Understanding why gamers won't like Shenmue 3

For some reason against my better judgement I clicked, but I actually didn't see much Shenmue hate. It's almost all directed at Epic.
Read again about how shit 1&2 were then. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/615805-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/61454611
But they are completely fine with it in 2011. Likely many were already fanboys by then. The way I've read Steam started by grabbing 2 mods fan made for a popular game, and made them exclusive to Steam back in the day. Very fair I'd say. Very free market, or whatever it is they like to bring up.

Sigh I should've known better then to make a Shenmue 3 thread on the DA forms. Despite being a art site, people who go to the gaming forum, for the most part only play the most mainstream stuff(It's the same with the anime section sigh).

Lol, calling Capcom dishonerable. How rubbish... Looking at their recent releases (especially MHW), I'm glad they are treating the Switch like an afterthought, if it means I can continue to get some of their best games of all time, I say go for it. Doesn't seem to have hurt MHW too much... I mean, its only the best selling game of theirs of all time, and one of their best playing. Hopefully this means the days of low res asset reuse and portable focused MH games are over. I just wish they'd work on file sizes on the Switch, having all of Capcom's digital only games on my SD Card is not the best thing ever, with many of them over 10GB! (but really, I need those portable RE5 and 6 ports! And yeah, even DMC2!)

Anyway, back on topic, but with just over a month left and I do wonder how the game will review/be received. The demo has certainly seemed to change the tone in conversation quite a bit, with it being way more positive now that more fans got hold of the game. Sure some people still aren't fans of combat or certain character models but its still way more positive. But the mainstream games media... it's gonna be interesting. That said, with Death Stranding (a huge AAA game backed with a Sony budget) launches a week or two prior, and I can just imagine some bone headed reviewers comparing the graphics between the two and lamenting how this tiny KS game doesn't look as good as the super expensive Kojima one. You know it'll happen!

I hope capcom visit their wealth of other Ips, and stop trying to do dual localizing[rebranding/overhauling] some of their games, that's how these mess that was the Basara Series, Phoenix games, and The Great ace attorney that is now stuck in indef limbo happened.

Onto Shenmue, If the game delivers, the fans will and influence-rs in the industry will give it the best word of mouth free advertisement. And if all the spiritual clones of famous YS franchises gets represented in the arcade mini-games? Hordes of Sega die-hards will come I can assure that. There are many clamoring Sega's Sns for new entries/ports all the time over on their various channels.

Portability > higher graphical fidelity and/or framerate ;)

No I mean actually better. In Disgaea's cases, aside from being faster(and it being all complete on the card), it has a ingame achievement system.

I can't stress enough how much I loath network based achievement systems. Long after the 9th gen is done, you'll still beable to fully play/replay Disgaea 5 on the switch.

As far as something like FF 11 goes, everything is better with that. Looks like Square wanted to make up for them taking forever lol.

I hope capcom visit their wealth of other Ips, and stop trying to do dual localizing[rebranding/overhauling] some of their games, that's how these mess that was the Basara Series, Phoenix games, and The Great ace attorney that is now stuck in indef limbo happened.

Onto Shenmue, If the game delivers, the fans will and influence-rs in the industry will give it the best word of mouth free advertisement. And if all the spiritual clones of famous YS franchises gets represented in the arcade mini-games? Hordes of Sega die-hards will come I can assure that. There are many clamoring Sega's Sns for new entries/ports all the time over on their various channels.
Yeah, but you know SEGA stopped a lot of that. Maybe they later allowed it behind the scenes, but then why not trully get behind the game? Why not have your older games have free advertising via the stupid capsule toys at least? What could that possibly hurt? Tell me this, he can draw capsule toys with tennis rackets there, could that mean he can play tennis in Shenmue 3? That would rock so much... Not too hard to do even, move with left, click the ball with X. I've hopes, but the setting is all wrong for tennis to exist, unless it's in that bigger town shown.

Sigh I should've known better then to make a Shenmue 3 thread on the DA forms. Despite being a art site, people who go to the gaming forum, for the most part only play the most mainstream stuff(It's the same with the anime section sigh).
Not at all. For example I hate most mainstream stuff. Any game I liked had to have something much more then jumping on mushrooms, or shooting over and over. Years, and years ago I played Mario on a regular NES. Didn't understand the appeal. Then the Dragon Brothers from a friend, now that was different, action, and jumping even, but it felt like it mattered. I never owned NES myself, but very few things on it made me want to even look at it. Super NES was different, I had many from it, but not all mainstream either. PSX and N64 games I got those that were my style. By then they got really fun for me. Tomb Raiders, Zeldas, Indiana Jones on N64. Man that game was something, it had it all. But some of the others on both that were very popular were just meh for me. Soul Reaver was great. I only got interested in SEGA when I saw Shenmue, look I'm sorry. I might have been wrong, SEGA games were always for very specific demographic. If Saturn did go with Shenmue early on, I'd buy it for that. There might have been more such on Saturn, I never saw them. BTW Yakuza is the best example. They'll hate me here for saying this. SEGA went back to what it's known best for. Pure action, less adventure/exploration. Tastes though of so many who love Shenmue seem extremely different. Arts is really for the eye of the beholder. I still hate most mainstream stuff in games. Shenmue 3 seemed exactly what I love in games, even in that tiny demo. SEGA should be ashamed if it's true they stopped him in 2012. They should have gotten feedback in 2015 also, shamed into fully supporting Shenmue 3. Much more could have been done in it then.

