Can Sony actually fix the PS3's CMOS battery issue for once?

For once? You mean can they fix it? Odds are it won't get fixed by this point. PS4's CMOS battery issue was resolved and if they didn't send out the fix for PS3 at the same time... then it won't happen. I recommend that while some connection to the Playstation servers are still available for PS3 that you change out your CMOS battery NOW, have your system connect to the servers and then you should have an additional 15 years to play your PS3 games on a PS3.

Alternatively, you also have the ability to repurchase many of your PS3 favorites for PS4 and then you won't have the issue.

For once? You mean can they fix it? Odds are it won't get fixed by this point. PS4's CMOS battery issue was resolved and if they didn't send out the fix for PS3 at the same time... then it won't happen. I recommend that while some connection to the Playstation servers are still available for PS3 that you change out your CMOS battery NOW, have your system connect to the servers and then you should have an additional 15 years to play your PS3 games on a PS3.

Alternatively, you also have the ability to repurchase many of your PS3 favorites for PS4 and then you won't have the issue.
Fucking planned obsolescense. May that company rot in hell.

from what i understand the ps3 servers are staying up, so you can change your battery in the future if needed.

im not desperate to open my sealed ps3 slim to replace the battery. i only got it last year to replace my dead fat ps3.. my ps3 slim is pretty much unused.
.. if it wasn't for the mgs games(physical discs)/ resident evil 2/3 (digital), i would probably ditch my ps3.

Last edited:
.. if it wasn't for the mgs games(physical discs)/ resident evil 2/3 (digital), i would probably ditch my ps3.
That's what I did. I saw how many PS3 games were being remastered on PS4 and only wanted the one system hooked up to the TV. When enough of my favorites had ports, I ended up selling my PS3 and its collection and rebuying the PS4 versions. It was the gen of consolidation for me as favorite Dreamcast and even Gamecube games came to the PS4. Freed up a lot of storage space. Heck... even favorite 8 and 16bit games are now on or coming to PS4 including Act Raiser, Ninja Turtles collection, Double Dragon, etc.

That's what I did. I saw how many PS3 games were being remastered on PS4 and only wanted the one system hooked up to the TV. When enough of my favorites had ports, I ended up selling my PS3 and its collection and rebuying the PS4 versions. It was the gen of consolidation for me as favorite Dreamcast and even Gamecube games came to the PS4. Freed up a lot of storage space. Heck... even favorite 8 and 16bit games are now on or coming to PS4 including Act Raiser, Ninja Turtles collection, Double Dragon, etc.
the problem with mgs games is that mgs1 is stuck on the ps3 and while you can get mgs 2/3 HD + mgs4 on psnow for the ps4 / ps5, your at the mercy of playstation. last year the mgs hd collection was pulled from digital sale + psnow because of some licensing issue. i think it back up now but just an example of how quickly something could get removed.

Last edited:
Sony needs to fix the issue NOW while they can. Apparently some people cannot play certain games because it "expired" on the PS3. Sony should both fix that and the CMOS issue like right now.

Last edited:
Excuse for the double posting but apparently some people cannot play certain games because it "expired" on the PS3. Sony should both fix that and the CMOS issue like right now.

regarding ps3 games, apparently the metal gear solid games are still not for sale digitally. for me, that just highlights the importance of physical games.

I would help, but I can't see that good on my right eye but im not blind, I usually do stuff that involves modding of software, OS recovery, etc.

My suggestion is try not to unplug the PS3's power supply if possible, sorry if this went in the wrong topic, i tried my best.

Back