110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

When I spoke to Cedric he said that the Kickstarter was always intended to be a one and done thing. We all saw the inaccurate stories from the media around it and also the communication issues around it.

I'd be very surprised if they did one for Shenmue 4. The media would eat it alive for starters. I can see the headlines now: "Yu Suzuki wants more money" , "Scam game wants more funds". I'm sure there would be plenty along those lines.

Well said. I also have the feeling that it would turn out that way.

Its really funny, that we as a gaming community are protecting that wholesome spark of the past. Sure, the parts of the media on YouTube etc. who called the production a scam or the game outdated, repetitive and dumb are very loud and the negativity is a magnet for clicks etc. especially in our current world situation, but in contrast what makes Shenmue (and I am also talking about the third entry) so special is that its refreshing and reminds us that artistry, love for a vision and long lost forgotten values are so damn import. It has so much heart.

That said, I hope that Number IV keeps the Shenmue Formula in the core of cores and expands it with new ideas as well. The best example, I think yu mentioned it in a late interview, Is that Ryo can Timeskip in the game by just resting on a park bench! Its a small one, but so lovely.

So dear Dojo! Keep up the good fight! Its really a special place here. And I can't wait for Shenmue4. It will be glorious day. 110 Industries, Private Funding, Secret Possibilities or what ever... Lets get it on.. ähh... lets get sweaty.

Can someone find the quote of the 110 dude saying they don't want to work with legacy IP? If that's real then it basically sinks the 110 ship

Can someone find the quote of the 110 dude saying they don't want to work with legacy IP? If that's real then it basically sinks the 110 ship
Believe it was caveated with "at the moment", which in any case I'm not sure would apply for a project that's years off anyway. Nothing's really changed, but the careful language and refusal to outright deny are worth thinking about.

But Shenmue keeps being legacy with a sequel released just a few years ago? I understand before S3 but not now. Not mainstream or trendy, ok but legacy..

Edit: maybe Im confusing concepts.
Legacy =/= abandoned

Yeah and there it goes. At this point I think we can safely get off the 110 hype train. Unless if anyone has insider info I'm pretty done with this company.

"We're not interested in working with legacy IP"

THEN WHY DO YOU KEEP TWEETING ABOUT IT??
Dont ragequit buddy, we can't afford to lose you NONE

C'mon Sergei, I know you lurk 'round here. Play along, throw us some peanut man

Dont ragequit buddy, we can't afford to lose you NONE
Personally I think Shemmue 4 will happen. And might actually be getting worked on as we speak. However I don't think 110 are behind any of it. 110 haven't just made tweets related to Shenmue, but they also outright stated they want to make a Virtua Fighter game. If that isn't a legacy IP I don't know what is. Also I'm pretty sure they had some other rumor going around about Ninja Garden. One that they denied which lends credence to the Shemmue thing being real. But STILL.

Personally I think Shemmue 4 will happen. And might actually be getting worked on as we speak. However I don't think 110 are behind any of it. 110 haven't just made tweets related to Shenmue, but they also outright stated they want to make a Virtua Fighter game. If that isn't a legacy IP I don't know what is. Also I'm pretty sure they had some other rumor going around about Ninja Garden. One that they denied which lends credence to the Shemmue thing being real. But STILL.
Wait what VF?? I missed that one... I agree with Spaghetti previous statement: corporate talking. They wisely used "at the moment", which its a fair vage term that can be used as joker card. They did seem to prefer novel companies, so they make that statement. But obviously, if for example Hideo Kojima (for using the tweet same figure) approach them to work together, they saying No? To working with Kojima? I don't believe it.
Edit : same for Yu Suzuki, you can appeal for novels as enterprise ethic code or whatever, but one of that caliber is just never rejected.
"Sorry, Mr. Scorcese but we work exclusively with novel directors."

Wait does Sergei actually stalk here?
I know nothing but he could be. I mean look at him, he looks naughty. And already made a mess with the teasing and Yu-san sayin about, I quote, "not being normal." lolol

Wait what VF?? I missed that one... I agree with Spaghetti previous statement: corporate talking. They wisely used "at the moment", which its a fair vage term that can be used as joker card. They did seem to prefer novel companies, so they make that statement. But obviously, if for example Hideo Kojima (for using the tweet same figure) approach them to work together, they saying No? To working with Kojima? I don't believe it.
Edit : same for Yu Suzuki, you can appeal for novels as enterprise ethic code or whatever, but one of that caliber is just never rejected.
"Sorry, Mr. Scorcese but we work exclusively with novel directors."

I know nothing but he could be. I mean look at him, he looks naughty. And already made a mess with the teasing and Yu-san sayin about, I quote, "not being normal." lolol
Where is this quote from lol

I think that if YsNet had to go a crowdfunded route (which I don't think will happen), they'd be better off going with a recurrent support model similar to Patreon rather than trying Kickstarter again. The blast of hype that propelled the Shenmue 3 KS just wouldn't be there and it would probably max out in the $2 - 3 million range.

Pitching instead for a few dollars a month from the dedicated fanbase I think would bring in more money over the course of development and allow them to offer a set of simple rewards that don't encounter the scope creep and confusion we saw with the Kickstarter reward tiers.

If they were to do a Kickstarter now would be the time. The Yen is incredibly weak against the Dollar and the conversion would be very favorable for a Japanese developer.

I do think this is just a case of 110 looking for clout, I mean the Shemmue dojo has 4k followers more than the official 110 account. I really want to believe they're making Shemmue 4 but I just see that they got what they wanted (clout for their game) and now they don't need us so they'll just try to sweep the rumors under the rug

I think that if YsNet had to go a crowdfunded route (which I don't think will happen), they'd be better off going with a recurrent support model similar to Patreon rather than trying Kickstarter again. The blast of hype that propelled the Shenmue 3 KS just wouldn't be there and it would probably max out in the $2 - 3 million range.

Pitching instead for a few dollars a month from the dedicated fanbase I think would bring in more money over the course of development and allow them to offer a set of simple rewards that don't encounter the scope creep and confusion we saw with the Kickstarter reward tiers.

If they were to do a Kickstarter now would be the time. The Yen is incredibly weak against the Dollar and the conversion would be very favorable for a Japanese developer.
(I'd also like to say I'm sad about missing out on the Ryo replica jacket from the Shemmue 3 kickstarter)

Me too. Still pissed at whoever backed for it as a troll and canceled their pledge in the final seconds.
I actually really liked the Kickstarter model. Meant we got a lot of Shemmue swag and a direct line of sight to the developers. It's sad we probably won't get it again.

C'mon Sergei, show yourself, play along...
(last time, promise)

I say keep posting on here and little things will start to happen.
Think about it, again, like a global mind swarm kind of shit.
Dont leave last poster, please. Listen I shut up now.
Omg Im not crying
Cancelled... By my own tribe
Whyyy does it always rain on me? Buuhubuh

Last edited:
Back