Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive for PC Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly what has taken me more aback is that the walmart trailer looked so much better, again at the moment of max exposure, a weird trailer focusing mostly on the faces (that let's admit, they don't look good), coming from the news that the game got delayed and at the same time revealing that is a EGS exclusive (I don't mind that much about that TBH, but I get it).
Seems like they are working to demoralize us instead of making us hyped for the game.
Also I doubt that Ysnet is getting money from epic, this seems like a Deep Silver deal, but what do I know.

No, there isn't. And there are no plans for one either. The Shenmue Dojo is not a place for people to come and shout into the void.

I understand. I'm very sad right now, so I get why you're all doing this. It's best for a positive place for shenmue. There's other places for this. That said, I'm worried for the games future and it makes me sad. But I'll keep it to myself. :(

There are now 14 pages of people complaining about this news on the Kickstarter page, most of them demanding refunds or threatening lawsuits.

You really can’t make this shit up. What a debacle.

I’d like to think they really know what they’re doing , but it seems pretty apparent they don’t.

I understand. I'm very sad right now, so I get why you're all doing this. It's best for a positive place for shenmue. There's other places for this. That said, I'm worried for the games future and it makes me sad. But I'll keep it to myself. :(
You don't need to keep it to yourself dude. We're not enforcing positivity, just be calm and civil.

I understand that also. I read your comments since the announcement, and some of them were hard to read. Not so much from a disagreeing standpoint, but its hard for someone like myself who doesn't feel as passionately about this news, to see fans like yourself and others so upset about it, or able to help. I know there's no point trying to talk someone out of their opinions, especially on this issue, but maybe in time there will be some glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Or some positivity to come along in the near future to at least attempt to restore some balance.

There are now 14 pages of people complaining about this news on the Kickstarter page, most of them demanding refunds or threatening lawsuits.

You really can’t make this shit up. What a debacle.

I’d like to think they really know what they’re doing , but it seems pretty apparent they don’t.

They took a bag of money and called it a day. :/
I mean, for real. Cant they just at least deliver what they promised to backers ?

The whole kickstarter feels like a marketing fiasco.

Alright, I'm awake now. Time to process this.

Man, this has been a bit of a crap day, hasn't it?

To the people saying they're gonna sue YSNET....well good luck with that; but you really don't think there are terms and conditions protecting them as a company? You really don't think they didn't consult legal before making any move? I don't think these people have grounds to stand on so to those people, I simply say remove the hyperbole and take a chill pill. Because if I had to wager a bet; I would say you don't really have a case. Unless they want to prove me wrong.

Now, as for YSNET. You're not getting off lightly YSNET. Surely they could have worded this better? Or surely they could have actually taken the time to address what will happen for those who pledged for a Steam Key. Sorry YSNET but you gotta take one on the chin here. Pretty poor messaging that could have been handled better.

I get why people are pissed. I do. Some people don't like Epic's practices. Others just don't want another launcher. Others don't like the tracking shit that was implemented into Epic's earlier versions. Me personally? I'm a Steam guy through and through. I'm a bit bummed by it. I admit, it's probably the first thing that tested my patience but I'm not gonna scream and cry about it either.

I would HOPE Deep Silver address this and, at the very least, make good on their promise for backers. Otherwise I question what the fuck they're doing?

Last edited:
Daaaamn, just got home.

1) The trailer looks amazing. Still needs work, but i loved it.

2) Ys net and Deep Silver must issue steam keys to people who purchased STEAM keys. They advertised it and people bought the product believing they will get a STEAM version. You can't just take someone's money and change the deal later on. That's false advertisement and some may even consider it fraud. I'm sure they're breaking the law in certain countries doing this.

3) I'm sure backers will get steam keys as you can't just sweep something like this under the rug. Best scenario moving forward is for Deep Silver and Ys net to offer steam keys to backers and then sell the game on the EPIC STORE when it releases at retail.

4) The Shenmue 3 Steam page is still up and has been worked on continuously over the last few weeks. Either this deal is very recent or there's more to it than meets the eye.

5) We should wait until we have more information. I understand people being upset, but unless Ysnet and Deep Silver come out and say, "we're keeping your money and you're not getting a Steam key", we must remain calm. We need to find out all the details first.

6) Yu Suzuki is a man of the people and loves his fans. There's no way he would let this go down. There has to be more to it than what we currently know. Not to mention the stain this would cause on the series and his name if this practice went through and they tried to brush it aside.

So yeah, i think its a lets wait and see scenario for now. If backers don't get their steam keys when they purchased a Steam key initially, then I fully support them in wanting their money back. I think its important that we also speak out against such practices since we are the core community of this franchise.

I'm not a PC gamer but i'll be buying multiple Epic Shenmue 3s to play on release, along with the PS4 version.

