A reflection about Shenmue II OST - "The Morning Fog's Wave" and Wong character

if you played the game for the hidden content, you will remember that after Ryo's bag is stolen, if you enter the fishing store Ryo will see a photo of Wong and the owner tells a bit more about the character, that he gave the fishing rod to Wong and he gave him a photo in exchange to proudly show he caught a fish, and he will show worry about how Wong is a thief that picks pockets

the other hidden scenes you can trigger are Wong eating ice cream he bought with the stolen money from Ryo's bag with other kids or spending the stolen money in a toy capsule

After the chase scene Wong throws marble balls to slow Ryo down but is caught by him (after the fight with gang members), some dialogue will happen if you talk to him while walking to where the bag is hidden and Wong will say he steals for living and he never had a chance to meet his father and mother, then he tells Ryo he lives on a boat, so he doesnt have a house or family, a reality very different from the life Ryo had grown up in Japan

Later Wong will show up again in his boat

the whole context where this song plays, the place, the character living alone all by his own at such young age and wanting to have company of a family member so he wont be alone anymore, the song is more about Wong than Ryo as its Wong who wakes up every morning in that boat to that fog and go out to fight in the streets for living

When Ryo is handcuffed with Ren in Kowloon and Wong shows up again to free them, he wants Ren to promise to bring Ryo back to Wan Chai so its implied he wants this so Ryo will be like his older brother

Before the fight with Don Niu and Don is about to throw Wong from the rooftop, its not Ryo who saves Wong, but he bites the arm of Don and escapes alone, so hes kinda used to being in dangerous situations and surviving

How many kids like Wong are out there seeing the morning fog as the first thing they see after awake?

Good job pointing it out, but I knew that all along ;)

One thing though always has me confused: why does everyone write, "Don," Niu?

It's "Dou Niu," and it always has been.
Perhaps part of it is the pronunciation, esp. as the "beloved" English voice actors tend to run it together as Doniu.

If only one of the thirsty S3 grannies said his name, we'd all be set straight (maybe even Yuan!)

Good job pointing it out, but I knew that all along ;)

One thing though always has me confused: why does everyone write, "Don," Niu?

It's "Dou Niu," and it always has been.

I think hes not very likeable so I didnt paid enough attention to his name (as I did for the others) and I only realized its Dou Niu now that you mentioned it

I still have trouble writing Xiuying first name

Last edited:
Back