Recent content by Shunme

1. Shunme

General Impressions

I think Shenmue can fall back on exactly that excuse. More on that after the next beat. I didn't see SIII as anymore shallow than the previous games. It looks just a macguffin-fluffin' to me, and I don't think the emphasis even lies there. It's just the backdrop of Ryo's journey of becoming...
  2. Shunme

Undiscovered Secrets...!........?

Anyone who didn't see this during their playthrough didn't go to the balcony outside their hotel room during the last day (or it could have been the evening before, after Shenhua has been kidnapped.) There's a cutscene where Ryo grabs the railing and this thing is shown from a birds eye view...
  3. Shunme

General Impressions

What is a satisfying conclusion? I really think this thirst for answers is misguided. A shallow plot, such as Shenmue's, can be excellent when it's kept intentionally obscure, but shine too much light on it and it'll be revealed as ugly. An ending which ties all ends into a neat package would...
  4. Shunme

Just finished Shenmue III - thoughts (have avoided all reviews/spoilers/etc)

I took away the same. I also had not previously heard what anybody else thought about it. This is easy. They were involved to give the final fight the feeling of a bigger battle. The same couldn't have been achieved with just Ryo and Ren. I've seen this point criticized a few times, which...
  5. Shunme

shenmue 3 PC version controller support?

Well, the OP solved the problem by buying a new controller, but in the off chance this might help anyone: XOutput is a free, nifty piece of software that turns all your Chinese, no brand PC pads into fully functional Xbox controllers, which SIII loves. Save you a few bucks.
  6. Shunme

(Top 5) Why you love Shenmue III?

My top 5 from least to greatest: 5. The view from the hotel balcony at night, with the bright, blinking ship from the DLC at port and all. It was atmospheric. 4. The fight with Lan Di. Not being able to get past his defenses at all felt so futile after all this time. 3. Those phone calls to...
  7. Shunme

General Impressions

Good post. But I must remind you to be careful what you wish for. Asking questions is the real fun, it's very satisfying. Mysteries are infinite fun to ponder upon. When have you ever gotten a satisfying answer to anything in any fiction? More often than not, any answers are jarring slaps in the...
  8. Shunme

General Impressions

Same, definitely. Shenmue has been my second favorite game ever since. It just wasn't the plot that did it. It was how the whole thing was crafted into a very captivating, moody game. Great art direction, excellent music, meticulous attention to details, the pacing of tense and relaxed...
  9. Shunme

General Impressions

Just finished Shenmue III some hours ago. Was extremely satisfied. Thought it a perfect continuation of the old games. This poison for me, too. Give me more of the same, I'd gladly drink it again and again indefinitely. The plots in these games were never all that much. It was mcguffins and...
Back