Recent content by Richard Payne

1. Richard Payne

(Shenmue I) Difference between moves at intermediate and max?

No problem, I'm happy to know you're not going to torture yourself by training all moves to the max. I did that in both Shenmue 1 and 2 and it was penance from beginning to end. 😖 It took me months to go through the process, meanwhile watching movies, YT videos, listening to music and podcasts...
  2. Richard Payne

(Shenmue I) Difference between moves at intermediate and max?

I can’t say for sure, but from what I could gather from my hours of play time, training moves to the max is a complete waste of time and gives you nothing in return (other than that slight XP boost when transferring the save to Shenmue 2). You already seem to be familiar with the benefits of...
  3. Richard Payne

Modded

Hi there! The easiest way I know to “mute” a piece of music in the Dreamcast version, is to simply get rid of it! There are different ways to achieve this, but for the sake of a shorter post, I’ll only mention my preferred method. You need two softwares: - GDI Builder v1.2 by sappharad, at...
  4. Richard Payne

Shenmue I DC - Is it possible to swap Ryo's FREE battle grunts with Guizhang's? [.SND files editing]

Nah, that was a poor choice of words on my part. The reason the .snd file came out too big was only because I decided to decompress it with DTPKUtil before editing. On the other hand, the only way to edit the audio files themselves with Audacity is to turn them into wav files first, which also...
  5. Richard Payne

Shenmue I DC - Is it possible to swap Ryo's FREE battle grunts with Guizhang's? [.SND files editing]

Wow man, I really appreciate you going out of your way to help me out like that! I checked your links and the Ecco modding guide looks to fit the case perfectly. If I can make a new custom GDI image, I'm confident xdelta will have no problem creating patches! Time to go to work 😅 EDIT: After a...
  6. Richard Payne

Hey Seaman, thanks for your help. Yeah, I did consider creating a patch at first, but had to scrap the idea after dealing with some technical issues. As you can imagine, I’m working on the game files directly, which I extracted from a GDI image. I do know how to rebuild the files into a CDI...
  7. Richard Payne

Hey guys, I hope you’re all having a great holiday! I felt like updating this thread with what came of my little project. In the end, I decided not to bother Team Wulinshu as I didn’t want to waste their time with my nonsense. While searching online for any info or hints, I found an incredibly...
  8. Richard Payne

A Shenmue Story - New Shenmue Journey from George Kitchen!

Congratulations on completing your game, George! Played it a little bit last night and it’s such a joy to be in Yokosuka again! 😍 The Shenmue atmosphere is so perfectly captured it honestly feels like an official game from back in the day; the Christmas spirit is beautifully portrayed too. I...
  9. Richard Payne

Is there a cheat trainer (remaster) that can modify the moves you've learned?

Not sure if you still need help, but it depends on which version of the game you’re playing. If it's the PC version, BtEtta’s Shenmue I save editor allows you to edit a variety of different variables, including Ryo’s moveset and move growth. Download the editor, open it on your browser (it’s an...
  10. Richard Payne

Hello there Dojo community, long time no see. Haven’t made a post here in quite some time, but I have never stopped lurking on the discussions every while and then! I hope you’re all doing well! 🙏 I’ve been working on a small little mod for Shenmue I on Dreamcast, but hit a roadblock and cannot...
  11. Richard Payne

About technique improvement

From what I can remember, you should keep the improvements even if you lose the fight. You can take advantage of that and train moves such as throws, which require a real opponent for training. If you're not interested in throws and you'd rather train hand moves or leg moves, I recommend...
  12. Richard Payne

Shenmue memes

Thanks man, I really appreciate your comment! To think I initially didn't want to upload that video, thinking it dragged too much and didn't showcase anything worthwhile. Glad to hear you liked it! :relaxed:
  13. Richard Payne

Shenmue III The Definitive Soundtrack is coming to digital, CD & vinyl starting November

YES!!! I had been waiting for something like this for a long time! I'll no doubt go for the CD version, pretty good price for what's essentially the entire Shenmue soundtrack so far (and what a soundtrack!). :sunglasses:
  14. Richard Payne

Shenmue Fan Art

Spectacular work! This might be my new favourite rendition of Ryo. I'm sure Suzuki-san would be impressed too!
  15. Richard Payne

Shenmue: combat showcase videos

Hey everyone. I hope you’re all doing well in these difficult times. Today I want to share with you a strategy I came up with to beat Chai at You Arcade (and possibly any opponent in Shenmue I) without even giving him a chance to fight back. No, it’s not the one where you spam Demon Drop over...
Back