12 Riveting Shenmue Development Revelations | Morio Ashizuka

Switch

Shenmue analysis at www.phantomriverstone.com
In this post I've translated selected tweets made in recent years by a former Shenmue developer who goes by the name of Morio Ashizuka (a pseudonym). He worked chiefly on character motion capture animations.

They're are a neat behind-the-scenes peek into the development of the first two games, with some of the anecdotes mentioning Yu Suzuki's directions and reactions to the developer's work.
  • Dyeing Yuan's Hair for Muecas
  • NPC Recyling in Shenmue II's Opening Scene
  • Ryo Hazuki The Walking Legend
  • Shenmue I's Opening Scene Polish
  • Character Skeleton Changes from Shenmue I to II
  • Round-the-Clock Debugging
  • Reuse of Ryo Hazuki's Bowing Motion
  • Shenmue I's Bad Ending Created In One Night
  • Ryo's "Cola Face"
  • Joy's Original Costume Design & Motorcycle Branding
  • Fuku-san Avoided a Kidnapping
  • A Comedic Version of What's Shenmue
  • Yu's Favorite Character in Shenmue I

Article:
https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2023/01/12-riveting-shenmue-development.html

g1088.jpg

joy-honda2.jpg

Some really cool stuff! I think a lot of us back in the day noticed the blue tracksuit guy popping up constantly - he even follows Ryo on the bus to Kowloon, which feels like a continuation of the joke :giggle:
kowloon-bus-final.png

This is the guy, by the way:

That was very nice read. Thanks a lot for provoding the info switch. Awesome work as usual.

Awesome work as usual @Switch

A couple of things stood out to me -

- I guess I completely missed the 2018 pannel where they discussed the original plan on Fukusan being kidnapped over Nozomi. I never knew this but I think they definitely made the right choice in changing who gets kidnapped.

- I guess we know why Chai is in Shenmue 3 even though it felt really tacked on and superfluous. Here's hoping Suzuki's obsession with the character ends there.

- This quote jumped out at me about Ryo-

Ryo, Shenmue's main character, isn't all that powerful. But he is destined to become a master, so Yu-san said we have to show a hint of that in his movements from his youth. When he walks, his central bisecting line must remain steady! And he must walk without bending his knees! Lastly, he told me to create movements that convey a sense of legend... Shenmue isn't easy

While Ryo has shown aptitude towards martial arts, a master and legend? I can't see him achieving this without some sort of time-skip. Interesting hint at where Ryo's journey ultimately leads to?

While Ryo has shown aptitude towards martial arts, a master and legend? I can't see him achieving this without some sort of time-skip. Interesting hint at where Ryo's journey ultimately leads to?
Well seen, code. This leads me to the always intriguing question "Will we see an aged Ryo at some point?".
In the hero's journey we're at the brink of the darkest cavern, a metaphorical figure for a horrible event that will totally transform Ryo.
In previous takes on the monomyth the transformation is rarely seen without some time lapse/skip (Ulises, Frodo, Luke Skywalker, Son Goku, Beatrix Kiddo, Eren Jaegger..).
I wonder how this time skip would be applied into the narrative.
It is awkward that I both like and dislike a "X years later..." transition?

Well picked up on, it feels like there's definitely a hint there, particularly as his current youth is mentioned in comparison.

I don't think we've seen anything suggesting it before now, for example in the chapter tiles artwork Yu revealed at the 2014 GDC, so I suppose it may not necessarily be part of the main story.

Ach, First Love is SUCH a better song than Wish. I guess Wish adds to the goofy, Japanese charm (while First Love is a polished and better-produced song, clearly), but IMO that was a miss on the devs' parts...

Great stuff, Switch! :D

After all this time I never realised blue tracksuit guy was in the Shenmue II opening multiple times, next time I do a play through I'm going to be on the lookout for him!

Poor Fuku-san...:crying::LOL:

Blue tracksuit guy is probably a spy for the Chiyoumen to watch Ryo and explains why he turns up everywhere and was on the same bus as Ryo!

Last edited:
@JP_ genious! Listen, you made me thought: Chai in disguise. Right?
Undercover Chai. Well, now take Yu Suzuki fixation with the character.
Yu Suzuki as undercover Chai lurking Shenmue Dojo. He is here.

Last edited:
Reactions: JP_
Actually, not only the guy in blue is the same in all cuts from the intro but also the granny in red and black AND the woman in white shirt with bluejeans.

I've always noticed that these were the same persons and I've always thought this was out of convenience coming from reusing the characters by the developers that made this intro.
I mean, when we all first saw this intro we were so astonished by the scope of the environments that we wouldn't have noticed anyway :D

Attachments

• s2-op.jpg
    s2-op.jpg
    809.3 KB · Views: 7
Actually, not only the guy in blue is the same in all cuts from the intro but also the granny in red and black AND the woman in white shirt with bluejeans.

I've always noticed that these were the same persons and I've always thought this was out of convenience coming from reusing the characters by the developers that made this intro.
I mean, when we all first saw this intro we were so astonished by the scope of the environments that we wouldn't have noticed anyway :D
They are copies of cats, Opel gingers.

Well seen, code. This leads me to the always intriguing question "Will we see an aged Ryo at some point?".
In the hero's journey we're at the brink of the darkest cavern, a metaphorical figure for a horrible event that will totally transform Ryo.
I still think Ryo's gonna get betrayed in Shenmue 4 by Ren. And he kidnaps Shenhua. Because...idk. He gets seduced by money?

Back