Recent content by Rydeen

1. Rydeen

What are you playing?

I don’t think I could say I’m a hardcore Falcom fan. I mainly just like looking back at Japanese games historically, and I’m a big fan Yoshio Kiya’s work because he’s wildly talented engineer, like YS, and functionally laid the groundwork for Zelda and Metroid with Dragon Slayer and Xanadu...
  2. Rydeen

What are you playing?

I’m a big fan of the Dragon Slayer series, and quite enjoyed the original Legend of Heroes and Legend of Heroes II (final boss of that one is an experience) on the Mega Drive. Without Yoshio Kiya, I find Falcom to be kind of dull, though. So I haven’t really played any later LoH games. About 10...
  3. Rydeen

Petition to get Shenmue on iOS and android

I think it’s probably even more of a non-starter than a Switch version, honestly.
  4. Rydeen

Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Plum blossoms: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_mume
  5. Rydeen

Eiyuden Chronicles Kickstarter

I've been playing the backer beta now for 7 HOURS (!!!!), and it still seems to be sending me to another mission, so at this point I'm thinking I'm just going to stop and wait for the full release. The beta is on Steam, and I'm getting my playing copy for GOG, but it's not really clear to me...
  6. Rydeen

Random Gaming Thoughts

Ah, np. Yeah, I was really not impressed by the presentation in Rising initially, either. The gameplay loop is also very rote, and it does very little on the story side. On the plus side, the action gameplay feels fairly good, and can be pretty fun, but it's also not all that diverse. I did...
  7. Rydeen

Random Gaming Thoughts

I 100%ed Rising, but I get why you wouldn't have been too excited about it. I really only found it to be just okay. It made more sense to me (and I was a bit relieved) once I finished it and saw from the credits that basically none of the Eiyuden staff really worked on Rising. It was almost...
  8. Rydeen

Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Well, when you put it that way, I've been part of making things I wouldn't use myself. I don't think that's particularly weird, but it's also not really what I said. Okayasu has been working with Yu on the Shenmue project since almost the beginning, through both iterations of the Saturn version...
  9. Rydeen

There is: Keiji Okayasu. The somehow often forgotten co-director/sub-director for all three games. Yu has basically always handed Keiji a broad outline of the progression for the games, while Keiji takes those to implement the gameplay mechanics, and build out all of the inbetween moments. (He...
  10. Rydeen

Yeah, I personally don’t really care about having the story finished in another medium just to have a conclusion. Shenmue is what it is because of its gameplay (and Yu Suzuki). Nothing solidified that for me more than the anime. I loved Shenmue III, though, and would easily put it in my top five...
  11. Rydeen

VOTE Shenmue in Retro Gamer top 100 games of all time!

Illbleed is just nuts. The fact that it exists is some sort of blessing. I don’t really enjoy the Yakuza games, but I imagine Illbleed gives me something that Yakuza gives other people, like, ‘This is completely insane, and I am here for it.’ I played Blue Stinger after Illbleed, so while it was...
  12. Rydeen

VOTE Shenmue in Retro Gamer top 100 games of all time!

I didn’t realize this was something submitted by email. Figured it was just a Twitter thing. Gonna spitball something here for reference later: 1. Shenmue II 2. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter 3. Dragon Quest V 4. Phantasy Star Online 5. Space Channel 5 Part 2 6. Suikoden III 7. Monster World...
  13. Rydeen

I've got some SEALED "sample" copies of the Japanese version of the first Shenmue (Dreamcast disks).

I didn’t really spend any time searching far and wide, just checked the usual Yahoo Auctions. Looks like there was one sealed that went at auction for 24,000¥ (about 200USD): https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f1098669009
  14. Rydeen

[Shenmue III] This save data cannot be used. Please download and install the DLC pack.

I've actually been looking back into trying to get my EGS saves usable on the GOG version. (All the saves are at least backed up with GOG's cloud save feature now, anyway.) I was basically at the same place as you, though. Those items in the first image are DLC not available on the GOG version...
Back