Best Generation of Gaming

Whats the best/fav generation of gaming?

• Gen 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gen 2

• Gen 3

• Gen 4

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Gen 5

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Gen 6

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Gen 7

• Gen 8

• Gen 9

• Total voters
Not to mention Nintendo which didn't even enter the race yet. Switch is last gen.

Switch is current gen (PS5, XSeries being direct competitors.) Wii-U was their last gen system (competitors being PS4 and X1). So many forget about the horribly (and rightfully) failed Wii-U.

Sorry, but Wikipedia can be edited by anyone making it unreliable and it's factually incorrect to state Switch is 8th gen when Wii-U was. Work backwards with me and I'll display competitors over time.

9th Gen -- Switch --- PS5, XSeries
8th Gen -- Wii-U --- PS4, X1
7th Gen -- Wii --- PS3, 360
6th Gen -- Gamecube --- PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast
5th Gen -- N64 --- PS1, Saturn
4th Gen -- SNES --- Genesis
3rd Gen -- NES --- Master System

Whatever Nintendo has up their sleeves for next gen will technically be their 10th gen hardware.

Gen 6 easily. So many amazing, unique and fun games. And every single system, despite their flaws, brought their absolute A game and killed it that generation. It's the only gen where I have owned all major home console platforms at one time or another (and the original Xbox is the only one I don't still have).

By the way, what generation is the Switch in? That really confuses me, as the Wii U was their 8th gen console.

I agree, I usually only choose two consoles per generation. Even though PS2 waffle stomped everyone in terms of sales the 6th generation was A+ from every hardware manufacturer.

Sorry, but Wikipedia can be edited by anyone making it unreliable and it's factually incorrect to state Switch is 8th gen when Wii-U was. Work backwards with me and I'll display competitors over time.

9th Gen -- Switch --- PS5, XSeries
8th Gen -- Wii-U --- PS4, X1
7th Gen -- Wii --- PS3, 360
6th Gen -- Gamecube --- PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast
5th Gen -- N64 --- PS1, Saturn
4th Gen -- SNES --- Genesis
3rd Gen -- NES --- Master System

Whatever Nintendo has up their sleeves for next gen will technically be their 10th gen hardware.
I think it's best to consider it as a player in both generations.

Wii U spanned from 2012-2017.
Switch spanned from 2017-Ongoing.

PS4 launched in 2013 and is ongoing.
XB1 launched in 2013 and sort of ongoing.

So for half of generation 8, Nintendo was competing with the Wii U. For the second half of gen 8, they were competing with the Switch. But the Switch is still going strong and directly competing with PS5 and XSX and until it is succeeded by a new machine its relevance and placement within the ninth generation still feels meaningful.

In terms of technology, it is absolutely a "last gen" machine. But in terms of culture and market placement, I don't think it makes sense to say it's outmoded when it simply is not.

So for half of generation 8, Nintendo was competing with the Wii U. For the second half of gen 8, they were competing with the Switch. But the Switch is still going strong and directly competing with PS5 and XSX and until it is succeeded by a new machine its relevance and placement within the ninth generation still feels meaningful.

In terms of technology, it is absolutely a "last gen" machine. But in terms of culture and market placement, I don't think it makes sense to say it's outmoded when it simply is not.
Here's the thing, I understand your logic but it's flawed. For instance... every Playstation has had 10 or more years of shelf life. That doesn't mean each console was foggy on which gen it was a part of.

PS1 - 1995- 2005
PS2 - 2000 - 2014 <-- shocking
PS3 - 2006 - 2020 <-- also shocking
PS4 - 2013 - 20?? <-- still going
PS5 - 2020 - 20??

Regardless of overlap, we all agree what generation each Playstation is a part of.

For Nintendo, they were forced to cut the lifespan of the Wii-U short due to horrible sales. For all intents and purposes, the Wii-U was looking like their Dreamcast. They had to think quick and thus, they started R&D on the Switch quickly as a successor to not share Sega's fate. Luckily for Nintendo as well as the rest of us, combining their home and handheld markets into the Switch paid off and it became widely successful.

As for Switch technologically being a last gen machine, we can all agree on that but Nintendo opted after Gamecube to focus less on hardware specs and more on different ways to play. Thus, starting with the Wii, they were always technologically a generation behind their competition.

Kind of like choosing mama or papa but I sniffed the results, 4gen is losing so my vote goes for Mega drive.
Its not a reasoned vote just cheese and emotion
You say Sega Mega Drive I hear

Switch is current gen. Fact.

It's not disputable.

Here's the thing, I understand your logic but it's flawed. For instance... every Playstation has had 10 or more years of shelf life. That doesn't mean each console was foggy on which gen it was a part of.

PS1 - 1995- 2005
PS2 - 2000 - 2014 <-- shocking
PS3 - 2006 - 2020 <-- also shocking
PS4 - 2013 - 20?? <-- still going
PS5 - 2020 - 20??

Regardless of overlap, we all agree what generation each Playstation is a part of.

For Nintendo, they were forced to cut the lifespan of the Wii-U short due to horrible sales. For all intents and purposes, the Wii-U was looking like their Dreamcast. They had to think quick and thus, they started R&D on the Switch quickly as a successor to not share Sega's fate. Luckily for Nintendo as well as the rest of us, combining their home and handheld markets into the Switch paid off and it became widely successful.

As for Switch technologically being a last gen machine, we can all agree on that but Nintendo opted after Gamecube to focus less on hardware specs and more on different ways to play. Thus, starting with the Wii, they were always technologically a generation behind their competition.

Wii U wasn't Sega's Dreamcast, the Dreamcast was actually good system unlike the Wii U.

gen 5 (ps1) got me through my miserable school experience. everyday after school i pretty much zoned out infront of my ps1.

gen 6 was fun. i was around 17 and was able to buy myself all 4 main consoles, so i got to play all the best games of that gen. everything about gaming back then was looking up , games and graphics were getting better.. we have had some amazing games since the early 2000s but i don't really think gaming is where i thought it would be today.. one or two really good AAA games a year is not great, i thought in the future every new game would be 9/10 lol

Last edited:
Back