Episode Recap - Shenmue the Animation S01E01

Welcome to the Shenmue Dojo's first episode recap of Shenmue the Animation!

A recap of each episode will be published weekly after its air date. These recaps will be spoiler heavy and written with the intent of being easily digestible for those who have never played the games. There will be a section toward the end of the recap detailing differences between how the anime and games present the narrative.

The energy building for this adaptation since the premier date announcement has been palpable. An excited buzz can be felt again in our fanbase that I haven’t felt since the days of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter campaign. I share the hope of many this TV show will bring in new fans, some of which will look to experience the trailblazing video game franchise we love.

With that said, the first episode has aired and I’ve had the great pleasure of watching Thunderclap in both English and Japanese. On to the recap.

Full spoilers for the first episode beyond this point.

Light the Fire

We open with a CG title sequence that brings the series logo into full view and immediately flashes into a mysterious cave. A beautiful vocal rendition of the game’s main theme plays as we are greeted to a shot of our two protagonists, Ryo Hazuki and Shenhua Ling, holding a stone mirror with a Phoenix carved into it. They nod to each other knowingly, then place the mirror into a pedestal that triggers a burst of light. From that action a series of torches begin to light along the cave, all while the voice of Shenhua recites a prophecy:

Coming across the sea, from distant land in the east, he shall appear. A young man unaware of his own strength. A strength that can both destroy him and bring his wishes to fruition.

When he is ready, he will seek me. We will traverse this barren road together. As it was written across the stars, from long, long ago.

A dragon will rise from the earth, conjuring dark clouds to blot out the heavens. A phoenix will descend from above, delivering purple winds with a flap of its wings.

Yet even as the sky is devoured by darkness, a single morning star radiates its bright light.

That long, winding tale shall now begin.

Closing out this sequence are two gigantic mirrors, one depicting a dragon and the second a phoenix, revealed to be carved directly into the cave walls side by side. The audience and our protagonists are left to wonder the meaning of this revelation as we transition away from the scene.

IMG_10252.png

With a Single Blow

We jump months into the past. Yokosuka Japan in November of 1986 to be exact. Our protagonist Ryo Hazuki is preparing to leave his home while receiving wishes of good luck from Fuku, an apprentice at the Hazuki dojo, and Ine, a live-in housekeeper. It’s nice to see Fuku-san present here, as some fans were concerned he hadn’t made the cut for the anime.

IMG_10261.png
Ryo is set appear in a martial arts tournament today for his high school where winning will provide a big advantage getting into his university of choice. We see a talented young man with a bright future ahead of him. Ryo heads outside to greet his father, Iwao, who is visiting with a family friend, Yamagashi, admiring the koi pond. The stoic Iwao reminds his son of what has evidently become trademark advice: “It’s still not enough. You are lacking. Keep that in mind.” This is advice our hero does not yet understand, which he casually reminds his father of before heading off.

Thousands of miles away in Guilin China, a rural village girl remarks on the eastern sky. We hear Shenhua’s theme playing in the background as the clouds part to reveal sunlight.

At the tournament, things are going well for Suka High. During a break Ryo and his teammates are taunted by a rival school with a cocky reigning champion (*Dweeb High - awful taunt), and the instructor implores Ryo to keep a clear mind to obtain victory. If you needed any reminder that Chikara Sakurai of One Punch Man fame was helming this series, here it is. Returning to tournament action, Ryo’s cocky opponent charges him to start match, and with perfect serenity Ryo takes him out with a single punch. It is explained that no opponent has ever landed a punch in a match against him. This is a welcome light moment for the show before we take a darker turn, and illuminates that Ryo is indeed a gifted martial artist at this stage in his life.

IMG_10321.png
Clouds gather in the sky. A black car rushes down the highway carrying an ominous figure.

After the tournament, his classmates urge for a night of celebration. Ryo declines, citing the need to practice with his father during the evening hours. One does not become tournament champion by neglecting their training. After a quick chat with Tom, a local hot dog stand owner, snow begins to fall and Ryo hears a commotion in the neighborhood park. Here we meet Ryo’s classmate Nozomi Harasaki, a girl whose face lights up any time he is near. She’s defending a young boy from two delinquents crying over spilled ice cream and hounding the boy about the incident. They knock Nozomi down and Ryo intervenes. He dispatches these two with ease, all the while holding his signature green backpack with one hand. Once again, Ryo demonstrates himself to be a cut above the average brawler.

Nozomi’s romantic adoration for Ryo in this moment is obvious. She is star struck gazing on Ryo in action, though if he notices this from her is unclear at this point. In a gentlemanly gesture, Ryo offers Nozomi to borrow his handkerchief after seeing dirt on her clothes from the encounter. The two then part ways.

IMG_E0995.JPG

The Day the Snow Turned to Rain

Ryo arrives at his home and our plot takes off in similar fashion to the opening of the first game. Ryo notices a black car parked out front and the Hazuki Dojo sign smashed against the stairs to the entrance. He heads into the yard where he discovers Ine-san laying on the ground in pain. Knowing that Iwao is in grave danger, she implores Ryo to get to the dojo. As Ryo approaches the steps of the dojo, Fuku-san is violently thrown out the front entrance to the ground below.

