110 Industries have been teasing Shenmue IV a lot lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. But I say as a game. May it be as good as the first two, you know?

I still can't believe what I'm playing. My time in that village is being suffocating. I'm about to stop it to start new playthroughs of Shenmue 1 and 2. Maybe I'll just watch the rest of the story of 3 on YouTube. It's painful to say this after I've had wonderful experiences with 1 and 2 this year.

Edit: and what are those trophies? Cut 1000 wood and catch 1000 fish?
This has been hashed out a ton already, but yes, there are some differences with III compared to I & II. Those games had a blank check with over 300 people from multiple industries working on them, not to mention SEGA's premiere studio at the time. What Shenmue III accomplished on a little more than a Kickstarter budget is very impressive. There are some odd bits to the game's story, but I recommend you keep pushing along, as I think you will find some good parts. Plus, this game is a very solid foundation for Shenmue IV. Improve the combat (yes, we ALL want VF5 combat, but it likely will never happen), move the story along like Shenmue II did, and we've got ourselves a treat of a game.

This has been hashed out a ton already, but yes, there are some differences with III compared to I & II. Those games had a blank check with over 300 people from multiple industries working on them, not to mention SEGA's premiere studio at the time. What Shenmue III accomplished on a little more than a Kickstarter budget is very impressive. There are some odd bits to the game's story, but I recommend you keep pushing along, as I think you will find some good parts. Plus, this game is a very solid foundation for Shenmue IV. Improve the combat (yes, we ALL want VF5 combat, but it likely will never happen), move the story along like Shenmue II did, and we've got ourselves a treat of a game.
But it is also true that today we have many more development tools, resources and options. Shenmue 3 had what? 6 million dollars? Hollow Knight was developed by 2 people with like 60000 Australian dollars. Shenmue 3 devs had no idea what they were doing.

Shenmue 4 doesn't need to improve on what Shenmue 3 is. It needs to be completely different. A video game just can't be like Shenmue 3. My English is bad and I lack words to describe Shenmue 3's bizarre structural flaws.

But it is also true that today we have many more development tools, resources and options. Shenmue 3 had what? 6 million dollars? Hollow Knight was developed by 2 people with like 60000 Australian dollars. Shenmue 3 devs had no idea what they were doing.

Shenmue 4 doesn't need to improve on what Shenmue 3 is. It needs to be completely different. A video game just can't be like Shenmue 3. My English is bad and I lack words to describe Shenmue 3's bizarre structural flaws.
Building a 3d open world game on a 6 million dollar budget is like if Hollow Knight was made for $1000 bucks. Two totally different games - it’s why indies aren’t putting out games attempting to do what Shenmue III did. Again, I think we all agree that 1 and 2 are better, way better perhaps, but 3 is good specifically for what it is (an indie open world Kickstarter game)

Yep, we'll be keeping a very close eye on this thread. Discuss topics in the appropriate threads and don't derail this one.

Swift action will be taken otherwise, as this is an issue that has come up several times in the past. We won't let the experience of other members suffer because some people can not be bothered to use the right topic.

Respect the platform, respect the rules and respect each other.

Inappropriate behaviour against TOS
Yep, we'll be keeping a very close eye on this thread. Discuss topics in the appropriate threads and don't derail this one.

Swift action will be taken otherwise, as this is an issue that has come up several times in the past. We won't let the experience of other members suffer because some people can not be bothered to use the right topic.

SNIP - Inappropriate

Last edited by a moderator:

Edited comment to amend toward TOS:
. Ok (two moderators in a row, and notable tired of warning) Now im frozen.
. Shen-Shun, you sounded firm and that appeals me. I abide it very much.
. Me try harder no over-go with sensual jokes. its a latino thing
🥲
This is my first and hopefully last snip but its kind of an honor and thrilling. haha gaves me sweet memories grounded at karate dojo. It wasnt evil minded but noted, i'll behave

Last edited:
I've already said this once in this thread but I'll say it again - can we please take any Shenmue 3 discussion to the Shenmue 3 forum. This isn't the place to discuss Shenmue 3's issues for the umpteenth time.
I'm sorry.

Anyway, I'm very interested in Shenmue 4. I'm not giving up on a series I loved two games just because one game isn't pleasing me. Also, I made a little more progress in the game. Beautiful locations. Any new Shenmue game will be a day 1 purchase for me.

