Boat trip

The anime gives them the opportunity to adapt the short comics that was available some years ago, especially the boat trip. Looking forward to Chai getting his ass beaten again

I actually am one of the few fans that doesn’t particularly care for the missing boat chapter.

I thought Chai’s arc was neatly concluded at the end of the first game and in all honesty all his subsequent appearances feel superfluous.

Only like to perhaps see an in-engine cutscene of the Shenmue2x comics panels. Loved how he appeared in Shenmue 3 and were QTE battles since Ryo already had proven stronger at ending of of Shenmue ch1 with free battle. Mightve even been cool to free battle in Bailu agains Chai again, at least.

I think the boat chapter would be insubstantial in the grand scheme. Like @code l name mentioned, it seems Chai's arc is wrapped up pretty nicely at the end of S1. Also, the boat departure/arrival is a pretty clean story break from the end of S1 to the start of S2, and I honestly think it would be "too much Chai" at that point.

Thinking about it a bit more, how did the boat ride take up an entire chapter anyways? As in, how would it have had the same amount of story content as the entirety of Shenmue 1?

Last edited:
After seeing the 3rd episode, I think they won’t include it. They are going fast and adding things I think will be interesting for the future of the series. This chapter clearly is not.

Although in game form I don’t think it would have added much, in terms of the anime I really liked @spud1897 idea of moving Chai fight from the harbour to the boat
Ahh yeah, I think that could actually work pretty well. I like the idea of Chai being a more stealthy and hidden presence who chooses his moments when you least expect it. So tracking down Ryo on the boat and having a surprise attack take place there instead of the harbor makes a lot of sense to me. Then while the fight is taking place you can have the obligatory "prophecy retelling", just like in EP1, which then closes the episode.

Back