Ryo now sees our primary antagonist, Lan Di, for the first time as he stares down his father. This mysterious and menacing man, garbed in an ornate green Chinese outfit embroidered with a dragon on the front is demanding the location of a mirror from Iwao. The storm brewing outside has forebodingly darkened the room and lightning flashes to reflect the tension of this situation. Ryo’s father stands firm in the face of this criminal and refuses to produce the mirror. A fight ensues that sees the Jujitsu master who dedicated his life to mastering and teaching martial arts, quickly overpowered by Lan Di.

IMG_1001.PNG

Ryo rushes in to his father’s defense, but is immediately rebuked. Lan Di slices his left cheek open, an act that will leave him with his trademark bandage, then delivers a knock out blow to his gut. After this exchange, Lan Di casually quips that Ryo is not ready to fight him. Even as talented as he shown himself to be as a martial artist earlier in the episode, he is nowhere close to a match for this dangerous man. As Iwao said, he is indeed lacking. Both Hazuki men have fallen and this situation is dire.

Lan Di prompts Iwao for the location of the mirror once more and is again refused. It’s at this point the scene turns deadly. Lan Di takes Ryo by the neck and promises Iwao his son’s death unless ownership of the mirror changes hands. Ryo’s father relents and reveals it is buried under the residence’s cherry tree. As Lan Di’s men retrieve the mirror, he asks Iwao if he remembers a man by the name of Sunming Zhao, then drops a revelation that shocks Ryo to his core. Lan Di claims Iwao murdered this man. Ryo’s father now recognizes who Lan Di is and struggles to his feet once more, as the villain states he will allow Iwao to die a warrior’s death. They engage in combat one last time and the killing blow is delivered.

IMG_10021.png

Lan Di is presented the dug up mirror by his men and exits the dojo with a knowing glance that he has changed the course of the young man's life. Ryo is now alone to face the tragedy that his father is leaving him forever. With his dying breath Iwao repeats his famous last words from the first game, imploring Ryo to keep his friends a loved ones close to him.

Thunder claps. The snow has turned to rain. Nothing will ever be the same again for Ryo Hazuki.

Yokosuka Blues

Lan Di provides marching orders to his underlings to find the other mirror. One particularly enthusiastic and particularly creepy follower, Chai takes up this quest with vigor. Meanwhile, Fuku and Ine hand over all evidence they can to help the police find Lan Di. Ryo is skeptical of this approach and wants to look into the matter himself. Ine-san implores Ryo not to put himself in danger and Fuku-san correctly notes these criminals are out of Ryo’s league.

IMG_1035.JPG

Later, Nozomi seeks out Ryo and finds him wandering the streets of Yokosuka, quietly mourning the memory of his father and despairing over the claim that he was a killer. She finds him and awkwardly offers condolences. She doesn’t know what to say in the face of tragedy so instead attempts to lighten the mood and offers a bite to eat at Tom’s. Nozomi’s stomach grumbles and Ryo jokes that she’s the one hungry for a hot dog before laughing out loud in what must be a series first.

Tom has temporarily closed shop after his stand was damaged by a black car. Nozomi reveals the same car splashed mud on her as it whizzed by. Ryo connects the dots and knows this was Lan Di. Ryo presses his finger to the bandage on his face, covering the mark this man has left on him. Ryo is haunted.

Having moved on to Ajiichi Restaurant for ramen, Ryo and Nozomi learn that Lan Di is a cartel member in the Chinese underworld and snuck into the country using the local harbor to bypass immigration. As Nozomi and Ryo prepare to part ways, she asks about his return to school. She clearly hopes to see him resume his normal life soon, seemingly not understanding these events are changing his life rapidly and simply returning to normal won’t be an option for the young Hazuki.

IMG_10121.png

Accept your Weakness

Ryo stands under the cherry tree at the Hazuki Residence. He is full of doubt about his ability to uncover the truth of his father’s murder and seems close to casting away the idea altogether. He then notices the Dojo doors are out of place and goes to check on it, where is attacked by Chai demanding the other mirror. Similar to the manner in which he was attacked by Lan Di, Chai swipes at Ryo’s face and slashes his bandage off to reveal the wound left by the cartel leader. He then punches him in the gut and sends him against the floor, reeling.

In this moment, Ryo finally understands why his father told him he was lacking, and kicks himself for failing to listen. Prior to Lan Di, Ryo hadn't encountered opponents that outclass his skills, and therefore never needed heed his father's lesson, until now. As Chai taunts, Ryo accepts he has met a stronger fighter and studies the skinhead’s movements to discover his opening. The tides turn. Ryo strikes Chai in the gut as the main theme plays once more. The prophecy recited by Shenhua’s voice is repeated as Ryo strikes Chai, sending him flying and expelling him from the dojo.

IMG_1014.PNG

Fuku and Ine rush in as Chai scampers off in defeat. They move to contact the police but Ryo stops them. He has made up his mind. He will follow the dangerous trail and uncover why his father was murdered. More importantly, he must understand the truth of his father and find assurance that he was the man Ryo believes him to have been.