But yeah, i really do think they will send backers their steam keys. They'd be insane not to. The gaming media and gamers of the industry would never let them forget this. It would be a mighty number 9 scenario again.

Lets wait and see what the full details are before we jump the gun. As always, be respectful to each other when discussing this hot topic. And remember, this is all my opinion, so don't lash out at me lol.

They do, there are certainly some people that are very vocal and are the ones heard, anger drives a lot of attention, and always will. If the game is good it'll sell enough (probably not as much as if it were on steam). The only games I've seen fall due to anger were BFV and the star wars games. Even broken as fuck games like fallout 74 did well.
Just feel like this is benefitting DS more than YSnet.
Probably in a year the game will arrive on steam and no one will care, but still making revenue from sales.
EGS will become better at a time, but people just need time to adapt to changes (I'm ambivalent over the "it's bad to be exclusive on PC" since it has been the way consoles were run since forever, but the EGS is still not there yet).

They took a bag of money and called it a day. :/
I mean, for real. Cant they just at least deliver what they promised to backers ?

The whole kickstarter feels like a marketing fiasco.
Eagerly awaiting a generic "We understand your concerns..." statement from Deep Silver. Chances are we'll receive nothing, though.

Like I wrote on KS and Era, this is just an incomprehensibly stupid decision. I won't ask for refund but I am so very disappointed in the jesters that run this ship holding something so dear to me in it's cargo.

The worst part of all of this is that I actually LIKED the trailer a lot! Sure it didn't show gameplay like I wanted, but it looks so Shenmue and it has so much personality on such a limited budget. But I can't think about much less talk about the trailer now because of the Epic announcement.

When games like Bloodstained cancelled versions like Vita or Wii U they offer a the users to get a key for a different platform. Even when I think that the ideal way to proceed here is to send the Steam keys to backers only I really doubt they will refund any money from the Kickstarter, based on that funding platform story.

On the other side looks like the PC community is getting toxicty levels higher than the console market, that's really sad. I am not a PC gamer and I have Steam, Origin and uPlay installed, zero drama. The EGS vs Steam thing is the new "war", just that.

I fear for Shenmue 4 now. The audience on Epic Games Store hardly cares for shenmue as much as steam. They just lost tons of sales, and hundreds of thousands of people already boycott the epic games store as it is. I don't want to say RIP Shenmue 4, but... Rip? Looks like I will have to buy a used ps4 earlier than I thought :(

When games like Bloodstained cancelled versions like Vita or Wii U they offer a the users to get a key for a different platform. Even when I think that the ideal way to proceed here is to send the Steam keys to backers only I really doubt they will refund any money from the Kickstarter, based on that funding platform story.

On the other side looks like the PC community is getting toxicty levels higher than the console market, that's really sad. I am not a PC gamer and I have Steam, Origin and uPlay installed, zero drama. The EGS vs Steam thing is the new "war", just that.
People were offered full refunds over the Vita cancellation. As upsetting as it was for myself being a big Vita guy, they handled it the absolute best that they could.

Can i ask some advice, as a non PC gamer who has no dog in this race, a question? Also, i cannot emphasise this enough, i would like impartial, unbiased, black and white facts if possible:

how does this benefit Shenmue? More specifically, financially, and in terms of the future of the franchise.

The reason i want simple black and white facts here, is because i am simply going into this from an outsider perspective, and here's where i am at. So there's this HUGE negative backlash from backers, and my obvious emotion is fear and worry about the series. Is this damaging to the series from a financial standpoint. From what i can see, there are predictions that this move will seriously hamper sales.... OK. Whilst those are predictions/opinions, lets take those as fact.
I just cannot get my head around how Deep Silver, or whoever made this call, sat down and made a decision that would hamper their profits from their investment from doing something like this. Its illogical. It wouldn't have been done on a whim, or a roll of the dice. Someone, or some team will have crunched the numbers here and decided that this was best to ensure the most profits. I remember some facts a while back about sales percentages being better than Steam, as well as something about the Unreal engine?

I am just trying to get some facts going, and hopefully some sort of hope that this series isn't dead, or left hanging, as some of you are predicting. Deep Silver have invested in this project, and i just don't understand the logic that they will do that, then make such a drastic move such as this, to jeopardise the profits from that investment.

The worst part of all of this is that I actually LIKED the trailer a lot! Sure it didn't show gameplay like I wanted, but it looks so Shenmue and it has so much personality on such a limited budget. But I can't think about much less talk about the trailer now because of the Epic announcement.
This is how I feel, which makes me really hope that they see how negative this is an make a U-turn.

Give people the choice, if the Epic store was good people would use it but it just isn't. Don't force them to use such a unpopular service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back