To what extent does SEGA have the rights to Shenmue's name?

But then what if Yu Suzuki decided to keep the $100 million payout instead of using it to fund Shenmue 4?
Ah I only said win. I didn't stipulate what he should do with it

Well I think that YS could sue Sega for not only the rights to Shenmue but also for significant damages due to lost wages and opportunity cost of developing/selling more Shenmue sequels back in the early 00’s when it was a relevant mass market series.

YS should sue Sega for everything they’ve got-we the fans could pitch in for fund the retainers of an army of lawyers that will force Sega to settle and pay YS $100 million.
I legitimately don't understand if you are trolling or being serious. Nothing you wrote makes sense legally or financially. Directors don't get paid by the hours, ever. They likely have a fixed yearly payment and a cut on the sales. Doing overtime is overall normal in Japan, even more so if you are the director of a project. And, since you are getting backend money and your name is on the final product, you have the incentive to work harder than anyone else.

I legitimately don't understand if you are trolling or being serious. Nothing you wrote makes sense legally or financially. Directors don't get paid by the hours, ever. They likely have a fixed yearly payment and a cut on the sales. Doing overtime is overall normal in Japan, even more so if you are the director of a project. And, since you are getting backend money and your name is on the final product, you have the incentive to work harder than anyone else.
The idea is that Sega could be threatened with years of costly litigation and forced to settle.

Sega has lost so much goodwill with the fans that they would have already lost in the court of public opinion and their sales would suffer until they settle with YS.

Then YS uses the settlement money to finish Shenmue.

The idea is that Sega could be threatened with years of costly litigation and forced to settle.

Sega has lost so much goodwill with the fans that they would have already lost in the court of public opinion and their sales would suffer until they settle with YS.

And who is going to pay for that costly litigation for Yu?
And him looking like a complete moron wouldn't ruin his public opinion?
I REALLY hope you are trolling. If so, great work! 😂

And who is going to pay for that costly litigation for Yu?
And him looking like a complete moron wouldn't ruin his public opinion?
I REALLY hope you are trolling. If so, great work! 😂
There are Shenmue fans who are lawyers and will gladly take the case. For payment YS need only sign an agreement allocating all settlement money to Shenmue.

Regarding the optics, Sega will be seen as the “bad guy” a soulless corporation who took advantage of a meek unassuming old man.

Fry.png

SDMZero is definetly trolling. :D

I'm not saying that he's not a Shenmue fan. He is, because he knows a lot about the series... But, yeah, he's a troll, a joker and a fan too! :p

The good relationship between SEGA and Yu Suzuki is very important.

The good relationship between SEGA and Yu Suzuki is very important.
Not getting along with Sega at the current moment (new CEO coming from Dreamcast days and new motiv looking for legacy IPs) would be more than bad timing.
That and:
- There's absolutely no base for a case.
- Yu Suzuki is at peace and logically thankful to Sega and even in contact with some members.
- Practically all lawyers are chasing for easier money from divorces, lesser problematic laboral issues and some minor administrations illegalities (councils for example). Can't anyone blame them?

Not getting along with Sega at the current moment (new CEO coming from Dreamcast days and new motiv looking for legacy IPs) would be more than bad timing.
That and:
- There's absolutely no base for a case.
- Yu Suzuki is at peace and logically thankful to Sega and even in contact with some members.
- Practically all lawyers are chasing for easier money from divorces, lesser problematic laboral issues and some minor administrations illegalities (councils for example). Can't anyone blame them?
Ok so we will see how the new CEO for Sega works out. If he doesn’t bring back Shenmue as part of the legacy IP then we do the lawsuit shakedown.

Ok so we will see how the new CEO for Sega works out. If he doesn’t bring back Shenmue as part of the legacy IP then we do the lawsuit shakedown.
I don't think one person agreed with the "lawsuit shakedown". As others have said, you are either trolling, trying to be funny (but are not succeeding), or just incredibly naive to how the business world works. None of these options are good, so please stop.

Well I think that YS could sue Sega for not only the rights to Shenmue but also for significant damages due to lost wages and opportunity cost of developing/selling more Shenmue sequels back in the early 00’s when it was a relevant mass market series.

YS should sue Sega for everything they’ve got-we the fans could pitch in for fund the retainers of an army of lawyers that will force Sega to settle and pay YS $100 million.

How would you argue that game (however much we love it - however great and revolutionairy it was) that cost so much money that to recoup it everyone who owned that platform would of had to buy it twice made buisness sense to do a sequel to? They made 1 & 2 together and split them into two games to try and offset the huge budget but you could very reliably stand in court and say it would be negligent to have let AM2/Yu make a 3rd game in the 00s.

Also the reason you'd have a very difficult time trying to sue for the rights is it wasn't just Yu Suzuki who made this game. There was a whole team of people at AM2, all employed by Sega and paid at an agreed rate (remember they were all free to leave at anytime minus any notice period) that created Characters, Artwork, Story etc. etc.

Just because you somehow think Yu is owed some overtime he doesn't get the keys to the kingdom.

If you could manage to sucessfully argue otherwise, remind me to hire you as a lawyer next time im in trouble!

No it wouldn’t. Sonic is still gonna sell because kids don’t know who the hell Yu Suzuki is and the average Sega fan from back in the day ain’t holding any loyalty to the man. Yakuza fans aren’t boycotting anything and people lost their shit when all those classic revivals were announced during the game awards. They shit on Shenmue on the regulat :ROFLMAO:

Back