110 Industries have been teasing Shenmue IV a lot lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
I literally just had an argument about the word couple with a friend a few months ago lol. It can be defined as “an indefinite small number.” Very rarely is it used in the old-timey sense of a literal “two.”

Let's keep it, chilled guys. We'll know soon enough.

Frigging love Steins Gate. The anime was mind blowing
Yes, one of my favourites animes too, I like all the trilogy in anime, 0, normal and the movie, also waiting for the next visual novel, they take their time too like with Shenmue xD.

Eh... if you're talking like a couple in the romantic sense, but otherwise it can mean above that. Like if someone offered you a plate of fries and you said you'd have a couple, you wouldn't just be taking two.

Anyway it's semantics, general point is to just sit tight. I have a theory 110 might be reading this thread, so hopefully they take pity and throw us a little red meat.

Tomorrow is Shenmue day, maybe they'll tease a little more for the occasion 👀

In an ideal world, they'd choose Shenmue Day(as coined by the community) for the confirmation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a more on-the-nose tease if anything at all.

Most anything right now is going to be overshadowed by Star Wars(rumor has it Jedi: Fallen Order II will be shown).

We shall see.

Eh... if you're talking like a couple in the romantic sense, but otherwise it can mean above that. Like if someone offered you a plate of fries and you said you'd have a couple, you wouldn't just be taking two.

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but if someone said they'd have "a couple" of fries, then they are misusing the word. I wouldn't say I want "a couple more", I would say I want "a few more". "Couple" always means two and if someone uses the word to mean more than two, then they are misusing the word.

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but if someone said they'd have "a couple" of fries, then they are misusing the word. I wouldn't say I want "a couple more", I would say I want "a few more". "Couple" always means two and if someone uses the word to mean more than two, then they are misusing the word.
Sorry, they aren’t. An accepted definition (Webster) of couple is “an indefinite small number” (indefinite definition is “having no exact limits”).

In an ideal world, they'd choose Shenmue Day(as coined by the community) for the confirmation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a more on-the-nose tease if anything at all.

Most anything right now is going to be overshadowed by Star Wars(rumor has it Jedi: Fallen Order II will be shown).

We shall see.
But they don't have to sell Shenmue 4 to the mainstream. It will always be interesting to a niche audience, so I doubt Star Wars would affect its announcement much. Shenmue 3 likely would have been a tremendous success with its audience had they not bought KS copies.

English is what is described in french as a "living language", in the sense that since we are using this language every day it is "alive", and what is alive evolves. So words and their usage change overtime. Contrary to a "dead language" like latin, that is a language that isn't used in society anymore and thus cannot change.

Many words or expression have changed over time, wether it's strictly their writings or their meanings. For example "Making Love", less than a century ago, was still mostly used to describe what we call today "flirting", the signification change to "sexual intercourse". "Awful" until mid 20th century meant "fear", when you "feel awful", it's didnt mean that you felt bad, it meant that you were fearful, something awful, what something that gave you fear. That's what we call "semantic change".

Couple weeks is one of those terms that went through semantic change with passage of time, and is now more used to say "few weeks" than "two weeks"

and is now more used to say "few weeks" than "two weeks"

By people who don't understand what the word "couple" means ;) Just like most people, including the media, misunderstand percentage and percentage points.

Haha, but in all seriousness, ok, I'm happy to admit I'm wrong on this one lol. I just think it's silly, to be honest. I have heard the argument before that it now can be used to refer to a small undefined amount of something and it just makes no sense to me. Why use a word that in its literal form, means two, when there is the word "few" that is only one syllable in length and more accurately describes an "indefinite small amount"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back