Cut content list

Oh I'm sorry, I just don't believe in hyperbolic bullshit like some people here do. I have my issues with the story, but to say "there is no story" in Shenmue III is ludicrous and hyperbolic at best.

Sorry, but I have no time for idiotic hyperbolic statements.
Dude, there's a story. And is bad due the crap storytelling, imo.

Dude, there's a story. And is bad due the crap storytelling, imo.

Sure, I have my issues with it...I never said I didn't...but to say there's no story? Yeah, I'm sorry if I sound like a prick, but I'm gonna laugh at that. Because there was a story there...just not the one they wanted.

I've already expressed in many other postings my shortcomings with it (lack of character development is a big shortcoming I have with it), but I just don't like hyperbolic statements. <shrugs>

Let me reiterate tgen. I'll say "Good storytelling". Hope this makes my point clear.

TThere is some story in there. It's just told in a very amateurish way, with little plot development and a lot of plot holes.

Let me reiterate tgen. I'll say "Good storytelling". Hope this makes my point clear.

TThere is some story in there. It's just told in a very amateurish way, with little plot development and a lot of plot holes.
If this is the case, Yu don't know how to direct a game and tell a story, since he is no amateur or someone did an amazing job telling us the Shenmue 2's story.

Who's ever said Yu is perfect? What if some of us thinks that Yu's storytelling in S2 was a masterpiece and his storytelling in S3 was not thaaaat great?

I facisinates me how such a genius can use his funding after 20 years of waiting to make a game about the red snakes... There had to be someone at some point who sugested that the series is of dire need of saving and all focus should be about giving answers and raise new questions.

Its the questions that has kept a lot of going...

If you have to the budget to hunt red snakes with no names then you have the budget to hunt people connected to the story...
If you have the budget to make dialog, then you have budget to make dialogs that dont leave plotholes etc.

How many shots do you think he has of making the series? Do you think the investors are standing in line to fund S4 based of what they seen in S3?

If i had been a gameinvestor then i would have Yu explaining to me im great detail what this story is all about. All the way from the night the rain turned to snow.

At some point i guess i would have fallen of when he starts talking about S3 since there are so many plotholes.. Thats objectivly speaking. Subjectivly i would have thrown millions in to it since Shenmue is so close to my heart.

If I may im going to cut and paste all that text from there to here if that is an issue I will delete post

Shenmue III - ALL THE FACTS AND INFORMATION (THUS FAR)
Postby ShenGCH » Fri May 20, 2016 4:31 am
Hello, everyone. I know we already have the brilliant Shenmue 3 Kickstarter News/Information/Multimedia Archive thread, but I thought it would be a good idea to have a compendium of all the facts, information, and everything we currently know about the game in one easy-to-read contained thread. Perhaps the mods would like to consider this as a sticky?

Please feel free to add everything and anything you can that is relevant (as well as suggestions on how to improve the thread), and I'll update the original post whenever I can
:)

(Some of the following information can be considered as spoilers, so read at your own risk.)

---

Story

- Yu Suzuki describes the game as "a kung-fu adventure that takes place in China" [1]

- The game's "key points," according to Yu Suzuki, are "romance, characters' life and martial arts." Where romance is concerned, Yu Suzuki would like to portray the differences between how men and women think [4] [39]

- According to Yu Suzuki, Shenmue III will begin from Chapter Six of the story's eleven planned chapters, and will "mark the end of this story," but will not be the end of the story. In a 2018 interview with GamersFlag, Yu Suzuki stated, "the end will be open for a sequel," suggesting Shenmue III might end on a cliffhanger [33]

- Shenmue III's story begins the day after the conclusion of Shenmue II [9]

- Ryo, while still angry and thirsty for revenge, will grow and mature a lot throughout the game. Those he meets along the way, particularly where martial arts is concerned, will be largely responsible for this [5]

- The meaning behind the "He shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea..." prologue poem, as well as Ryo and Shenhua's roles in the prophecy, will finally be revealed [1]

- Yu Suzuki has stated he would like to keep Shenhua as "a mysterious character" [38]

- Ryo will not return home to Japan in Shenmue III [17]

- The game will explore and highlight the differences between Japanese and Chinese culture, particularly the way in which Ryo behaves in a foreign land having come from a different background, and how he and Shenhua interact with each other [8]

- Confirmed fighting styles (thus far) include: Hazuki style jujitsu (Ryo), Fist-Dagger Mantis style (Niao Sun), Nanquan (a master located in Choubu), and Bajiquan (Ryo and various characters throughout the game) [9]

