Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Building Shenmue with AI, while tech forward, just depresses me. I like technology and i loved that Ys had millions at his disposal when he was AM2 but I’m not into removing the human element from dialogue. I don’t think that’s something Shenmue needs. The dialogue in 3 feels robotic enough.

If used well it could be useful, like generate 500 random npc faces then they can custom it to bring some soul,
Same for some background landscapes that are not very important etc
Allows to gain time

Now, picture the Sega SuperScaler and Model boards mastermind toying with this, along colleagues that share their own experiments like secretive, avant-garde, crazy scientist of videogames: Yoot Saito, Who was talking four years ago of his "scary" (in his own word) experimental conversational AI.
Now, apply this behavioural management to fighting opponents.
All code that needs to be written through countless hours, at times in sprint shifts (non stop = unsustainable industry in bursting point).

As the liking or not, I don't fancy it neither but its unavoidable destination.
Eventually the market will be flooded with AI generated games and when a game announced as "completely made by people, not AI were used" It will looked at as we look today at people coding in assembly, in msdos toolchain, for Megadrive.

Edit: Saito interview 4 years ago. He touches the matter around the mid-end.
https://www.gamedeveloper.com/desig...s-on-creativity-and-making-new-strange-things

People from Google & OpenAI talking about how opensource AIs gain terrain, as it was expected:
https://the-decoder.com/someone-at-google-thinks-open-source-ai-is-winning-the-race/

Now we can mock of Square Enix broken AI demo, like those who laught at the early moving image proyectors and said "no way anybody will buy this".
Give it a year or two.

Last edited:
Modders have already added AI Chat Software to Skyrim and this is the result.
Just imagine what this can do for Shenmue IV and the whole series.
This is actually pretty interesting for Shenmue considering that something many people seem to love about the series is the janky voice acting but hate the useless NPC interactions, which puts Shenmue in a unique position to take advantage of this tech early as opposed to other games with more polished VO. The big question is how it would enhance Shenmue?

The big question is how it would enhance Shenmue?
In the game mechanics aspect, imagine as example simply just S1 part searching for the black car and Heartbeats Bar with something like this. You asking around and slowly unfolding the plot.

Moreover, today we have much better face animations which can also be triggered depending on certain variables like a trust system, which casually relates to infiltration and that sounds like Baisha. Baisha is a scenario perfect for such amazing plots and gameplay, like a huge Murder at Orient Express or The Name of The Rose. Again, the facial emotions could be trained to change depending on our trust level with certain character and even attached to a "will to lie to player".

About how would help in actual Shenmue development, many others gave nice examples that translates in costs reduction while not only keeping quality standard but increasing it.
Just taking S3 models into Metahuman and those results into UE5 means a notable visual breakthrough.

This is actually pretty interesting for Shenmue considering that something many people seem to love about the series is the janky voice acting but hate the useless NPC interactions, which puts Shenmue in a unique position to take advantage of this tech early as opposed to other games with more polished VO. The big question is how it would enhance Shenmue?
I think that with the evolution of this software will change player interactions with the Npc's in the game; making it much more immersive specially in the Rpg genre.
I consider it can make in Shenmue the interactions with npc's much more realistic and varied and also considering that Ren and Shenhua will travel with Ryo throghout the rest of his journey that it could vastly improve the immersiveness between them for the player.

ChatGPT4 answers about assisting and enhancing Shenmue 4

As an AI language model, I could potentially assist in the development of Shenmue 4 in a few ways:
  1. Story and dialogue: I can generate dialogues, storylines, and character interactions based on given prompts or specific criteria. Game developers could use my assistance to brainstorm and refine narrative elements for Shenmue 4.
  2. Worldbuilding and lore: I can provide information and generate content related to the world of Shenmue, including details about locations, history, and cultural aspects. This could aid in expanding the game's universe and creating a rich and immersive setting.
  3. Gameplay mechanics: I can offer suggestions and ideas for gameplay mechanics, such as combat systems, mini-games, or interactive elements. Developers could leverage my input to explore new gameplay features or refine existing ones.
  4. QA and testing: I can assist in testing and quality assurance by simulating various scenarios and identifying potential issues or bugs within the game. This could help ensure a smoother and more polished gaming experience.
It's important to note that while I can provide assistance and generate content, the actual development of Shenmue 4 would require a team of skilled developers, designers, and creative professionals to bring the game to life.

As an AI language model, there are several ways in which I could hypothetically enhance the development of Shenmue 4:
  1. Content generation: I can generate vast amounts of content quickly, such as dialogue, item descriptions, or quest narratives. This could help expedite the development process by providing a foundation for the game's content and reducing the time required for manual content creation.
  2. Player interaction: I can offer dynamic and engaging player interactions by responding to user input, providing realistic and contextually appropriate responses. This could enhance the immersion and realism of the game's dialogue and interactions with non-playable characters.
  3. Adaptive storytelling: I can adapt the narrative based on player choices and actions, creating a more personalized and dynamic story experience. This could provide players with a sense of agency and make the game world feel more responsive to their decisions.
  4. Procedural generation: I can assist in generating procedural content, such as random events, quests, or environments. This could add variety and replayability to the game, ensuring that each playthrough feels unique.
  5. Multilingual support: I can assist in providing translations and localization support for different languages, making Shenmue 4 accessible to a wider audience.
It's important to note that while these enhancements could be beneficial, the actual implementation and integration into the game would require careful consideration and coordination with the development team's vision and expertise.

Sorry for double post, maybe it could turn into a thread idk

About costs saving (was tricky to pull out), its just guess but yet:

Given the hypothetical scenario and the potential contributions of AI assistance mentioned earlier, it's difficult to provide an accurate estimate without specific details about the development process and associated expenses for Shenmue 1. However, based on the potential benefits AI could offer, including content generation, testing, and localization support, it is reasonable to speculate a potential cost savings of around 10-20% in those specific areas. This estimate is provided as a rough approximation and should be considered as a general guideline rather than an exact figure. The actual cost savings would depend on the specific circumstances and implementation of AI technologies within the development process.

YS Net negotiating Shenmue 4

YS Net negotiating Shenmue 4

Campaigning like that for Shenmue 4 reconciles generating buzz around the ip and YS figure while still ironizing about the actual situation with kindness. I believe its a positive thing and that YS himself enjoy a bit of polite joking at his cost. He gives me very mischiveous vibes in his eyes, since always.
Edit: For example, if someone starts laughing in front of him, YS will stay very cold on purpose, just to embarrass the other person and enjoy that external embarrasament.

I would think it'll be Gamescom in August, if anything. TGS is a possibility, but we shall see.

All eyes on 110 and I don't see much from them leading up to SGF.

noidontthinksoLee.gifnoidontthinksoBerry.gifNoWay.gifnoidontthinkso.gif

I dont think that something like that would just appear out of nowhere in this day and age
without any hints or leaks.

Last edited:
Back