Yeah, but you know SEGA stopped a lot of that. Maybe they later allowed it behind the scenes, but then why not trully get behind the game? Why not have your older games have free advertising via the stupid capsule toys at least? What could that possibly hurt? Tell me this, he can draw capsule toys with tennis rackets there, could that mean he can play tennis in Shenmue 3? That would rock so much... Not too hard to do even, move with left, click the ball with X. I've hopes, but the setting is all wrong for tennis to exist, unless it's in that bigger town shown.

Yea I'm kind of confused about Tennis, sure It's the 80s, but even still tennis Isn't a thing you would find in the orient ingeneral, let alone China. Billiards makes more sense, hell even Baseball would make more sense, because atleast Baseball has become a fairly big thing in Japan(don't think China has adopted it though).

Go is huge in China as well, why not do something with that as well, Tennis however yea, has me baffled.

No I mean actually better. In Disgaea's cases, aside from being faster(and it being all complete on the card), it has a ingame achievement system.

I can't stress enough how much I loath network based achievement systems. Long after the 9th gen is done, you'll still beable to fully play/replay Disgaea 5 on the switch.

As far as something like FF 11 goes, everything is better with that. Looks like Square wanted to make up for them taking forever lol.

And is Doom 2016 better on Switch? The Witcher 3? Sonic Forces? Diablo III? Wolfenstein The New Colossus? Bloodstained? Wasteland 2? Sonic Team Racing?

Hand picking a couple of games that were enhanced on Switch to make a point about Switch multiplatform games being better than on PS4 seems a bit silly.

Yea I'm kind of confused about Tennis, sure It's the 80s, but even still tennis Isn't a thing you would find in the orient ingeneral, let alone China. Billiards makes more sense, hell even Baseball would make more sense, because atleast Baseball has become a fairly big thing in Japan(don't think China has adopted it though).

Go is huge in China as well, why not do something with that as well, Tennis however yea, has me baffled.

I have no idea why you are baffled at tennis, as any racquet based sport is popular in China. In fact tennis is only behind football (soccer) and basketball in popularity (and maybe badminton). Also, baseball was always a thing in Japan.

I have no idea why you are baffled at tennis, as any racquet based sport is popular in China. In fact tennis is only behind football (soccer) and basketball in popularity (and maybe badminton). Also, baseball was always a thing in Japan.
The Zoltor pattern continues.

And is Doom 2016 better on Switch? The Witcher 3? Sonic Forces? Diablo III? Wolfenstein The New Colossus? Bloodstained? Wasteland 2? Sonic Team Racing?

Hand picking a couple of games that were enhanced on Switch to make a point about Switch multiplatform games being better than on PS4 seems a bit silly.

You didn't read my post, most of those are western so called SSS games Bloodstained has nothing to do with the system, and is being fixed(that was a sloppy port to say the least), I don't know anout Sonic Forces, but It's Sega, need I say more, I repeat, It's sega.

Besides if you read my original post, I never said all ports tend to run better on the Switch, I said the games from the PS 4 library "I care about" other then Shenmue 3, and perhaps Ghost of Tsushima, are getting ported to the Switch, and "tend" to be better then the PS 4 versions.

Frankly the only exception to that has been Bloodstained, so my statement stands, and is indeed valid.

Last edited:
Besides Dragon Quest (can't comment on Disgaea 5 - I own it, but have never played it on PS4), I can't think of a single PS4 game that is 'objectively' better on Switch... So I still really don't get your point.

Besides Dragon Quest (can't comment on Disgaea 5 - I own it, but have never played it on PS4), I can't think of a single PS4 game that is 'objectively' better on Switch... So I still really don't get your point.

I beg to differ, faster loading/saving, the entire game on the card+read from such, games that were actually meant to have a achievement system has such built into the game, and lets not forget how fast you can boot everything up, and be in the game playing.

Some gamers won't like Shenmue 3 because people are different and not everyone likes the same things.

While this is true, and I'm ok with that, what really annoys me are the closed minded who clearly never played such,, claims to be a fan of the adventure genre/similar games, yet still makes statements against the Shenmue games, most being downright false statements at that.

Back