Backing up my save file on Shenmue 3 (Steam version)

I'm looking to take a break from Shenmue 3 as it's really addictive (in a good way, but still). I also need the hard disk space for a project. I was hoping to just uninstall and reinstall it later, but having problems backing up my save files.
I know there'sn a thread from 2019 asking about the save file, but on my system things are different. The folder location specified in that thread doesn't exist on my PC (and yes I did already try turning on Hidden Files). I install things on my second internal hard drive as the first one doesn't have much room. Essentially, my Shenmue 3 files appear to be here : E:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\ShenmueIII
(This is what comes up when I click on Browse Local Files from the Steam library page)

I've had a look and can't find any files ending in .sav. Does anyone have any ideas what the save files might be called on my machine? Also I did a check to see if my Shenmue 3 saves are being backed up on the cloud and it isn't

My Shenmue III save files on WIN10 are in this folder:

C:\Users\"your user name"\AppData\Local\Shenmue3\Saved\SaveGames

Single files in this folder looks like this -> Slot765611980443948362.sav

Just copy the Shenmue3 folder and remember where to put it next time.

I'm thinking of buying a Steamdeck. Really hoping someone is able to help with this!

Thanks to the above user, but I have posted where my Shenmue 3 files are located on my PC and sadly they are in a different location from this user (did allude they were in an unusual place. I'm not sure why my format is different but it is)

I'm wondering if anyone is able to shed some light, as I would really love to use my current save file on the Steamdeck, should I buy it!

Update everyone!

thedemon1238, I'm so sorry. I feel like a right eejit!​

I didn't think to check my literal C drive as most of my Steam and game files are saved on my E drive. I did go ahead and buy a Steamdeck and after half an hour of rummaging around discovered that my files are, indeed, where everyone else's files are.​

A thousand apologies all​

I've never been so pleased to be wrong before. So looking forward to playing Shenmue 3 on my Deck!!

*edits* I also struggled to find where to put it in my Steamdeck. In the end I managed to find the right folder, which is located here :

home/deck/.steam/steamapps/compatdata/878670/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/Local/Shenmue3/Saved/SaveGames

Last edited:
Back