Realizing there is no way to dissuade Ryo from this path, Ine-san produces a letter that arrived after Iwao’s death. On the back, the sender is revealed to be a man by the name of Yuanda Zhu. Ryo now has his first big clue to push this investigation forward.

To close out the episode we are greeted to shots of Shenhua, Lan Di, and Ryo each looking to the night sky. And thus saga has begun.

shenhua-anime.png
Plot Deviations from the Game Series

Some spoilers for all three games appear in this section.

There's a decent number to list, which I expect to be the case each week going forward. Personally I see these changes as a good thing. With new viewers having their first experience with Shenmue, the show-runners owe the audience a story structure built that is simple to grasp and easy to hook them. Existing fans of the games also get to experience the narrative in a new way, which should make the anime a more interesting watch than it would be as a shot-for-shot retelling of the games. You can get that watching Shenmue the Movie.

• Opening with the Cave Sequence - The climactic end of Shenmue 2 kicks off the show.

• Sword of Seven Stars - The retcon of this item’s magical properties shown in Shenmue 2 seems to be permanent and I didn’t notice it in the opening sequence at all. This brings the cave sequence closer to the opening of Shenmue 3.

• Martial Arts Tournament - This scene doesn’t appear in the games at all. A welcome addition from Shenmue lore.

• Nozomi rescues the boy. - In the game this encounter with Nagashima and Enoki in Sakuragaoka Park takes place many days after the Iwao is killed, not before.

• Ryo’s Demeanor - I personally can’t remember Ryo ever laughing out loud in any of the games. Anime Ryo also shows a lot more initial hesitance about his ability to track down his father’s killer. I dare say that Ryo has a bit more sense now.

• Will Ryo have his revenge? - I took special note of this. Not long into playing Shenmue, Ryo swears he will take revenge on Lan Di loudly and proudly. He stubbornly holds onto that stance all the way through the end of Shenmue 3. His primary motivation so far in the anime is understanding why his father was murdered and seeking validation that his father was indeed a good man. I ultimately expect Ryo to claim he’s seeking revenge in the anime, but it’s interesting that it wasn’t explicitly stated in the opening episode.

• Chai - Our favorite Gollum clone isn’t seen until about midway through the first game. His appearance seeking the Phoenix mirror just a couple of days after Iwao’s murder brings him into the main plot much sooner.

IMG_10041.png

• Streamlining the Investigation - Much of the information about Lan Di and the Chi You Men was uncovered by happenstance while spending time with Nozomi, rather than Ryo approaching people directly for information. We won’t be hearing to try asking Chinese people about Chinese in this show.

Final Thoughts

I enjoyed the opening episode thoroughly. The pacing was a lot faster than the games, which I think will help keep it feeling fresh for your average Toonami viewer tuning in to see what Shenmue is all about. I’m positive on many of the alterations from the game's plot. With Lan Di currently out of reach, getting Chai out there early to act as an ever present danger stalking Ryo sets him up to be a great foil over the next few episodes.

I also look forward to seeing more interactions with Nozomi as the season progresses. Going by her prominence in the excellent closing credits, she seems to be a very important part of the first season and will be featured more than she was in the first game. It will be exciting to see what Shenhua is up to in Bailu Village prior to her fateful encounter with Ryo.

I found both the English and Japanese voice acting enjoyable. Masaya Matsukaze is so comfortable in the role of Ryo. I’m of course a bit sad that Corey Marshall and Brianna Knickerbocker were not able reprise their roles here, but Austin Tindle and Natalie Rial are doing well in their stead. If I had to name a one language preference I would probably choose Japanese with subs, but I think both versions are worth watching.

On the musical score front, Kana Shibue is doing a great job adapting themes from the game and the two renditions of Shenmue's main theme brought goosebumps when the track started playing. With such a rich catalogue of music to pull from I hope we hear many more tracks from the games incorporated into the anime score going forward.

Reading the reception to the first episode from others, especially newcomers, has been wonderful. It’s truly a breath of fresh air to see so many positive takes coming in for the show. This anime has cemented itself as mandatory viewing each Saturday night.

I’ll be back next week with a recap of episode 2, entitled Daybreak. Thanks for reading!

IMG_E1011.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1018.PNG
    IMG_1018.PNG
    853.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_10241.png
    IMG_10241.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
"I personally can’t remember Ryo ever laughing out loud in any of the games"

Ryo laughing in Shenmue III

Beautiful recap and I agree with many things, it was super enjoyable to read, I like the way the story is progressing in the anime, Lan Di with more screen time, Shenhua with more screen time, the scenes that were made especially for the anime and much more. I look forward to seeing your next post here on the blog.

Last edited:
"I personally can’t remember Ryo ever laughing out loud in any of the games"

Ryo laughing in Shenmue III

Beautiful recap and I agree with many things, it was super enjoyable to read, I like the way the story is progressing in the anime, Lan Di with more screen time, Shenhua with more screen time, the scenes that were made especially for the anime and much more. I look forward to seeing your next post here on the blog.
Well I'm definitely going to remember it now lol. I'm glad you enjoyed the recap. I agree, more screen time for all is a great thing.

Last edited:
Back