• Yes

• No

• Other option

Results are only viewable after voting.
Favourite title
Shenmue
PSN
Jrockstr
I considered posting this in the random IV thoughts but I thought it would work well as a poll. If this has been done to death before mods please delete I searched and couldn't find anything.

for me personally here's my rambling thoughts:

If you were to have asked me this question for over 23 years I would have been steadfast and had said no that Yu Suzuki has more than earned the right to finish out his story as he saw fit. That he's absolutely a legend in this business and deserves to dictate how his masterpiece concludes in Shenmue V or quite possibly VI.

Fast forward to our current state and me gradually getting much much older. Quite frankly I'll be 35 this year and even when IV comes out I'll probably be 40. I've said before but once this saga ends I'll more than likely be done with gaming . I've been with this franchise since I first saw that horrendous Who's Nozomi ad and even then watching it I somehow knew it would be my favorite game of all time. I got my hands on One when I was 12 back in Christmas 2000. The Nozomi Amulet ending remains my favorite ending across any medium.

Having said all that the more I contemplate it the more I lean towards it should end in IV granted alot would have to be cut from his original vision which is sad but at least we would get the broad strokes and a ending to a beloved saga.

What are your thoughts

I considered posting this in the random IV thoughts but I thought it would work well as a poll. If this has been done to death before mods please delete I searched and couldn't find anything.

for me personally here's my rambling thoughts:

If you were to have asked me this question for over 23 years I would have been steadfast and had said no that Yu Suzuki has more than earned the right to finish out his story as he saw fit. That he's absolutely a legend in this business and deserves to dictate how his masterpiece concludes in Shenmue V or quite possibly VI.

Fast forward to our current state and me gradually getting much much older. Quite frankly I'll be 35 this year and even when IV comes out I'll probably be 40. I've said before but once this saga ends I'll more than likely be done with gaming . I've been with this franchise since I first saw that horrendous Who's Nozomi ad and even then watching it I somehow knew it would be my favorite game of all time. I got my hands on One when I was 12 back in Christmas 2000. The Nozomi Amulet ending remains my favorite ending across any medium.

Having said all that the more I contemplate it the more I lean towards it should end in IV granted alot would have to be cut from his original vision which is sad but at least we would get the broad strokes and a ending to a beloved saga.

What are your thoughts
Actual Ryo Hazuki's arc ends in re-arranged 4 which is cutdown 4-5-6 and reconnings. So I can't vote yes/no

Actual Ryo Hazuki's arc ends in re-arranged 4 which is cutdown 4-5-6 and reconnings. So I can't vote yes/no
My apologies I may have not been clear in my rambling but I meant to frame the question in such a way like this: what is your personal thoughts of do you think the series ends with the IV game or does it continue with a possible V game? Which is why I only have a yes or no option.

My apologies I may have not been clear in my rambling but I meant to frame the question in such a way like this: what is your personal thoughts of do you think the series ends with the IV game or does it continue with a possible V game? Which is why I only have a yes or no option.
Ok then i cast yes, series as we know it ends with the fourth entry, covering episode V. Then spinoffs and crossovers are still in feaseable horizont.

Unless Yu Suzuki has it written in blood in a contract that a Shenmue V will be greenlit, then it damn well better.

That said, if it really is not possible to conclude the story in IV without it being detrimental to the flow and pacing of the series, then I would rather he didn't conclude it, released IV as the game he wants it to be, and at least then concluded the series through the means of a graphic novel, book, anime, fucking web blog or whatever.

You're forgetting the possibility of Shenmue suddenly becoming a multi-million selling series like Persona. Why should it end in that case? :pYou will have side games, remakes, new games in the main series, games from different genres like side scrolling beat em ups... Ryo, Ren and Fuku-san like guest characters in fighting games, Joy with her motocycle in Mario Kart, visual novels, comic books with a back story in the past.... The possibilities are endless! :D

I had a recent discussion with @James Brown about this topic in Discord recently and frankly it's a topic that is a bit of a mindfield.

On one hand I am a firm beliver if Suzuki gets a chance to develop Shenmue 4 as a game he should seize this and try and reach a conclusion as best he can because given what's happened with the series to date and also his advancing age waiting for funding that may or may not come and the series in perpetual limbo just feels maddening as a fan.

I do agree to an extent Suzuki has earned the right to try and conclude the series as he sees fit. The other element in the room if the GDC cards are any indication, how can you condense potentially 60% of the remaining story into 1 game?

1*FdBtK5I-rEiA1G-ok-jsVA.png

Without some sort of time-jump/flashbacks that's going to be really hard without removing chapters and elements whoesale. Also my answer is very much depndent on what sort of partnership and funding Ysnet may recieve. In a perfect world he would be given greenlight and approval to develop Shenmue 4 & 5 similtatenously. Given the huge difficulties in getting Shenmue 4 made, I just don't see that happening so I would push for Shenmue 4 to reach some sort of conclusion and use other media, whether it be anime, manga or even releasing original scripts so the rest of the story and planned elements can be exposed.

As much as I like Shenmue 3, the number one criticism many people had with it was the lack of main plot progression. After Shenmue 3's very mixed reception, deliberately leaving things unresolved yet again...I could see it causing more frustration.

If the story cannot be finished in Shenmue 4, then it looks like we will need that Shenmue 5 in some form. However, if the difference between getting 2 more sequels instead of 1 means getting more Red Snakes gangs, then I'd prefer they trim the fat!

great discussions by everyone I just think if IV does come out there would be cuts regardless. Granted I would hate knowing things would be cut to condense it to fit a conclusion. Having said that it would be so nice to not have to wait anymore either lol. For those curious there are 9 votes for yes and a overwhelmingly 24 for no. The saga continues....

Last edited:
Back