To regroup, and though we're all repeating ourselves here:

I admit I'm now convinced there's something Suzuki related, but I'm still unconvinced (though hopeful) that it could be something Shenmue related (Not S4, just something Shenmue). Despite their "next couple of weeks" comment, I'm also not betting on this Tuesday as a literal calendar claim. Could be three weeks, etc.; idioms are idioms. Again, I hope I'm wrong, but I'm too weary to buy into any "hopium"; perhaps we ought practice the calmness that is encouraged in the Wude ;)

It's still a pleasure to be alongside all of you and wonder what's coming, though: as a grumpy Stoic, you fellow Shenmue fans remind me to dream a little!

To regroup, and though we're all repeating ourselves here:

I admit I'm now convinced there's something Suzuki related, but I'm still unconvinced (though hopeful) that it could be something Shenmue related (Not S4, just something Shenmue). Despite their "next couple of weeks" comment, I'm also not betting on this Tuesday as a literal calendar claim. Could be three weeks, etc.; idioms are idioms. Again, I hope I'm wrong, but I'm too weary to buy into any "hopium"; perhaps we ought practice the calmness that is encouraged in the Wude ;)

It's still a pleasure to be alongside all of you and wonder what's coming, though: as a grumpy Stoic, you fellow Shenmue fans remind me to dream a little!

If this is a Shenmue related game then imo it confirms a Shenmue 4 will be coming. Shenmue does not have the luxury of wandering off and trying new things. We have to strike while the iron is hot.

If this is a Shenmue related game then imo it confirms a Shenmue 4 will be coming. Shenmue does not have the luxury of wandering off and trying new things. We have to strike while the iron is hot.
I think it /should/ lead to that-- it'd be dull to finance, say, a Shenmue 0 without intending to build up hype for 4. That said, I simply admit I'm very much in a "wait till I see it" mode. I also agree that we need to get Shenmue completed ASAP-- not rushed, but completed in a timely manner. I just hope these folks, if indeed involved, see it the same way. They seem more (self-)aware than, say, the S3 folks.

Stoicism is required and thank you for that. Hopium is a funny concept but based on egregores, tulpas, those butterflies supposedly spit from Tibet monks mouths, echtoplasmas.. this thread acts like a charged battery for pulling out Shenmue continuity from the loom of destiny. We are at a few days of some news, and its gonna be WONDERFUL

I think it /should/ lead to that-- it'd be dull to finance, say, a Shenmue 0 without intending to build up hype for 4. That said, I simply admit I'm very much in a "wait till I see it" mode. I also agree that we need to get Shenmue completed ASAP-- not rushed, but completed in a timely manner. I just hope these folks, if indeed involved, see it the same way. They seem more (self-)aware than, say, the S3 folks.

TBH I don't want any spinoffs or add-ons in regards to Shenmue. Any monies and resources should be used to get to the conclusion of Shenmue 4&5. Once the main story is finished then we can try new games. Just me 2cents whatever thats worth.

Most of the time these 'but these guys did a better job' budget discussions are pretty pointless.
A game like Shenmue with fully voiced characters, thousands of sentences of dialogue, a 3D open world,
a world that is working on its own, with full day and night cycles,
different mission triggers / options, cutscenes, graphics on a PS4 level or higher and all that stuff
is never going to be cheap. This whole 'but 7 mil USD on Kickstarter!!!' thing
doesnt mean anything if you compare that to the budget of non Kickstarter games
in the AA / AAA open world game range. Even if we take the whole 18-22 mil USD,
that is still not a big amount of money for this type of game.
This whole '7 mil, the biggest KS campaign ever for that?!' created a completely wrong assumption.

3D open world RPG games with optional missions, fully voiced NPCs etc
are literally one of the most expensive game types to develop.
We are talking about modern games from Square Enix, Rockstar Games etc with a budget of 80 - 400 mil USD.
People should really stop saying that 7 or 20 mil USD is sooooo much for this type of game.
It isnt. Its actually pretty impressive that YS Net was able to make all of this stuff for Shenmue 3 with that budget,
not the other way around. If you want a RDR 2 quality treatment for Shenmue 4,
then please find us a studio that is willing to give YS Net about 200 mil USD. Good luck.

Shenmue 1 & 2 had a original budget of what, 55-70 mil USD for two games?
Just think about that. 7 mil USD is nothing.
Why is there no Sega Shenmue 3? Because Sega thought the developing costs were too cheap?
Come on.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does saying the words "Shenmue 4" out loud make anyone else feel like they should be committed or something? I'm almost shaking in anticipation, giggling to myself :ROFLMAO: It's unreal to think that this could happen. Whatever this awesome mass delusion is, just keep it coming! :LOL:

What time do you think it could be announced? Depending on this moment, some of us can be sleeping... I imagine when I wake up and see there is 20 pages of this thread without reading... Shenmue 4'd have been announced!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back