Characters

- Confirmed important characters (thus far): Ryo Hazuki, Shenhua, Lan Di, Ren, Niao Sun, Chai, Shenhua's adoptive father, and two unnamed "main bosses"

- Confirmed minor characters (thus far): Ming Ming and unnamed minor characters such as an extremely muscular rival to Ryo (described as "a middle-level boss" who "uses an unusual style of martial arts"), the owner of Choubu's Bird Dance Hostel, the temple/shrine maiden of the Hall of Name Tags (described as "a tomboy, boyish type"), a young girl Ryo will befriend, an assistant who will play a role similar to that of Fangmei, a master of Nanquan, and an "eccentric" and "really powerful" martial arts master with "a humorous personality" [6] [9] [36]

- Nozomi, Guizhang, Ine-san, Joy, Fuku-san, Goro, and "other characters" from the two previous games are also confirmed, albeit in the form of telephone calls through the 'World of Telecom' service [6] [9] [16]

- There will be "four main bosses," according to Yu Suzuki. Lan Di and Niao Sun are the only named bosses at present, the latter of whom has been described as "extremely beautiful and sexy, but cruel." The only information pertaining to the two remaining main bosses is that one of them is "[a] strategist using more cunning than head-on fighting" [39]

Locations

- Confirmed areas (thus far): Bailu Village, Choubu, and Baisha [6]

- Bailu Village (白鹿村, which translates as 'White Deer') is the starting area of Shenmue III and, where the player was only able to experience just a tiny fraction of the village, was also where Shenmue II ended, though the entire village will now be fully open and explorable. According to Shenhua, who lives in a hut on the very outskirts of the village, Bailu Village is home to around fifty inhabitants. Due to the village's proximity to water, players will be able to fish there. The initial quests here will start Ryo and Shenhua off on their journey

- Choubu (鸟舞, which translates as 'Bird Dance'), a riverside village situated on the banks of the Li River, will be the game's equivalent to Dobuita or Wan Chai, featuring numerous shops, stalls, amusements, hotels, shrines, temples, dwellings, and other buildings. Choubu resembles Kowloon in terms of its density and verticality. Choubu will contain approximately two-hundred NPCs (which is over three times that which was originally planned), one of whom is a master of Nanquan. Choubu has been described as the most Shenmue-esque location in the game [9] [17]

- Baisha (白沙, which translates as 'White Sand') is a village, notable for its numerous tulous, which is home to the Guilin branch of the Chi You Men. Baisha will see a number of new gameplay systems introduced to players, including "a siege game reminiscent of the Warring Kingdoms," which will presumably see the player defending allies from external attacks and engaging in battle with enemies attempting to gain control of the village's buildings, as well as an infiltration mission into the Chi You Men's branch (presumably on a mission to rescue Shenhua's imprisoned adoptive father). It is also during this infiltration mission the player will take advantage of the new 'Character Perspective System', allowing the player to swap between Ryo, Shenhua, and Ren, utilising each character's unique traits and abilities to achieve their goal

- Some of the specific landmarks and establishments that have been revealed are the Lake of the Lantern Bugs, the Temple of the Blooming Flower, the Bird Dance Hostel, and the Hall of Name Tags [13] [30] [31] [32]

Gameplay

- Shenmue III contains around thirty hours of gameplay [3] [9]

- The 'Technique Scroll System', one of the game's confirmed new mechanics, consists of move scrolls comprised of three unique types - Normal, Advanced, and Arcane - the latter two of which are managed by a skill tree-like system, which fills as you learn new moves, and require a certain amount to be accumulated before use [9] [16]

- The 'Character Perspective System', the second of the game's confirmed new mechanics, gives the player the ability to change the character they're playing as - with each character having their own distinct personalities, choices, and approach to the situation at hand - in order to complete their objective. Ryo's approach is that of fighting; Ren's is that of using a weapon; and Shenhua's is non-violent and tactical. This mechanic will feature in a single event [17]

- The 'Rapport System', the third of the game's confirmed new mechanics, will see Ryo and Shenhua's relationship vary depending on the player's actions towards, and interactions with, her, therefore affecting how cooperative and/or warm/cold she is in return, dictated by two underlying systems: the 'Affinity Rating' and 'Cooperative Quest' [17]

