Project Update #104: Shenmue 3 by Ys Net

Playing as Ryo and Shenua seemed unpopular when it was announced , so I doubt too many people are broken up about the character perspective system.

Not at all surprised that other forum still found a way to be outraged. They’re probably upset they can’t keep bumping their other thread about this for another three months.

Yeah, if there was going to be one stretch goal we lost, I'm glad it's that one.

I never really knew what Baisha was to be honest. I assumed it was a story-focused area at the end of the game, but maybe I got that wrong.

It seems that all of the content we would have gotten is included in one way or another anyway. I expect it will just be a slightly smaller area than was once planned with a different name.

As for the character perspective system, was I the only one that wasn’t at all keen on this idea? For me, this has always been Ryo’s story and walking in his footsteps kind of made it feel like mine by extension. The idea of suddenly taking control of another character wasn’t one that interested me in that sense and I’m not at all disappointed to see the idea dropped (especially if doing so lead to improvements being made elsewhere).

Yes, it would've been like what killed Halo 2, i.e., not playing part of it as Master Chief. STUPID!

Okay, really?

Already a thread on Resetera talking about the stretch goals and how it's a scam too.

We lost ONE thing. All other goals are in except for like..3. Come ON, people.

People just want this to fail.

That is the one thing that saddens me the most. I can take disappointment. Fine, so be it, you’re not getting what you thought you were getting then you have every right to be disappointed by it.

But this whole “scam” narrative is still just bizarre. I mean it’s not like the man in his 60’s took your money and ran for the nearest beach to sip on his cocktail by the sun and gave nothing in return. Unlike other Kickstarters I could mention.

The scam narrative is just an extension of this faux outrage crap and, unfortunately, I don’t see it going away any time soon. Cue the youtubers making their click bait videos....you know it’s coming.

Again, not to argue, all I’m saying is that the faux outrage train probably isn’t gonna be leaving anytime soon. That’s the last I’ll say about it and move on. Because quite frankly it’s just depressing to hear the same bullshit over and over again. Be disappointed all you want but the faux outrage train is just too depressing and you know it‘s gonna hover over it for a long time.

Last edited:
Playing as Ryo and Shenua seemed unpopular when it was announced , so I doubt too many people are broken up about the character perspective system.

Not at all surprised that other forum still found a way to be outraged. They’re probably upset they can’t keep bumping their other thread about this for another three months.

I didn't really like the idea of playing as Ren & Shenhua, But I like the idea of having them follow you a bit like mass effect / dragon age and them influencing how people respond to you (which seems to have made it into the game).

Isn't a Tulou a sort of castle anyway ?
I mean, I guess it depends on what you define a castle as personally. Anyway the concept art showed a town with several tulou and it doesnt look like that is the case anymore.

Btw I dont think Shenmue 3 is a scam in anyway, thats nonsense. Yu Suzuki had to intentionally from the onset have the goal of not doing these things for it to be a scam and that definitely aint true. It is still a reversal of what was pitched tho.

Yes, it would've been like what killed Halo 2, i.e., not playing part of it as Master Chief. STUPID!

You've hit it. This is why the Character system is a fine thing to lose. It is Ryo's story and always has been. It would have been unique to play as Ren or Shenhua, but most would find it too jarring.

Certain things are as they are and cannot be changed. People play Halo for Chief, not the Arbiter. Same with Snake and Raiden from MGS2 back then.

It's intrinsically same as movies. Terminator without ol' Arnold? Indiana Jones without Ford? Nope, not interested.

I mean, I guess it depends on what you define a castle as personally. Anyway the concept art showed a town with several tulou and it doesnt look like that is the case anymore.

Btw I dont think Shenmue 3 is a scam in anyway, thats nonsense. Yu Suzuki had to intentionally from the onset have the goal of not doing these things for it to be a scam and that definitely aint true. It is still a reversal of what was pitched tho.

I don’t think anyone is indicating that you said that...it’s more so just the common sentiment from other people...but hey, it’s the same song and dance it’s been for a month and what can you do at this point? That narrative is gonna hover by others but what can anyone really do at this point

I just viewed the Resetera thread and lo and behold there isnt really any outrage. It was like one person making a thread and all the rest saying how little a deal it was. Why lie about outrage when there is none? Or am I missing somethin?

Where is the outrage in this thread besides the OP? :p:ROFLMAO:

So Ragdoll got implemented? Now I’m even more curious how old that B roll footage at E3 was cause it didn’t look like there was much rag doll stuff going on in combat.

Ragdoll is such a broad term. It could be as simple as enemies "ragdoll" on death or when knocked over.
It could be that the ragdoll effect increases as you further train your skills in order to make Ryo's hits appear more powerful.
By the end of the game we might be kicking enemies right across a room... you never know.

People are getting their refunds. The controversy should for most intents be dead, yet somehow it isn’t.

I just viewed the Resetera thread and lo and behold there isnt really any outrage. It was like one person making a thread and all the rest saying how little a deal it was. Why lie about outrage when there is none? Or am I missing somethin?

I don’t know. I haven’t checked it for myself. I don’t read ResetEra and really want nothing to do with that place for personal reasons. But that’s just me. Me personally? I’m not even indicating them. I’m simply saying that outrage will exist whether we like it or not. It’s only inevitable and really what can you do about it? Someone somewhere will be outraged that they’re not getting what they expected or wanted...it’s only inevitable. Like I said, difference between outrage and disappointment. One is reasonable, the other isn’t. We saw that in the last month as was.

Anyways I personally don’t want to focus on this so I’m bowing out of this conversation right now. No offence, just yeah, after the last month of reading hot takes and such, I really don’t want any bar of it again. So I’m bowing out of this topic for now.

Be Excellent to Each Other folks.

I got banned for 2 days lol. Yea i am well done with that place too. Removed the bookmarks and unfollowed all of their staff. They thrive on toxic gaming culture there. That's their thing. They can keep it.

I got banned for 2 days lol. Yea i am well done with that place too. Removed the bookmarks and unfollowed all of their staff. They thrive on toxic gaming culture there. That's their thing. They can keep it.

Weird. From everything I have seen so far it looks like the update had been pretty well received. Also I dont understand the claims of toxicity unless you mean somehow people appreciating refunds are being toxic?

Ragdoll is such a broad term. It could be as simple as enemies "ragdoll" on death or when knocked over.
It could be that the ragdoll effect increases as you further train your skills in order to make Ryo's hits appear more powerful.
By the end of the game we might be kicking enemies right across a room... you never know.

Yeah, I see your point. I guess we have to wait until we get our hands on the final product to find out for ourselves

Can folks relax now? Or is defending Ys Net from defamatory accusations still banned here, too?

They locked that thread because it backfired so badly, even on Resetera, which usually fires off at Shenmue on every given opportunity. Good.

I'm very excited to see the polish and improvements they make prior to November, but I still feel a delay to January 2020 in my gut that I cannot shake.

Can folks relax now? Or is defending Ys Net from defamatory accusations still banned here?
That was never a bannable offense. Why make up stuff? Calling people haters and whiners because they have valid complaints always seemed to be ignored tho but w.e.

Its a pretty good update all things considered.

lol just saw that thread on RE and was reading through the OP and my blood started to boil!! I was preparing myself for the cesspit of comments that would likely follow, but was actually very surprised to see that people were shitting on the OP :D Glad to see it locked and hope the OP runs for the hills with his tail between his legs! Talk about trying to put a negative spin on things!!!

Last edited:
Back