Chan are different characters in the story.

Pai Chan will appear in the second book of the story, in the Hong Kong part, she will not be Xiuying in the story but Pai Chan will be important as well.

1650840367784.pngpai-dengeki-bunko-fighting-climax-artwork-by-eiri-iwamoto.jpg

Shenhua
Iwao Hazuki
Fuku-san
Ine-san
Guizhang
Tom
Master Chen and many other characters of the first game will remain the same in both versions, but i will put other VF characters in the books as well, Akira will meet many VF characters like Jeffry, Sarah, Eileen and many others but i will not say how it will happen here.

The books will also have images in some parts.

My plan is to finish the Yokosuka book this year.

i'm also doing this for the VF community, The Shenmue community means a lot to me, i will do my best with this project, thank you all for the support. ❤️

End of update 1

Last edited:
Back