- 'A.I. Battling', the fourth of the game's confirmed new mechanics, will allow players to "unleash the perfect technique in response to the opponent's positioning and distance," meaning the technique will, upon activation, hand control over to an A.I. which will decide the best course of action instead of requiring calculated inputs from the player. The system is "for players who are not used to fighting games or for those who want a full immersion battle experience" [19]

- NPCs will be more akin to those featured in Shenmue II, meaning their scripting won't be as detailed, nor will their personalities be as unique as those in the original game, though other aspects about them will see improvement (e.g., cosmetic detail and facial expressions) [38]

- Regarding controls, Yu Suzuki has stated he is currently in two minds about how they will function; on one hand, he would like to "keep a similar configuration to the original game," but realises times have long since changed and is therefore considering more contemporary schemes [10] [12]

- In order to make the combat system simpler and visually different from the series' previous entries, a "Variable Speed" system is being incorporated into FREE battles. Specific details have not been revealed, but Yu Suzuki describes it as "new and fun" [11]

- Ryo will now be able to attack multiple opponents at once (a primitive version of this could be found in the first two games, in which the Ryo was able to grapple an opponent and kick away surrounding enemies) and perform combos in FREE battles [26]

- QTEs will return in a more modernised, dynamic fashion. The possibility of using specific sounds and colours to associate with inputs, as opposed to displaying the button itself on-screen, is under consideration [9]

- Training areas might be making a return for the first time since the first game [38]

- Progression of time will be "about the same system as the first two Shenmue." This means one in-game hour is equivalent to four real-world minutes; one in-game day is equivalent to one real-world hour [34]

- There will be events in which a bear and a deer must be saved

- Regarding the size of the game world, Yu Suzuki states it will be "even richer" than the series' previous entries. Choubu, on its own, has been greatly expanded, by at least five times its originally planned size [4]

- A trademark of the series, attention to detail and interactivity (as well as examples of more subtle detail such as gestures and cultural dress style) will be in abundance [9]

- As was the case with the previous games, Ryo will return to his place of rest at 11:30pm. In Bailu Village this will be Shenhua's house, and in Choubu it will be the player's hostel of choice. Baisha's place of rest is currently unknown, though one can assume it will be in one of the tulous

- Regarding loading screens/times, Yu Suzuki has stated that, "[players will] start in a large area which will require some initial loading, but compared to before the loading situation will be much better. It's much faster now," possibly suggesting exterior-to-interior (and vice versa) loading will be seamless [10]

- For the very first time in the series, players will be able to change Ryo's outfit (and maybe even remove his bandage) [17]

- The notebook will return, and has been updated with coloured divider tabs [17] [25]

- Forklifts will return in one form or another [9] [38]

- Capsule toys from the first two games will be returning, though it is currently unknown whether brand new capsule toys from SEGA franchises will be introduced. Those who pledged for the $700 tier of the Kickstarter campaign will have a 2D illustration of their face featured inside a small glass block, whereas those who pledged for the $1200 tier will have a Chibi-style representation of themselves featured as a fully-modelled capsule toy, as part of new in-game capsule toy collections [13] [17]

- Fortune-telling has been confirmed

- Purchasable move scrolls will be returning [23] [24]

- Arcade cabinets will be returning. So far, Excite QTE and Fighting Mania-like cabinets, as well as pinball machines, whack-a-mole, and a punch-ball boxing machine, have been seen [17] [25] [41]

- Lucky Hit will be returning [6]

- A turtle racing mini-game has been confirmed [1]

- A fishing mini-game has been confirmed [9]

- Many of the new mini-games will be more meaningful and connected to the game's world and progression [9] [26]

- Part-time jobs will be returning. Although wood chopping is the only confirmed job thus far, the presence of a warehouse in Choubu and Lucky Hit suggests job opportunities, too [9] [35]

- Ryo can earn money through various other means, including gambling and selling items (e.g. capsule toys and fish he has caught) [9] [17]

- Wild animals such as tortoises, ducks, and frogs can be found in certain areas. Chickens, dogs, cats, turtles, hens, pigeons, and "many more" can be found throughout the world, too, and there might even be the opportunity to care for a pet in a similar fashion to the kitten from the first game [2] [9]

General

- The game has a tentative release date of 2019 for PlayStation 4 and PC [27]

- In order to appeal to veterans of the series, Shenmue III will be comprised of 30% contemporary ideas/influences and 70% 'classic' Shenmue themes [12]

- The game will feature a short recap covering the events of the first two games for those who are new to the series. Flashbacks using scenes from the first two games will also occur throughout the story; Yu Suzuki is even considering making some of them playable, but is currently "undecided" [9] [11]

