Dragon & Phoenix Development Logs

LemonHaze

Server Admin
Administrator
1611950827819.png

The intention here is to give the community some updates on the progress the team have made, aswell as giving the team the chance to bring some internal discussions to the community. I also plan to personally post updates in relation to the research I conducted (along with other members) in regard to the original games, to keep things neat and tidy as opposed to creating a billion threads here.

Firstly, a little back story. I started looking into S1/S2 (d3t; 2018) just shortly after release and quickly found the RE community. Upon joining the community, I became aware that the re-releases simply house the original DC/S2x data that was stored on the original release. There are a lot of (small) changes in the re-releases version of S1/S2, but mostly everything remains the same. Even in cases where there are significant changes in things such as models, the original DC/S2x data mostly still exists in the archives. There are some exceptions to this, such as dialogue audio and BGM, but in general everything is still there. With that being known, I set out on researching and reversing various components, systems and game logic in both games and helped with many reversing efforts which had started in other groups (Shenmue Audio Restoration Project, SDK development etc etc).

After months of research, I began to look into the potential for making true HD mods for the original games, using the original engine. However I quickly realised that this probably wouldn't be worth the time for the result we'd get. The reasons for this are pretty straightforward, the original engine is optimised to the point of adding things onto it will require more time than simply doing the same thing in another engine. This is why I decided to look into writing implementations for interfaces with the original engine, which can act as a middle-man between the original Shenmue engine and another 'donor' engine. And naturally, as I am proficient in UE4, I decided to use that as the donor engine.

~ Wulinshu Team ~

UE4 Project
LemonHaze
Dewey
DaviDokuro
Nicolas_D
Ryo Hazuki
GameHacKeR
Francois Montag
Remy Luizy
.... (to be confirmed/updated)

Misc. contributions
PhilYeahz
derplayer
Sappharad
.... (to be confirmed/updated)

Last edited:

Sonoshee

Site Staff
Favourite title
Shenmue
Me trying to do the QTE for it... :sweatsmile:
lpshen_32_09.jpg

Favourite title
Shenmue
Prologue looks absolutely amazing! Did you make new textures/ use texture mods? Is it me or trees look much better than in PC version of the game?

Thank you for your work! Can't wait to play it!

:D

Last edited:

Duchess May

Shenmue Zero Creator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Making my own game
XBL
Duchess May
Idk how much time I could commit, but I am handy with certain blueprints: anim notifies, line tracing (damage, footstep sfx/fx), sound mixing to swap music in volumes, replication, NPC waypoints, basic NPC AI, triggers, etc. More interested in Phoenix version.

Sample of my work:

Idk how much time I could commit, but I am handy with certain blueprints: anim notifies, line tracing (damage, footstep sfx/fx), sound mixing to swap music in volumes, replication, NPC waypoints, basic NPC AI, triggers, etc. More interested in Phoenix version.

Sample of my work:

That's fine; even without being hands-on, every single person who's input we can get on all aspects is useful. https://discord.com/invite/QRtyQR3dWK come join us on Discord, and let's talk