110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

Totally understandable. Moreover after reading his full response I don't even see a "reaaaaaally dont want to" but more precisely a simple and polite "please, lets stick to my new existing game" I mean, he doesn't sound pissed at all.

To be clear, I don't think the screenshots show the conversation the original tweet was referencing. That interview was from may, he apparently just got off the phone with Yu today.

If Apple is funding development and PR for the title, I can absolutely see them wanting to keep the attention on the current game and not the rest of Yu's work.

I don't think I'll get in trouble for this.

But speaking to Joel at YSNET the team have been working hard on Air Twister and don't want to divert focus elsewhere. That's all there is to it as far as I know.

It makes sense, new game, new platform etc. They need to focus in on this and then move attention to whatever is next.

In the Stephen Totilo thread, the Andy Robinson guy says it is "bad PR" not to want to talk about another game with much more interest.

Bad for whom? Some cookie cutter videogame website looking for clickbait like they already did with a misinterpreted quote from the Japan anime interview?

Last edited:
In the Stephen Totilo thread, the Andy Robinson guy says it is "bad PR" not to want to talk about another game with much more interest.

Bad for whom? Some cookie cutter videogame website looking for clickbait like they already did with a misinterpreted quote from the Japan anime interview?
Couldn't have said it better myself.

The tweet comes across as a bit snarky in my opinion. Of course we're desperate to know about Shenmue. Would I prefer Shenmue IV to Air Twister? Of course, but I don't blame him for wanting to do something a little different to flex his muscles. I think of this as a musical side project (Air Twister) to the main band (Shenmue).

It's actually pretty shocking that a majority of people are unaware (or unwilling) that Suzuki has has a career 99% of developers could only dream about *before* Shenmue.

Which is... exactly why he wants to focus on Air Twister and not talk about Shenmue atm? God this Andy guy seems rude and entitled as fuck, I feel sorry for Yu having to deal with people like this.
Funnily enough I think we had a arguement on Twitter with him about the Shenmue 4 misquotation. Says enough lol.

"My new game releases this week. let me speak about my other games instead to please some asshole journalist".

Im a massive shenmue fan, but Suzuki should not be discussing shenmue at all this week. Everythng should be air twister.

Common sense is dead
this reminds me of a certain company that keeps teasing new projects while forgetting to update us on the ones they teased before.

Im having a hard time to follow due to shitty connection but Im relieved Im not alone. Even me felt that approach out of place. Thought it was patronizing (is this the word?) with a Fuji Mountain like figure being Yu Suzuki. It also confirm what I read was a extremely polite answer by Yu.

Is exactly like you already said. If you have common sense specially if you consider yourself a fan (not Annie Wilkes kind) then you support developers creativity and toying. With this positive feedback is a fact you get happy devs, meaning i. e. Shenmue IV arriving later but also better.
Sorry it came long.
Or we can rush them into, well..rushed products. Better let devs be their own drivers. Developers, developers, developers.

Like Freddie said once replying to bad reviews about experimental Hot Space LP "We're playing around. Its just a fucking album for gods sake".

To be clear, I don't think the screenshots show the conversation the original tweet was referencing. That interview was from may, he apparently just got off the phone with Yu today.

May... Today... doesn't really matter, they are focusing on Air Twister and want to work on promoting that and not digress into Shenmue territory right now.

Even if he wasn't releasing a new game, I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to talk about Shenmue. Imagine any time you are being interviewed or spoken to by a fan and Shenmue is bought up every single time......for 20 years. I'm amazed he still has any passion for Shenmue at all, I think I would have grown to hate it if I was in his position.

He has a zillion other major games to his name he could talk about as well. Dude doesn't know what he's talking about. Framing an interview around the new game and Space Harrier? Maybe that'd work. Shenmue, not on topic. I don't blame anyone for asking about it, though... because I would.

He has a zillion other major games to his name he could talk about as well. Dude doesn't know what he's talking about. Framing an interview around the new game and Space Harrier? Maybe that'd work. Shenmue, not on topic. I don't blame anyone for asking about it, though... because I would.
And hardware achievements. We practically own him texture mapped 3d and mocap. Yeah... Being so nervous in front on him that I end doing/saying something stupid? Doable very doable. And realising a second afterwards too.

I think we also had enough "nostalgia" talks with Yu Suzuki...
We finally have a brand new game, a brand new genuine arcade game from the king of arcade (a rarity in a world made of indie imitations of the classics...), let's talk about air twister!

What I wanted from Yu Suzuki together with Shenmue 4 and 5, were a new Space Harrier (especially with VR) and a new Outrun.
And I'm grateful he was able to do a new "Space Harrier", I don't want Yu Suzuki to be "Shenmue only".

Also after the newest IGN gameplay video, I want to play Air Twister even more, the Apple exclusive is a tragedy for me.
If journalist want to pester Suzuki-san, than a "port begging" (lol) would be more useful right now :D

We have a brand new MOBILE arcade game, which is incredibly niche. I don't blame game journalists one bit for asking about Shenmue. That's what Yu is known for and what fans are interested in. Just like Yu has every right to refuse to comment on it, gaming outlets have every right to ask. It's not encouraging to see Yu shut down those questions, although not exactly discouraging either, as it does make sense he wants to focus on the present with Air Twist rather than Shenmue past or future.

"unfortunately" (for the modern world, journalists etc.) it's "only" an arcade game, and so it must be treated as something not worthy or secondary... :rolleyes:
The platform (Apple) make the things worse, but even if it was on console (and I really hope it will be ported), the average journalist would act the same: "yeah yeah nice minigame, where is Shenmue?".

I read this in 1 of 2 ways to be honest.

1. Personally, it seems a bit out of Character for Yu to not want to talk about Shenmue (especially this very upfront blunt statement), so I'm sure he has been told to only talk about Air Twister. This make sense to promote the game as it's right around the corner, and two, probably is contractually enforced by Apple. Apple are very strict in their approach to most things, so I'd assume that in their contact with Yu they would state specifically that he is NOT allowed to talk about other platforms, and by proxy Shenmue as it's on Steam/PSN etc, which are their direct competitors.

2. There could also be some influence from a potential Shenmue IV publisher in which he has been told to not mention Shenmue. We know how eager Yu has been in regards to hinting about things, most famously the E3 2015 Forklift tweet, which got him in trouble with Sony lol. If a publisher has indeed picked up Shenmue IV, they would most likely want to keep it a secret until it's officially announced for the biggest shock factor. Keeping Yu's lips sealed at this point would be very beneficial and could also be the reason for his statement.

Could be either or.

Back