- Like its predecessors, Shenmue III will have a bad ending should players not manage to complete the game by a certain in-game date [40]

- Memories will play an important part in Shenmue III. One such example is that of an NPC who will recount a prior event, giving Ryo (and, by extension, the player) a more tangible, visual idea of what occurred before working to fit the pieces together [11]

- Save data from the first two games will not be able to be carried over into Shenmue III

- As of December 2017, almost all of the English voice actors for the main characters have been cast, with casting set to continue in early 2018 [8]

- Yu Suzuki would like to bring back as many of the series' past voice actors as possible. Shenhua (and Wong, if he features in the game) will have a new English voice actress due to Akasha Scholen's retirement [3] [9]

- Corey Marshall and Masaya Matsukaze will reprise their roles as the English and Japanese voices of Ryo Hazuki, respectively [28] [29]

- In a Dreamcast Ultimate interview published on 11/09/2017, Corey Marshall stated he has been in contact with Yu Suzuki's team and his voice work will begin "soon." In March 2018, Marshall revealed he will begin to record his lines at the end of May [15] [37]

- Yu Suzuki would like to include both the English and Japanese dubs in each respective version, but is currently unsure whether it will be possible [17]

- Key members from the series' original development team are working on the game, including writer Masahiro Yoshimoto, character designer Kenji Miyawaki, composer Ryuji Iuchi, and programmer Takeshi Hirai [13]

- Shenmue III is being built in Unreal Engine 4, which the team intend to push to its maximum potential, as opposed to the Virtua Fighter engine utilised by the first two games, due to the engine's ease with prototyping, efficiency, and its appropriate colour palette. As a result, the fighting engine is being built from scratch. Yu Suzuki is especially impressed with how far the capabilities of the engine have exceeded his expectations, particularly where graphical quality is concerned [3] [9] [10] [14] [16]

- Dynamic weather will be returning, and will be considerably improved over the previous games. "The lighting of sunsets and sunrises will be really beautiful," according to Yu Suzuki [39]

- Shenmue III utilises motion and magnetic capture technology for its animations, the former of which will be used in the most important action scenes [4]

- Yu Suzuki hopes players will really feel the visuals; from the humidity in the air to the smell of the surroundings, complemented by the game's new art style [9] [14]

- According to Yu Suzuki, "The assets from [the first two games] will get a lot of use"

- As of early September 2017, map modelling and asset creation is at around 70% completion, whereas the lighting system is very close to completion [9] [16]

- Indian game development studio Lakshya Digital (whose past projects include titles such as Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Bloodborne, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, WWE 2K16, and Just Cause 3) will be taking care of much of the game's character art development. Yu Suzuki is very happy with what he has seen so far [13]

- The OST will consist of unused/returning tracks from the original games (of which just 20% were used in the aforementioned) and possibly some new material [3] [9]

- Shenmue III will feature numerous easter eggs [1]

- Yu Suzuki is considering the possibility of a Tomato Mart in the town of Choubu [7]

- DLC is planned, but no further details have been revealed [9]

- Shenmue III will have no online options, though no specifics were given as to the extent to what is considered 'online'

Business-related

- Following its reveal at E3 2015 on June 15th, Shenmue III was successfully funded on Kickstarter, reaching its initial goal of $2 million in a record eight hours and forty-three minutes, eventually ending in July with a total of $6.333 million (the most-funded video game project and sixth-most-funded overall on Kickstarter) pledged by 69,320 backers [18]

- As of July 23rd, 2018, funding is at $7.063 million (pledged by 78,953 backers) thanks to the Slacker Backer campaign [19] [42]

- Shenmue III will be published in PAL and NA regions by Deep Silver, who will be providing additional budget and promotional support, allowing greater budgetary stability and flexibility, as well as enabling Yu Suzuki to greatly expand upon, and truly realise, his vision and hire more freelancers for the project. (The game's publisher in Japan is currently unknown.) Originally thought to be published by Sony, the latter's role has been clarified as providing support, while SEGA's role is limited to providing the IP and production materials from the series' previous entries [3] [9] [10] [12] [16]

- Contrary to popular belief and misinformation, poor research, and flat-out lies spread by the gaming press, Shibuya Productions is the main investor in Shenmue III, having invested an undisclosed amount in the project, and has a much greater role than Sony. (In fact, SEGA/YSnet/Shibuya Productions formed the agreement to use the Shenmue licence before Sony was ever involved) [20] [21] [22]

System specs

(Placeholder and subject to change.)

