I don't know how to unlock the Passport Dsc

I tried to use the hex editor but the only hex decimels that show up in the ISO I had created. I'm also using a physical disc to do this with.

Last edited:
I tried to use the hex editor but the only hex decimels that show up in the ISO I had created. I'm also using a physical disc to do this with.
source: PhantomRiverStone
No .ISO format. CDI/MDF or GDI track07.bin

The Patch: Instructions​

Edit: clarified information on the disc image format required & added patch for PAL version.

Update: instructions for the Japanese NTSC version and US Shenmue have also now been added, as identified on this blog by Pome.

If you have a CDI or MDF image file of the Shenmue Passport disc, just apply the patch directly. For a GDI image, apply it to the track07.bin file (thanks to Radar on the Shenmue Dojo for testing and confirming).

The instructions vary slightly, depending on which version you have of the game.

Patch for Shenmue Passport Disc

1) Load the disc image into your favorite hex editor.
2) Search for the 4-byte hex sequence appropriate to your Shenmue version:
(US NTSC:) 98 23 0F 89 (PAL:) 88 23 0F 89
(Japan:) 98 23 10 89 (US Shenmue:) 98 28 0D 89
and change the third and fourth bytes as follows:
(NTSC:) 98 23 27 27 (PAL:) 88 23 27 27
(Japan:) 98 23 27 27 (US Shenmue:) 98 28 27 27

3) Repeat the search in Step 2 one more time. If the sequence is found a second time, update it in the same way.
4) Save the image. Done!

First, make sure you're using either a GDI or a CDI file. (CDI is one file, where GDI is multiple)
Second, when searching on HxD, make sure it's searching HEX and not Text.

Last edited:
As Billy said. Check a cdi vs. gdi structure:

a.pngb.png

As in this example we have a GDI Passport, Track 7 is the file to patch with HxD:
c.png
Replace Hex-values acording your region. Example for NTSC-U (not US Shenmue, that's a JP release)
d.png
Once all occurrences had been replaced, Save changes. Done.

C'mon mate, you're so close. Don't ragequit now! ;) you're gonna make it.

Last edited:
Back