Are Shenmue 1 & 2 PC saves tied to Steam account or not?

Hi I was wondering whether or not Shenmue 1 or 2 saves are tied to the steam account it was made with or not as I recently recreated a streamers playthrough/save of Shenmue 2 after he lost his original save upgrading Windows and am wondering if he could use the save without modification?

If you own the game legitimately on steam and don't know but wouldn't mind help me test if it works here is link to the save...

make sure you manual backup your own saves and turn off steam cloud and/or you probably going to need start the game and then create a new save and then overwrite the new save with my save before it will work...

also the save is early in the game in the middle of search for the Four Wude in South Carmain and in front of the lucky hit stand where you can get the part time job...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yu9lyygppF_uL8ASSMrwoRa1BwcCdoov

Last edited:
Afaik, the save isn't tied to the Steam account in any way. The only relation Steam has to the save files is acting like Dropbox - it syncs your saves with its cloud storage - so much so that a few days ago I tweaked a save and when I tried to restore the backup from my disk it kept getting overwritten by the cloud's. In practical terms, I've exchanged saves with other people and it woks fine.

Afaik, the save isn't tied to the Steam account in any way. The only relation Steam has to the save files is acting like Dropbox - it syncs your saves with its cloud storage - so much so that a few days ago I tweaked a save and when I tried to restore the backup from my disk it kept getting overwritten by the cloud's. In practical terms, I've exchanged saves with other people and it woks fine.

okay so you have been able to use other peoples Shenmue 1 and 2 saves?

I'm just asking as there some games like Dead or Alive 5 Last Round where the save files is tied to the account and in order to use a save file created with another account you need to modify save to match you account...

Back