A History and Review of EVERY Shenmue Game

Damn, I will have to watch it interruptus, in episodes. So far so good SM! Im at early still, you should spam some Cvs to your local radio stations. Warm voice almost Radio Emotion Gtavc.

Wow, this is a fantastic watch, and really smoothly edited. I too am still watching through at the moment but I had to jump back here to congratulate you on putting together such a well-researched documentary. (I loved the "registered-trademark Coca Cola" line & the Wang's brother easter egg!). Cheers for the blog mentions! Excuse me as I continue on with the rest...

Finally got the time to give this a watch and I have to say you did a fantastic job! A very well reserched history of the series and with even a lot of stuff I haven't heard about before. The video is obviously very long but your editing is very fluid and well paced so you don't really feel it, I don't know how much experence you have with editing but if you're new than it was very impresive! Great video and I'll be sure to send it to some friends I know will be interested.

Finally got the time to give this a watch and I have to say you did a fantastic job! A very well reserched history of the series and with even a lot of stuff I haven't heard about before. The video is obviously very long but your editing is very fluid and well paced so you don't really feel it, I don't know how much experence you have with editing but if you're new than it was very impresive! Great video and I'll be sure to send it to some friends I know will be interested.
Thank you! I had a tiny bit of editing experience from like, 2012 haha, so it was basically like starting from scratch.

Well done video. I am not sure why the lack of pause button in Shenmue 3 bothered you that much, but I must confess I hope they better configure the button layout and UI in a prospective Shenmue 4.

Well done video. I am not sure why the lack of pause button in Shenmue 3 bothered you that much, but I must confess I hope they better configure the button layout and UI in a prospective Shenmue 4.
It bothered me because it's just an easy, simple, and standard thing to include in a game that it just baffled me that it wasn't there, I do mention at the end of my rant that it isn't actually a big deal, I'm just dumbfounded by it not being there lol.

It bothered me because it's just an easy, simple, and standard thing to include in a game that it just baffled me that it wasn't there, I do mention at the end of my rant that it isn't actually a big deal, I'm just dumbfounded by it not being there lol.

Oh I certainly agree with that. It’s clear the game really would have benefited from someone with UI experience to help create greater consistency with menus, fonts, splash screens and more traditional button configuration. Like you said I think given small nature of team, it was omitted.

By the way and I’m sure it’s been discussed in lead up to the game and I’m sure someone can chime in here. I don’t think Suzuki ever had option of bringing the VF engine for the games combat. I can’t recall if they ever got as far as investigating the licensing costs and updating the engine to make it compatible with UE4 or knew from the jump it just wasn’t possible.
I also think it’s a little disingenuous to say the game pushes you towards 5 preset moves with automatic transmission.

I first played the game in hard mode and found myself generally gravitating to manual mode because I kept having to get out of AT mode when training new moves otherwise they would level up. I found spacing and being able to effectively counter attack and seek openings enjoyable but obviously with large areas to improve.

Last edited:
I was inspired by your coverage of What's Shenmue in this video to try to find out who Yoshio Goto was and managed to dig up some info. It turns out he was a TV producer involved in part of the Dreamcast console campaign in Japan - link to the post.
Fantastic work! I'm glad this mystery is finally solved. I added your blog in my pinned comment on the video as well.

Hey, that was a phenomenal video. It's rare these days that I have the attention span to sit through a 20 minute youtube video, let alone a 2 hour video, but I just watched and listened to it all this afternoon.

I have a small piece of feedback though. There were moments where I noticed sibilance when you were speaking that irritated my ears. You might want to try something to avoid that, like a de-esser.

Otherwise though, great stuff! Thanks for posting that. I really enjoyed listening to your views and the deep dive you did into the development of each title (plus Shenmue Online etc).

Hey, that was a phenomenal video. It's rare these days that I have the attention span to sit through a 20 minute youtube video, let alone a 2 hour video, but I just watched and listened to it all this afternoon.

I have a small piece of feedback though. There were moments where I noticed sibilance when you were speaking that irritated my ears. You might want to try something to avoid that, like a de-esser.

Otherwise though, great stuff! Thanks for posting that. I really enjoyed listening to your views and the deep dive you did into the development of each title (plus Shenmue Online etc).
Thanks for watching! And thanks for your feedback, I'll look into that.

Thanks for watching! And thanks for your feedback, I'll look into that.

No problem. I hope it didn't come across as harsh, because I genuinely really enjoyed watching your series review. Had to subscribe to start watching some of your other videos. I didn't notice the sibilance until later on in the video, but it was one of those things where once I noticed it I couldn't stop noticing it.

Back