110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

Personally i really like ironic, sarcastic, evil humor ... like typical british or german dark humor,
but at this point as a company or as a spokesman of a company that develops games, movies or events,
i would be a bit more careful with teasing Shenmue fans,
because we are on this tiny ledge between hope, sighing and sadness again.

So if you are some entertainment industry Twitter promotion guy
and think it would be a nice light hearted joke to make some Shenmue tease comment
even tho you literally have no actual Shenmue news or content at all ... then please give up the joke.

In this situation even a light hearted joke from some official account just feels like mocking.
And i'm not talking about big consequences or threats or toxic behavior for / from the company or our side,
its not that serious. I have no interest in harassing people just because of a Shenmue joke. Its all good.
But just keep in mind that Shenmue fans are not really riding on a huge positive wave of good news
like fans of all the other big IPs do, so maybe now is not the right time for a april fools trick.

And on the real. Alot of these games should be paying homage to Shenmue. Because without it I don't think any open world game would have thrived without Shenmue doing it first.

This might be a case of 'too soon', but now that the anime is done, do we think that it was a success in terms of introducing more fans to the franchise? Do we think it did enough to get S4 greenlit? or perhaps even just make S4 more marketable to publishers (assuming it is currently without one)?

lookie here. Our chance to get a definitive answer.
"Then Sergei will answer some of them", but definitely not the Shenmue ones. Why would he invoke our wrath by admitting to stringing us along or invoke Suzuki's by blowing an announcement? My guess is that he won't admit their involvement unless it's a Shenmue reveal.

I've given up on playing along with their marketing games. I hope Wanted Dead goes well, but I'm done with these guys for the moment, and to be honest they are probably done with us considering the noise they've now been able to muster up for the game.

Probably best to ignore them and wait till they feel the need to poke the Shenmue bear with a stick.

Last edited:
This might be a case of 'too soon', but now that the anime is done, do we think that it was a success in terms of introducing more fans to the franchise? Do we think it did enough to get S4 greenlit? or perhaps even just make S4 more marketable to publishers (assuming it is currently without one)?

Of course. It definitely helps as bringing some new fans and make Shenmue more known in some circles. But how much it helps and is it enough is hard to estimate. We'll see.

Of course. It definitely helps as bringing some new fans and make Shenmue more known in some circles. But how much it helps and is it enough is hard to estimate. We'll see.
As you mentioned in the other thread, they need to capitalize on this as soon as possible. I don't know about you guys, but I tend to think that anime is more forgettable - in general - compared to games.

If/when we get any sort of announcement of Shenmue 4, it will only be when YS Net are ready. Mistakes were made with publicity of Shenmue 3 and I’m certain Cedric and Yu will be determined to avoid further such costly errors.

I genuinely believe 110 Industries are working with YS Net on something, but I’m 50:50 whether it’s Shenmue 4 or Red Goes Faster. A racing game would definitely be a safer bet for a first collaboration as opposed to $20-30million Shenmue game.

Let’s not forget that 110 Industries are an entirely new publisher and, as good as Wanted Dead appears to be, we’ve no idea how well it may sell. We know from our own experiences that the casual gamer tends to gravitate towards the bland mainstream games such as COD, GTA and Assassin’s Creed rather than more interesting (less publicised) games by gaming legends. Could Shenmue 4 be too great a risk at such an early stage in 110 Industries’ existence? (No offence intended to fans of the aforementioned, unquestionably solid, franchise games 😀)

I believe 110 Industries teased the ‘couple of weeks’ in good faith, being so excited to work with YS Net, but I suspect Yu Suzuki scuppered an announcement because he couldn’t afford focus to be taken away from the Air Twister reveal.

I’m happy that YS Net are working on quality projects (Air Twister was utterly fantastic) and they appear to have a great ally in 110 Industries. I look forward to whatever games YS Net release over the next few years. I believe that Shenmue 4 will be one of them 🙏

Back