Bugs so far

I decided to put a thread up so we can all note the bugs. Hopefully these can be addressed in a major patch.

For PS4

Lucky Hit stands glitch to where you can't see where you drop the ball.going down just goes through the floor.

I think glitches that need to be addressed-

- Ability to skip/forward dialogue by pressing square button. It allows you to do this if you speak a second time to a character but resets the next day.

- There’s a reticle during cutscenes, which you can forward by holding down circle button. There should be ability to pause cutscenes

- Increase the timing window for QTE's. They are way too short and I can't believe this wasn't remedied during play testing.

- In Niaowu a few times moving from one area to another music failed to load in (found this happened a few times around new paradise)

What I would like-

- Ability to customize, disable HUD elements. There should be a cinematic mode where clock, stamina gauge and action HUD is invisible and tapping touchpad bring this up.

Edit: Added QTE timing window

Last edited:
Careful SPOILER here but this is to report a bug / slight crash. I have to give a story point so people know where it occurs.

There's a moment in Niaowu after the big QTE with the
2 Red Snakes and bumping into Ren
where if you let the clock hit 9 and the game has to transport you back to the hotel the game goes black after the loading screen. So it's not a crash per se but there's no sound either and the game application is still running. In fact it does come back when the day ends at 11 as my screen came back on to go to bed or save.

However as long as you manually go back into the hotel before 9 you should be fine.

I've had a few moments where music wouldn't load in, but I couldn't tell if that was intentional? Like at Sunflower Grove, when you're down by the water the music cuts out and the ambience takes over...I assume it's intentional. But I've also had other moments where the music has cut out too where I know for a fact there was music before.

The only other thing I've really noticed is a fair bit of clipping.

I'm actually surprised how well it's been running so far. But I haven't been purposely trying to break it either.

I've had a few moments where music wouldn't load in, but I couldn't tell if that was intentional? Like at Sunflower Grove, when you're down by the water the music cuts out and the ambience takes over...I assume it's intentional. But I've also had other moments where the music has cut out too.

The only other thing I've really noticed is a fair bit of clipping. But it's not a deal breaker.

I had same thing in that area, I’ve seen when you are at the edge of areas often music wil stop and you will just get to enjoy the ambient and environmental noises (which are fantastic). Again not sure if it’s intentional as in Niaowu in one area in particular music fails to load like every one of of five times so I definitely feel it’s a bug.

I'm actually surprised how well it's been running so far.
[/QUOTE

Yes overall I agree although I do wish on the PS4 pro it didn’t run at uncapped framerate.

I've had random music changes:

Chopping wood in Bailu - Changing randomly between the cool wood cutting theme and then the exploration theme. Awful.

Shenhua's house - Wake up in the morning and then lock onto anything in the house.... Shenmue 2 'night' music plays. Strange.

I've had random music changes:

Chopping wood in Bailu - Changing randomly between the cool wood cutting theme and then the exploration theme. Awful.

Um, that's not a bug. It's a reward and you get two different tunes depending if you get 'very good' or 'perfect' grade.

I've noticed jerky camera shot changes during cutscenes all the way throughout my playthrough. It seems like the camera wants to change to another angle for cinematic purposes bit ends up cutting to a shot that's almost identical to what was showing except the camera has jumped ever so slightly away. Anyone else noticed this.?

I've noticed jerky camera shot changes during cutscenes all the way throughout my playthrough. It seems like the camera wants to change to another angle for cinematic purposes bit ends up cutting to a shot that's almost identical to what was showing except the camera has jumped ever so slightly away. Anyone else noticed this.?

Yep i have this to too. On every cut-scene it jerks when going back to Ryo, very annoying and cant believe it wasn't spotted in testing!

Yep i have this to too. On every cut-scene it jerks when going back to Ryo, very annoying and cant believe it wasn't spotted in testing!
First hour into gameplay and it’s really my only complaint is the jerky cut scenes, I’m trying my best to ignore it.

I had same thing in that area, I’ve seen when you are at the edge of areas often music wil stop and you will just get to enjoy the ambient and environmental noises (which are fantastic). Again not sure if it’s intentional as in Niaowu in one area in particular music fails to load like every one of of five times so I definitely feel it’s a bug.

That I believe is DEFINITELY intentional, as this happens to me at every transitional point.

If its happening to a bunch of us and the same way, I think it's programmed that way ;)

A minor one: Near the beginning, if you take too long the game will force you to run where Shenhua is waiting for you. Ryo can then proceed to get stuck on an object (in my case, a boulder) and continue running into it for about a minute straight.
Thankfully it eventually forces the next cut scene so it isn't a soft lock, just comedic.

Everything tested on regular PS4 :

- Grabing a Trifoliate Orange cause the screen to black out, it's the only "herb" causing this, I think it's to hide the regular herb grabbing animation (it would look weird since it's a fruit, it does not have roots) I wonder why they don't simply use the animation Ryo does when he grab any other fruits/objects.

- I got the camera to freak out for a few secs going down the Verdant Bridge to talk to Liu I got very close to him for some reasons.

- regular PS4 with OG 500HDD pretty full (less than 100gb left), running fast from one place to another in Bailu sometimes cause the NPC to not show up in time (dreamcast style), very rarely they don't show up at all, I have to walk away and turn around to make them appear.

in the area with the second "Shenmue" tree where Shenhua takes a rest there's a path on the back leading to an herb, taking the herb replace the music playing in the area with the regular one playing pretty much everywhere, I think the trigger line for the music is too close to the herb.

I spent a whole in-game afternoon fishing to catch a red catfish. I finally managed to get one, but as I was fishing it out of the water and its name appeared, I hit the 5:30pm limit and was taken out of the minigame and the red catfish wasn't recognized. Grrr

You can't sell capsules or items at the exchange shops if you have items anything after the 2nd page in your inventory. It won't allow you to sell them.

Sometimes I got charged twice a day for my stay in the hotel....I think..

Sometimes running over spots which previously had herbs (but you since picked up) will briefly flash the herb up again and then disappear just as quickly.

Yep, the 2nd page inventory selling bug is a bit of a nightmare.

On PC, I got very bad stuttering in the first cutscene with the wine and buns master, but it was raining, and I suspect that's why.

It doesn't fall under a bug, but they really needed to add a half second onto QTEs in cutscenes. It was a disappointing learning exercise every time, and not an enjoyable interactive cutscene.

Careful SPOILER here but this is to report a bug / slight crash. I have to give a story point so people know where it occurs.

There's a moment in Niaowu after the big QTE with the
2 Red Snakes and bumping into Ren
where if you let the clock hit 9 and the game has to transport you back to the hotel the game goes black after the loading screen. So it's not a crash per se but there's no sound either and the game application is still running. In fact it does come back when the day ends at 11 as my screen came back on to go to bed or save.

However as long as you manually go back into the hotel before 9 you should be fine.

After the fight when Ren pretty much gets KO'ed too alongside Ryo i had this same error. It was when he said they had to storm the base together.

It doesn't fall under a bug, but they really needed to add a half second onto QTEs in cutscenes. It was a disappointing learning exercise every time, and not an enjoyable interactive cutscene.

It’s really surprising the QTE’s were play tested and approved in its current state. At first I thought the ridiculously short timing window was because I was playing on hard only later realizing most players on lower difficulty reporting same issues. It’s something that definitely needs to be patched.

Back