Minimum:

OS: Windows 7x64, Windows 8x64, Windows 10x64 (64-bit OS Required)
Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 (3.40 GHz) or better; Quad-core or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti or better (DirectX 11 card & VRAM 2GB Required)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband internet connection
Storage: 100 GB available space
Sound card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
Additional Info: Requires Steam Client to activate.

---

UPDATES LOG:

[***RESERVED***]
Last edited by ShenGCH on Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:14 am, edited 99 times in total.
ShenGCH has received 18 thanks from: gillian_seed, Giorgio, Hanzumon, Hazuki00, Kindled_One, Kiske, Let's Get Sweaty, Mr357, Niowiad, O Rei do Frango Assado, punkmanced, redline, shredingskin, SledgeNE, Switch, Truck_1_0_1_, VukBZ2005, Yokosuka
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
After Burner...Great!
Joined: January 2006Location: United KingdomFavorite title: Shenmue

The meaning behind the "He shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea..." prologue poem, as well as Ryo and Shenhua's roles in the prophecy, will finally be revealed

Well that didn't happen did it lol

It's kind of sad to see what Yu promised for the story and then compare it to what he delivered. Not blaming anyone, just stating the facts. Here we go.

Story

- Yu Suzuki describes the game as "a kung-fu adventure that takes place in China" [1]

Alright.

- The game's "key points," according to Yu Suzuki, are "romance, characters' life and martial arts." Where romance is concerned, Yu Suzuki would like to portray the differences between how men and women think [4] [39]
Don't know about that one. What was the romantic part going to be? Characters and especially characters development are one of the main flaws of the game. Martial Arts, ok. I guess that one counts as fulfilled.

- According to Yu Suzuki, Shenmue III will begin from Chapter Six of the story's eleven planned chapters, and will "mark the end of this story," but will not be the end of the story. In a 2018 interview with GamersFlag, Yu Suzuki stated, "the end will be open for a sequel," suggesting Shenmue III might end on a cliffhanger [33]
Well that didn't happen. At least it's open for a sequel though.

- Shenmue III's story begins the day after the conclusion of Shenmue II [9]
Didn't happen. Shenhua still magically changed her clothes because who cares? :ROFLMAO:

- Ryo, while still angry and thirsty for revenge, will grow and mature a lot throughout the game. Those he meets along the way, particularly where martial arts is concerned, will be largely responsible for this [5]
That didn't happen. He still goes "I WILL avenge my father" when he meets Lan Di and "Lan Diiiiii! Don't you run awaaaaaayyyyy!" when he walks on the Great Wall, even though Lan Di completely dismantled him just before. Run away from whom? Ryo? :ROFLMAO:

- The meaning behind the "He shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea..." prologue poem, as well as Ryo and Shenhua's roles in the prophecy, will finally be revealed [1]
That didn't happen. Ryo and Shenhua were too busy playing the stupid faces game to be bothered about the prophecy. Also Shenhua didn't want to talk to her father about how he's doing or the letter or anything for that matter after they saved him.

- Yu Suzuki has stated he would like to keep Shenhua as "a mysterious character" [38]
I guess she's still kind of mysterious.

- Ryo will not return home to Japan in Shenmue 3.
Ok.

4 main bosses and major role for Niao Sun
Nope. Only two Chiyoumen leaders and Niao Sun hanging around Niaowu and kidnapping Shenhua is irrelevant to the plot. Niao Sun only becomes relevant during the last 5 minutes of the game and isn't even introduced by name.

2 Mid-level bosses
Yes, Yanlang and Longqi Ge.

Also, Shuqin Zhang was supposed to be in the game (there were screenshots of him in what appeared to be Niaowu) but he’s not in the game.
1575197964520.jpeg
1575197993788.jpeg

Wasn’t there some concept art of Ryo in a kenpogi outfit overlooking a village? And a qte sequence of him jumping on rocks to pass a river?

That was cut aswell.

I was banned yesterday. Told the ban would expire at 21:00 PM. Later on, I had been banned permanently, due the fact it didn't have had an expire schedule. Made a tweet. Got disbanned. But sadly, i won't post anymore in here. I didn't even know what "spanning the forum" I did. I just criticized Shenmue 3. Here. A Shenmue 3 forum. I was never banned from anything, especially for nothing. Neither attack anyone. So, Shenmue greetings to everyone. Was a good ride.

Back